Have you ever taken a mini-vacation during the school year?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by giraffe326, Aug 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2012

We receive personal days (not sure how many) and as long as we get it approved by our principal, then he doesn't really care what we use it for! I never have taken a mini-vacay during the school year, but I would if it were something important or family related.

2. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 30, 2012

I'll often take a weekend trip with my SO, but I really don't like to take time off during the week unless I'm very ill.

Last year was an exception, though, because I had an awful experience at the middle school level. I took off lots of time during the school year (my doctor even recommended putting me on stress leave).

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2012

Based on what I've learned from many posters here, I definitely believe that "most districts" don't allow personal days to be used for vacations. In my very large district, however, it's totally fine. Personal days can be used for anything and everything. As long as we notify our admin ahead of time and have the days to use, we can use them for anything we like.

Sick days, which are different from personal days in my district, are a different story. If you take a sick day, you better be sick or have a sick family member. If you take a sick day and end up on vacation, you'll probably get written up.

4. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 30, 2012

Good for you! That's very noble. :hugs:

BTW, I wasn't talking about YOU thinking your class can't run without you- how would I know THAT?? I just know people who seem to feel this way in general. The "phooey" was aimed at her family members who were surprised by her decision. To each his own. I haven't personally taken a vacation during school except once I missed ONE whole day! :whistle:

5. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 30, 2012

I took three personal days once to go on a trip. We can use personal days however we want, as long as they aren't taken directly before or after a school vacation. We get two each year, and can accumulate up to four. A couple of contracts ago, the policy changed that you can't take more than two consecutive days without special approval. When I did this, it was a commonplace occurrence. To be honest, I don't know if I would miss that much work time again for a trip since we get so much vacation time as it is!

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 30, 2012

In my district if you took a sick day and weren't sick or had a dr appt, you could be fired.

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 30, 2012

At my first job, I had an opportunity to go to England to stay with a friend, a recently retired teacher. We basically went over a long weekend and I took off one PD day as well. I would have had to have a doctors note to miss PD at that job so I didn't even try to call in sick. I just told them where I was going and accepted that I would be docked pay for that day. No one made a big deal out of it.

In October I am taking my sister to Disney, which means I am also pulling her from school for a few days. I am not happy about this but we don't ever do anything like this - I think she will be ok. At this job, we can use our personal days on whatever we want, so I will be using three days, plus weekend and Columbus Day.

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 30, 2012

I have once. DS won an all expense paid trip to Disney World by selling Boy Scout popcorn. We had to take the trip by a certain date. My school didn't have a break within the time frame.

I asked to take the time off. I was told no. I had a fit, as a couple of other teachers were taking time to go on a vacation. One of the 2 teachers always took an unpaid vacation every year. I was told that because they had bought the airplane tickets before asking for the time off, she granted them the time off. How is that right? She finally let me go.

At my current school, I only get 5 personal/sick days. I'm always afraid to take a day for a vacation or a mental health day. What if I get really sick? After 5 days we aren't paid.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  9. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Aug 30, 2012

Times have sure changed since I first started teaching. It was always a HUGE "no-no" to take time off during the school year for "get-away trips" or vacations. (And since people can't keep their mouths shut, the staff/administration would always find out.) :naughty:

Take time off before Christmas break? You're fired.
    Sick days (yes, even legitmate ones) during state testing? You're fired. (Naturally, they find another reason to get you.)

By around 2000, I heard people OPENLY declaring things like, "I'm taking the week before Christmas break to go on a cruise," and everyone would react with, "Yeah? So?"

One summer I taught summer school, they made it a point to tell all of the teachers, "You can't miss ANY days because we really don't have any substitutes." Right after the principal left the room where he announced that, this young couple openly laughed and said, "We're going to Disneyworld for a week in July whether he likes it or not." (They did. And for all the threatening that was done, nothing happened.)

As the administration/school district has shown a greater and greater inclination to wipe their rear ends with us over the years, I've made it a point to use more of my sick/personal days for vacations during the year.

:|

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 30, 2012

The rule in my district used to be no more than 3 consecutive days without superintendent approval. A good number of people got married and took honeymoons and who knows what other reasons. Now it is 2 days and we were told not to expect to get more days approved.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2012

I didn't pick the time!! The timing has to do with my sister's schedule. She just finished nursing school to be an RN and she takes her boards in 2 weeks. I have lived here for over 5 years and she has only been down to visit once- last year (coincidentally, it was my other beach trip).

I have always been the type of teacher who would rather go in sick than try to deal with a sub and catching up after a sub. Trust me- taking time off is a new thing for me.

At my school, 3 teachers took an entire week off last year to go on vacations. One actually goes on a cruise every November. I would never do anything like that!!

Anyway, as I mentioned, this is my 6th year here. I also work about 25 (sometimes up to 35) hours a week in retail. I NEVER have time for me. It dawned on me recently that I have never had more than 2 days off in a row from both jobs and been in the state. Ever. Every time I get time off, I go back to see my family. (Note- I moved 750 miles away for my teaching position all alone. I have no one here.) The point of this is- I never make time for me. I plan on moving out of the Carolinas next summer, so this may be my last chance. Would it have been better at a different time? Sure. But my sister will likely be starting full time at a hospital soon and who knows when she will get time off again. This is my 6th year teaching and I have built up 51 sick days. I am obviously not out much. It won't kill my kids to have a sub for 3 days. I am using a retired teacher who is AMAZING. They are in extremely capable hands!!

(I didn't ask the original question to help me decide- I am going! I was more wondering how common it is!)

12. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Aug 30, 2012

Not for vacations. But when my mother was sick (for 1 month with pneumonia before passing away) I took off many days to be with her in a neighboring state. Probably 10 days. Then I was off 6 school days for the funeral and aftermath. Worst time of my life.

13. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 31, 2012

I should add to my story that the one and only time I took three personal days I returned to all of my students (and some teachers) thinking I got married and was away on my honeymoon. A teacher said it as a joke when the kids asked where I was, and it went wildfire. As I walked through the door the morning I returned, a teacher came up to me and said, "I heard congratulations are in order!" I asked her what she meant, and she said she heard I got married. I had to spend the rest of the day dispelling the rumor with all of my classes and coworkers, since part of the rumor was that I was very private and would deny it if they asked anyway. The teacher who started the whole thing found it much more humorous than I did!

14. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2012

I do, but I usually only take 1 day off. We go to a special weekend down the shore with my sister and bil and bil's family twice a year. We usually drive down Thursday after school and come home Sunday. This year I made an opps and scheduled Nick's followup ENT appt for the day we leave, so I'm taking two days in a row. I hate doing that! However, his ENT is only in the office by our house on certain days, so it was the best time to see him.

The only other time I've taken multiple days in a row has been for illness or when my grandpa died in February. Otherwise, I try to take only one day...and even that can be hard with all of the sub plans!

15. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 31, 2012

I take LOTS of mini vacations. But never really during the school week. I usually do a few weekend road trips, and some trips on School Breaks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.