Have you ever overslept on a school day?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SF_Giants66, May 27, 2014.

1. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

May 27, 2014

It's rare, but at jobs many people have had days where their alarm clock is set wrong, dies in the middle of the night, or they sleep right through it.

I remember one time in 7th grade a teacher didn't show and we were taken to study hall.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 27, 2014

I've overslept but still made it to school...never overslept so much that I didn't get to school or needed coverage.

4. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

May 27, 2014

My second year teaching I overslept on an observation day. We had had a power surge that night so my alarm didn't go off. i awoke when my phone rang and it was the school secretary on the other end asking where I was and if there'd been an emergency.

Going to work was a complete nightmare. When My P came to observe me about 15 minutes after my arrival (school started at 7:30. I got there at like 8:25) i was so flustered/embarrassed/unprepared. To this day I don't know how I made it through without having a complete nervous breakdown.

I don't remember my score, but I'm sure it wasn't very good,

Since then I no longer use a tradition alarm, rather i set my cell phone to go off at different times.that way even if the power goes out, my alarm will still go off. I have a night mare at least 2 - 3 times a year about oversleeping.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 27, 2014

I worry about oversleeping... but my body is so accustomed to waking up at 5:30 that it happens no matter what. Wednesday during a school day? Wake up at 5:30. Christmas Eve? Wake up at 5:30.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 27, 2014

I have. The power had gone out and when I set my alarm for the next morning, it was PM not AM. I woke up before school began, but I lived 40 minutes away, so I couldn't get there in time. I called (I was actually too early to call- the office wasn't in yet) on my way there and someone covered for me. I was out the door within 5 minutes or so (threw clothes on, brushed teeth, pulled my hair up), but the drive prevented me from getting there on time. I was about 5 minutes past the tardy bell. Which meant that I was 65 minutes late for teachers' start time. Oops!

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 27, 2014

I never have, but the worry has definitely crossed my mind.

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 27, 2014

I have done it once at my current school (last year), but I made it in 5 minutes before the bell rang. The front office was worried because I wasn't there at the time we always get there, and I didn't call but it was ok.
    In my LTS I overslept once and missed the first period, but it was not a big deal.

I have my alarm and my cell phone go off at different times, so even if the power goes out, my cell phone still holds the charge. My problem in the past was that I would keep hitting the snooze button to the point where it no longer went off, or accidentally turned off the alarm and kept sleeping. Or I thought I'd sleep 5 more minutes, turned the alarm off and fell asleep.
    To combat this, for the past 4 years I always have my cell phone or the alarm so far away from me that I have to get up and walk across the room to snooze it. This wakes me up and I know I have to get up.

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 27, 2014

I've done it before. I arrived in time for the students' warning bell, though.

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

May 27, 2014

I'm always worried about this. I set 3 alarms every day so that I'll wake up! And if I have a really important event, I'll sometimes have someone call me in the morning.

I've never overslept, but once I walked up to my classroom right when the bell rang. My car wouldn't start that morning. My husband was deployed and I had a hard time finding someone to help me because I didn't know a lot of people. All of my students were already at the room when I got there.

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 27, 2014

I now have 2 alarms set because I did this.mi took Benadryl the night before and couldn't wake up. The phone (I only had one and it was in the kitchen.) woke me up and I heard pounding on my door. My principal had come to make sure I was ok. I flung the door open (nightgown and bed hair), shouted that I was up, slammed the door, and flew to the shower. I was so embarrassed. I'm normally very early, so they started calling before school. I was about 45 minutes late and everyone was vey sweet about being concerned.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 27, 2014

I do this, too. At my old house, I had my alarm in the master bathroom. Not only did I have to get up to turn it off, the sound echoed well with the tile floors making it even louder.

13. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

May 27, 2014

I did this earlier this year. I am still unsure what happened. I woke up 15 minutes before I had to be at school but it takes 25 minutes for me to get to work. I walked in about 5 minutes after the kids had to be there.

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 27, 2014

Thankfully my school is so flexible, if I oversleep (within reason, as in within a half hour) I can make up the time. Most of my students don't start their classes until 9:30, so that gives me an hour before I'd truly have problems.

15. comaba

comaba Cohort

May 27, 2014

I've done it, though never so late that I've been late to school. I now use 3 alarms, including my cell phone. Even so, one day this year I overslept all the alarms by an hour. I guess I was really tired! :)

16. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 27, 2014

I normally bike to work. So if I oversleep, that just means I leave later and have to drive my car.

This year, I almost didn't make it on the first day of school. I got a flat and then a blowout a mile later. My wife had to rescue me and my bike from alongside the road and take me to work.

This event did result in increase in the amount I'm allowed to spend on bicycle tires, however.

17. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 27, 2014

I sleep very poorly and have been so exhausted on occasion that I will turn off several alarms without even consciously realizing it. I have never slept late enough to be late for students. I have been late a couple of times due to snowy roads- they don't typically call off for snow here and commute times can be tripled or more. There have been a couple times in the past few years that I didn't even realize a big storm was coming, and didn't know until I stepped outside at my usual leaving time. Once last year a neighboring teacher had to feed my kids breakfast because I arrived a few minutes after they did. It had been almost 70 degrees the day before, I hadn't watched the news, and I had no idea it was even supposed to snow until I stepped out the door.

18. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

May 27, 2014

I've never overslept, but the first week of my first year of teaching, I was two hours late because a chemical tanker had overturned on the highway, and we were just stuck until it all got cleaned up. This was before everyone had cell phones, and I don't think I even knew the school's number at that point. I must have looked pretty upset by the time I got there, because the principal gave me a hug, and I didn't get in any kind of trouble.

19. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 27, 2014

I've overslept once or twice, but even when I do, my body clock always wakes me up before 6:30. It also helps that my BF wakes a little later than I do, and will wake me up if I'm still asleep.

20. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 28, 2014

I've never overslept so much that I didn't make it to school on time, but there have been a couple close calls.

One morning I didn't make it to school until an hour after the start of classes because I couldn't find my glasses! Can you imagine searching for your glasses when you can't see without them? I searched everywhere, called the school and told them what was going on, and they got my class covered for the first hour. I ended up wearing my old prescription for a week before buying a new pair of glasses. The pair that went missing wasn't found until I moved out of my apartment five months later. They were under my bed.

21. rbschreiber@gma

rbschreiber@gma Rookie

May 28, 2014

Despite having 2 alarms set on my cell phone, I did manage to do this once this year. Woke up basically as class would've been starting... Ooops. Felt awful, but managed to get covered and people were decent to me.

22. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

May 28, 2014

No, but I tend to find other things to make me late. Usually, it's a combination of I-95, I-695 and I-83.

23. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 28, 2014

I've done it once where I woke up to the school calling my cell phone. Felt terrible.

24. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 28, 2014

I wish I could oversleep... I'm usually wide awake 30 minutes before my alarm goes off.

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 28, 2014

In all my years of working at schools, I may have once or twice slept longer than I wanted to, but I hustled fast enough where I still arrived in which no one knew the difference.

26. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 28, 2014

I don't remember the last time I set an alarm! I'm up by 5 every morning. With school less than 10 minutes away, and starting at 8:30, I'd have to do some serious oversleeping!

27. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 28, 2014

Nope...but would worry about it all the time!!!

28. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 28, 2014

I think I only overslept once and that's because the power went out in the middle of the night so we were all late. It was no big deal as they got someone to cover for me until I arrived.

29. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 28, 2014

I've never overslept by more than 10 minutes or so - so not enough to actually make me late. However, I have a reoccuring nightmare about it at least once a month. It usually involves me being awoken by a ringing phone at around noon and waking up in horror! :eek:

30. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 28, 2014

One other nice thing about biking. I always know within 2 or 3 minutes exactly how long it will take me to get to work.

Today I had a nice northerly crosswind so it took me 43 minutes from my door to my classroom. Yesterday it was about 46 minutes due to a slight headwind.

But an overturned big-rig on the freeway just isn't my problem. Ever.

31. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

May 28, 2014

I go into work at 11:00 PM, so I sometimes have a nightmare that it is around 2:00 AM and I'm still not at work yet.

32. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

May 28, 2014

The first time happened this year. It was about the third week I'd waited to hear an answer from the school I'd interviewed at. When I'm stressed I don't sleep well. That night, I'd gotten the call from the super saying I got the job. I guess the relief put me into a deep sleep, and being awakened from that deep sleep every hour or so because of DH's snoring didn't help matters any. :mad:

I overslept by nearly an hour. The alarms, yup I set two, were going off, I'd just slept through them. It's usually half-way dark when I wake up, but when I saw the sun shining bright, I knew I was in trouble. I woke up at 7:20. Teachers are supposed to be there by 7:40. Even worse, was that I had duty that day and was supposed to be there at 7:30. :eek: I was late for duty, but I got there about 5 minutes before the bell rang.

From that day until the end of school, I set the two alarms AND had my dad call me, lol.

Beth

33. bora

bora Rookie

May 28, 2014

My alarm is set at 6:30 am but I always wake up at 6:00 am or earlier.

34. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

May 28, 2014

I've never overslept, but I was late one time due to a flat tire. It wasn't a big deal. They had the guidance counselor cover for me until I could get there.

35. greendream

greendream Cohort

May 29, 2014

Luckily, I'm not an oversleeper. I have never hit a snooze button in my life. When I hear the alarm, I'm already halfway out of bed and ready to go. I would be terrified if I overslept.

36. Rox

Rox Cohort

May 29, 2014

With my twin toddlers, I haven't set an alarm in two years and I haven't been late for work.

I do know of a teacher who overslept on the first day of class by about three hours. I saw him sauntering in just before lunch and wondered how he took his lunch break so early.

37. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 29, 2014

One morning, when I was working at a day care center, I woke up at the time I was suppose to be at work. I called my director in a panic. I was about 40 minutes away & I opened the center & always had a Dad there when we opened.

It took her about 5 min. to get me calmed down enough to make me understand that it was a Sunday morning, not a work morning. :lol:

38. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Jun 1, 2014

kpa1b2, now that is funny! I have woken up in a panic a few times thinking I had overslept or that DH had. He just rolled his eyes and reminded me it was a weekend.
    Ironically, I have overslept twice in the past 2 years, once each year during the last week of school. I rushed to get ready both times and made the 20 min drive in a lot less. I didn't have a homeroom and the first 30 mins of the school day was part of my planning so no one noticed. Next year, I am returning to 6th grade and will have a homeroom so I will probably set alarms all of the house out of sheer paranoia!

39. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jun 1, 2014

I never have, but I have hit snooze and fallen back asleep for longer than intended. I've never been late to school, though. (*knock on wood*)

40. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 1, 2014

I did one time. I'm supposed to be to school at 7:45, and the kids come at 8:30. One day I woke up at 7:45. I called school right away, and made it in by 8:20.

41. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jun 1, 2014

Once. I set multiple alarms as well, but being a first year teacher I was so exhausted one morning I slept through them.

Woke up at 8:15. School starts at 8:30 and I have my first class at 8:40. Got ready as quickly as I could and drove the 15 minutes to school, arriving at 8:45.

I called the office when I woke up of course and no one was upset at me, but I'm still very embarrassed.