Have you ever taken a mini-vacation during the school year?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by giraffe326, Aug 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2012

This is my 6th year living in NC. I have been to 'the beach' exactly once. I haven't done another single touristy thing. I live 30 minutes from Charlotte and I have never been anywhere but a shopping establishment (or the race track ;) ).
    Anyway, my family planned on using me as a sleeping stop on their way to and from the beach in October. Ummm, I told them that they could stay- but I was going with them! They couldn't believe I was taking days off in the year. (I will miss 3 school days.) It is pretty common at my school- I may be the only one who has never done it!!

Have YOU ever taken a mini-vacation and missed school?

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 29, 2012

No. I pretty much have resigned to no life between September and June. :lol:

Well, some teacher friends and I did go to Cancun last year for spring break. It was well earned! But we didn't dare miss school for it. :eek: I'm envious!

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2012

We're not allowed to use personal days for vacations. We couldn't at my last school either. I get it- we have tons of weeks off throughout the year to take vacations. I'd also be worried about leaving my class with a sub for that long (not to mention all the work for me preparing for the sub- might as well just be there!)

I thought about taking a Friday or Monday off last year to have a long weekend to surprise my mom for her 50th birthday, but in the end didn't end up doing it. I already go "home" several times a year and I just couldn't afford the price of another flight, especially when I thought about the cost vs. how long I'd actually be there.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2012

Last year I took two days off so that my hoosband and I could have a long weekend in Phoenix for his birthday. I ended up getting really sick during the trip. It was awful. I had to load up on anti-nausea medication and Pedialyte for the long drive home.

I probably wouldn't take more than 3 days off from school at a time unless it were a very special occasion and something I couldn't reschedule for a break or the summertime.

6. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Aug 29, 2012

I've taken a day off or so to have an extended weekend to go to Disneyland with my family. Didn't regret it for a second! I still think of the time when my nieces and nephews and I got caught in a hailstorm during one of those trips! Ninety five percent of the time I have always coordinated trips during summer or breaks, but I have taken a day or two off to go on a mini vacay. Have fun Giraffe!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2012

I missed a day of school once when a friend got married in North Carolina and Peter was best man; had we waited until after school on Friday we would have missed the rehearsal and dinner.

Beyond that, no. I've been absent, but for illness (my own or my kids), funerals, that sort of thing.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 30, 2012

I never have. We can take 2 consecutive days off at a time. I might do it for something special, and I do think your family coming in is pretty special, but I wouldn't just do it for a regular occurrence. I can plan those around our breaks.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2012

We don't have personal days, so for any absences, other than illness, we must request unpaid leave and must have administrator and then superintendent approval. There is a list of circumstances under which we can request unpaid leave--several years ago, when my daughter's soccer team was competing in the National Championships, I was granted 3 days off so that I could travel with the team (I was the manager). If my request had been denied, I wouldn't have been able to go.

Requests for time off for a vacation would not be considered.

10. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 30, 2012

Oh, phooey. If you're allowed to do it, do it. ;) Have fun!! Some people think their class won't run without them-that's ridiculous. Yes, three days is the longest I'd take at a time- just because I don't want to do the extra work before and after a sub, but if it's a one-time-thing and you don't have any terrible repercussions, I say go for it!

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2012

The question was "Have you ever taken a mini-vacation during the school year?"

It's not about advice or whether my class can run without me, it's about the choices I've made. I've chosen not to take vacations during school time.

12. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Aug 30, 2012

Why does it feel like it takes an act of congress to take the occasional day off? There is no other profession I can think of that makes it so hard to take any day off- even to go see the doctor.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 30, 2012

If you have the time take off. You shouldn't feel you have "no life" during the school year. I would have an issue with someone who continuously takes off for non-medical issues but if you have not done it before and it is approved then go for it.

14. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Aug 30, 2012

We get four personal days each year. When I first started teaching, I was reluctant to use them. Now I do. I haven't taken a vacation, but I do take a long weekend or two.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2012

I've used a personal day for a day trip getaway...but mostly my school year 'mini vacations' are during school breaks.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 30, 2012

We get 2 personal days. I am taking a long weekend in Sept (I worked all summer in summer school so NO I could not take a long weekend then and this particular weekend is an unavoidable family function). I asked my assistant principal about taking the day and she said OF COURSE!! No problem. You never even take a sick day! I was wondering if you would never take a day off :lol:

17. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 30, 2012

I get a grand total of 1 personal day a year! But I go away every spring break.

18. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2012

I've never done it. It is against our agreed upon contract and I would say that is the case for most districts. Even those with "no tell" personal days specify what those days can be used for.

19. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Aug 30, 2012

I did last year. It was the first time in my career I did it. Given my circumstances though I could justify it. Before the school year started last year my father passed away on August 5th. I went back to work 10 days later on August 15th. I was walking around in a fog. At that time, my mother and I discussed me taking a leave. We both needed each other to help with the healing process. We both agreed after much talk that it would be better for us both if we were together on holidays. I spoke with my principal who agreed to help me. She allowed me to have long weekends at both my mother's and father's birthday and their wedding anniversary along with my own birthday. She also gave me three weeks at Christmas. It really helped in my situation to be able to focus solely on mine and my mother's healing. I think you have to look at your situation and do what's best for you. Talk with you principal. If you have a good one they'll help you balance the decision you make giving you the perspective from the classroom with which you can offer your own personal experience. Everyone's situation is definitely different.

20. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 30, 2012

We are not allowed to. Teachers do it anyway, but it is seriously frowned upon. I took a 1/2 day (they didn't even get a sub because it included my planning period and lunch) to go to New Orleans for a Thursday night game when they were unveiling the Superbowl banner. Other than that I have never missed for a personal day.

21. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Aug 30, 2012

I took a day last year to go to Mardi Gras. I will take 1 day this year too!. Two of my cousins are on a float throwing those beads.

I've heard the beaches in North Carolina are awesome. Have fun.

22. greendream

greendream Cohort

Aug 30, 2012

I haven't taken 3 days consecutively, but you can bet that I take my 3 personal days before the year is over, because we lose them. I have used them for mini-vacations, because as far as I'm aware, we're allowed to.

23. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2012

Yes. In the USA I took my sick day every single month to go on mini-vacations. When I left I didn't have a single sick day to my name:)

The biggest trip I went on was I took two days and went to a friend's wedding in New Orleans. Best. wedding. ever.

Oh and here in CR we don't really have sick days or personal days. We can ask for days off and are either approved or not approved. We don't get paid when we're not here. This year I took off a full week to go home for my mom's wedding and my brother's university graduation. I think that was justified!

24. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 30, 2012

I have to pay for a sub ---even if one isn't hired---if I take a personal day. So, no! But I have scheduled an appointment to get my allergy shot early on a Friday morning so that we could leave for a weekend trip. My allergist will give shots as early as 7.

25. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2012

Nope. My contract is 185 days a year. That leaves a lot of days for my enjoyment. The closest I ever came was taking a personal day on a Friday to go on a weekend getaway with a friend. Ive only taken three personal days in 20 years, and one of those was to take my comps for my masters.

26. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2012

For the first time I wll fly to Nashville on a Thurs afternoon to attend a Vandy vs UF football game so I guess this is a mini vacation. Taking one day off. I tried to cancel when I discovered our fall festival was that weekend but the airline will not let me
    1. transfer it to a friend's daughter who really wants to go 2. refund the ticket
    They give me a one year credit on the ticket which I would not use. I despise the airlines rules (which they obviously bought from congress.)

27. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Aug 30, 2012

I got married in March and took 3 days off. I'll never do it again because I felt like the rest of the year was off because I was trying to play catch up with the curriculum. I should add that normally you can not take 3 days in a row off without a drs note. Weddings are the one exception because you get a free wedding day off.

28. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Aug 30, 2012

We get three personal days to use for any reason. Last year I took them all - mostly for graduate school classes I had to attend. It seems to be the norm at my school for teachers to take them all.

This year I plan to take one for my brother's wedding, and saving the rest in case something unexpected comes up. As far as vacations go, teachers at my school have taken off entire weeks for this - not often but it happens. I'm assuming it is without pay, but it is nice to know they allow it.

29. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Aug 30, 2012

We get three personal days to use for any reason. Last year I took them all - mostly for graduate school classes I had to attend. It seems to be the norm at my school for teachers to take them all, we do lose them at the end of the year.

This year I plan to take one for a family wedding, and saving the rest in case something unexpected comes up. As far as vacations go, teachers at my school have taken off entire weeks for this - not often but it happens. I'm assuming it is without pay, but it is nice to know they allow it.

30. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 30, 2012

I never did, because I felt too guilty. And, I hated getting ready for a sub.

Reason #412 I love my new job: Taking time off when I need to, or just want to. Today is my daughter's birthday, so I'm leaving at 2:00 to take her to the state fair (my kids don't have school today for some reason). No sub, no kids left with someone unqualified. I just put up a sign and leave!

I'm going to NASCAR race in October, and Jamaica in January. I can't wait!

31. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 30, 2012

Officially, we receive 2 personal days, and 10 sick/funeral days. For the past two years in a row, I have gone over my days and ended up with 1/2 paychecks pretty much through the summer. My mom died in the spring of 2011, and I ended up taking 4 weeks extended leave to deal with her estate/my grief. I still made lesson plans, copies, etc. (Funny, when my coworker was on maternity leave, she didn't... but that's another gripe.) Last year, I began having back/shoulder problems (cervical stenosis, not worker's comp unfortunately) and had to take a bunch of days off toward the end of the year (including field day) for medical procedures.

This year, my daughter is pregnant with my 3rd grandchild and is due late December-mid January, so I'm only gonna take off with an act of Congress before then!

That being said, hurricane Isaac has done me a favor - we get a 5-day Labor Day weekend!

32. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2012

We receive personal days (not sure how many) and as long as we get it approved by our principal, then he doesn't really care what we use it for! I never have taken a mini-vacay during the school year, but I would if it were something important or family related.

33. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 30, 2012

I'll often take a weekend trip with my SO, but I really don't like to take time off during the week unless I'm very ill.

Last year was an exception, though, because I had an awful experience at the middle school level. I took off lots of time during the school year (my doctor even recommended putting me on stress leave).

34. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2012

Based on what I've learned from many posters here, I definitely believe that "most districts" don't allow personal days to be used for vacations. In my very large district, however, it's totally fine. Personal days can be used for anything and everything. As long as we notify our admin ahead of time and have the days to use, we can use them for anything we like.

Sick days, which are different from personal days in my district, are a different story. If you take a sick day, you better be sick or have a sick family member. If you take a sick day and end up on vacation, you'll probably get written up.

35. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 30, 2012

Good for you! That's very noble. :hugs:

BTW, I wasn't talking about YOU thinking your class can't run without you- how would I know THAT?? I just know people who seem to feel this way in general. The "phooey" was aimed at her family members who were surprised by her decision. To each his own. I haven't personally taken a vacation during school except once I missed ONE whole day! :whistle:

36. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 30, 2012

I took three personal days once to go on a trip. We can use personal days however we want, as long as they aren't taken directly before or after a school vacation. We get two each year, and can accumulate up to four. A couple of contracts ago, the policy changed that you can't take more than two consecutive days without special approval. When I did this, it was a commonplace occurrence. To be honest, I don't know if I would miss that much work time again for a trip since we get so much vacation time as it is!

37. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 30, 2012

In my district if you took a sick day and weren't sick or had a dr appt, you could be fired.

38. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 30, 2012

At my first job, I had an opportunity to go to England to stay with a friend, a recently retired teacher. We basically went over a long weekend and I took off one PD day as well. I would have had to have a doctors note to miss PD at that job so I didn't even try to call in sick. I just told them where I was going and accepted that I would be docked pay for that day. No one made a big deal out of it.

In October I am taking my sister to Disney, which means I am also pulling her from school for a few days. I am not happy about this but we don't ever do anything like this - I think she will be ok. At this job, we can use our personal days on whatever we want, so I will be using three days, plus weekend and Columbus Day.

39. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 30, 2012

I have once. DS won an all expense paid trip to Disney World by selling Boy Scout popcorn. We had to take the trip by a certain date. My school didn't have a break within the time frame.

I asked to take the time off. I was told no. I had a fit, as a couple of other teachers were taking time to go on a vacation. One of the 2 teachers always took an unpaid vacation every year. I was told that because they had bought the airplane tickets before asking for the time off, she granted them the time off. How is that right? She finally let me go.

At my current school, I only get 5 personal/sick days. I'm always afraid to take a day for a vacation or a mental health day. What if I get really sick? After 5 days we aren't paid.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  40. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Aug 30, 2012

Times have sure changed since I first started teaching. It was always a HUGE "no-no" to take time off during the school year for "get-away trips" or vacations. (And since people can't keep their mouths shut, the staff/administration would always find out.) :naughty:

Take time off before Christmas break? You're fired.
    Sick days (yes, even legitmate ones) during state testing? You're fired. (Naturally, they find another reason to get you.)

By around 2000, I heard people OPENLY declaring things like, "I'm taking the week before Christmas break to go on a cruise," and everyone would react with, "Yeah? So?"

One summer I taught summer school, they made it a point to tell all of the teachers, "You can't miss ANY days because we really don't have any substitutes." Right after the principal left the room where he announced that, this young couple openly laughed and said, "We're going to Disneyworld for a week in July whether he likes it or not." (They did. And for all the threatening that was done, nothing happened.)

As the administration/school district has shown a greater and greater inclination to wipe their rear ends with us over the years, I've made it a point to use more of my sick/personal days for vacations during the year.

:|

41. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 30, 2012

The rule in my district used to be no more than 3 consecutive days without superintendent approval. A good number of people got married and took honeymoons and who knows what other reasons. Now it is 2 days and we were told not to expect to get more days approved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.