Have you ever participated in a strike?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bella84, Mar 30, 2016.

1. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 4, 2016

I think you're missing the point. Foursquare pointed out that the union couldn't legally strike over the other things (class size, supplies, funding for schools, etc.) because they could only legally strike over unfair labour practices (furloughs, elimination of lanes/steps, etc.)

2. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 4, 2016

I understand that... I'm not sure what point I am missing... The timing of the strike was directly correlated to the timing of teachers losing take-home pay. All of those other things have and will continue to be issues. It's quite likely that there will be another, longer-term strike to address those things specifically, when it is allowed legally, after the fact-finding and cool-off period.

Also, as I already pointed out, the furlough days are not considered an unfair labor practice.

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Apr 4, 2016

Exactly! You can't walk over anything else. It has to be an unfair labor practice, and that didn't come up until now.

And you absolutely cannot get further lane credit. I know because they owe me a lane bump and a step raise for my 2nd master's degree. We're talking THOUSANDS of dollars. But if you could solve all those environmental issues tomorrow with me on a pay freeze, I'd take it in a heartbeat. I'd go North Carolina-style and freeze my pay for another year just to get the resources my kids need. And I know many many teachers who would. We unfortunately have to keep fighting this media rhetoric (and apparently from our OWN!) that we are only doing this for $!

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 4, 2016

Maybe I'm confused about what you are saying... The steps (and lanes) were not given back in September, and it is the lack of the steps (and lanes) that the union is saying are an unfair labor practice. The pension pickup is a separate issue (one that I admittedly do not know about whether or not it qualifies as unfair labor practice). So, if the steps (and lanes) are truly the issue, then I don't see why it was necessary to wait until April 1. And, beyond that, the pension pickup was not taken away anyway. So, even if that does count as an unfair labor practice, there would be no basis for striking over it.

As far as lanes, I'm just going off of what my building delegate told us, but I would trust your firsthand experience over her word of mouth, so I stand corrected on that.

I'm most certainly not trying to say that the union is doing this all for the money (meaning teacher salaries and benefits). I'm just pointing out the timing between the April 1 strike and the day that we were threatened with losing the pension pickup. My issue is really more with the fact that I more or less bullied (by my delegate, not the union as a whole necessarily) into partaking in an activity that I have no interest in being a part of. I don't care if I remain a union member, but I don't really want to be an outcast at my school. I believe that people have the right to make up their minds about issues and choose what activities they will partake in. This was truly presented as a "join us or else..." activity... at least in my building. Although the union might have accepted having members just stay home and not cross the picket line, my delegate specifically said that staying home wasn't an option.

And, lastly, I'll just bring this back to the communication issue. It really is hard to get the information from anywhere but the media. I don't outright believe everything they say, but I'm not really getting much information from the union (I've been checking the Facebook page, the website, waiting for emails... nothing!), so I have to seek it out on the only other place I know where to look... the media. :confused: