Have you ever used edmodo in your classroom?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by HorseLover, Aug 7, 2013.

1. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Aug 7, 2013

Have you ever use edmodo (or something similar) in you elementary class? I am considering using it in my 4th grade class this year (I will be a first year teacher). How did you use it? I was thinking of making it somewhat "optional" in a sense (in case some students do not have computers at home), but where I can post questions or polls, etc to extend their thinking.

3. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 7, 2013

We use edmodo in our district. I just got started with it too, but I wouldn't use it with my kindergarten students/families. I primarily use it to share resources with other teachers in the district.

4. live

live Companion

Aug 7, 2013

I used it. I also made it optional since some of my students didn't have internet access at home and we didn't have the resources to use it regularly in the classroom.

Since it was my first year using it, I had some pitfalls as far as the kids turning in homework. They would either turn it in late or under the wrong assignment, so I wouldn't find it for a while later. I had a lot of students and it just ended up being so much to keep track of.

Eventually, I stopped allowing students to turn in homework this way and just posted it so they could see it. I also used it for reminders, sharing extra resources, practice quizzes, and so the kids could ask me questions and get help from home. It was EXTREMELY helpful for that.

The next time I use it, I'll teach them how to use it a little better at the start of the school year. Another thing I would've done differently: have the students respond to 1-2 discussion questions per marking period on Edmodo. If they couldn't get to a computer at home, I could've let the use one in class. That way all of the students could've become familiar with it and added to discussions instead of being left out. Online learning is becoming a big thing now (I know I responded to a lot of discussions in college), so it's a good skill to learn early on.

5. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 7, 2013

Debating between Edmodo and Schoology. Both have their pros/cons.

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 7, 2013

I will be using it this year (1st time). I will make it mandatory, because my students will have access to the computers in the classroom daily.

7. First School

First School Rookie

Aug 8, 2013

I think use of Endomo in classroom is very effective and great way to integrate technology into the classroom. It provide learning platform for the student and serves the best means of teacher-student communication. The best part of it is its security. The data uploaded there are very customized and can grant access to only certain people you want.

8. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 8, 2013

Yes I totally agree. I will be using it this year since I'm seeing that most students at least have smartphones so generally one way or another they'll have some type of access.