Have you ever hated a class you had?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Kaley12, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Kaley12

Kaley12 Companion

Dec 7, 2015

I know hate is a strong word, but have you ever had a class that you dreaded heading to each morning and would never want to experience again? I know a few years ago I had a class that I very strongly disliked. There were a handful of boys who were quite loud and obnoxious and were constantly making immature comments across the room to one another, disrupting lessons, and would talk back to me at times. There were also a few girls that had "snotty" attitudes and would roll their eyes at me and just be rather unpleasant. Not to mention a general apathetic attitude from a lot of the students who just couldn't be bothered to put much effort into their work or prepare for tests.

Even though it could have been worse and they weren't out of control, I found it very discouraging because I was still a fairly new teacher (my third year) and it was my first year teaching at the high school level. I put so much time and effort into my plans for each day, and to have a class that could be so disrespectful and blatantly not care really got to me at times. I had a few breakdowns at home because I was so frustrated and discouraged, and I would dread going in to work a lot of days. It made me realize that I much prefer the younger grade levels, which is where I've been teaching ever since.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 7, 2015

I had a really bad class a few years ago. Their behavior was terrible. They were rude to me, rude to each other. They lied constantly. They stole things and broke things. They were just an awful bunch of kids as far as their behavior and attitude. I wasn't sad when that year was over.

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 7, 2015

I definitely dreaded going to class some of my first year and (what I like to call) my pre-first year. I don't think I've ever 'hated' a class though. Even my most difficult students could be enjoyable to be with at times. I teach 8th graders though, so maybe it's different.

I could only imagine if I had a bunch of girls rolling their eyes at me, I would probably roll my eyes right back at them but in a much more comical way.

5. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Dec 7, 2015

I normally have a least favorite class. I could immediately tell you the class I'd like to skip every day. But like peregrin, I don't hate that class. They make me stay on top of my game and they make me work the hardest. But they're also the most rewarding to work with and make me laugh every day.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 7, 2015

No. Never hated a class. Never dreaded going to school...yes, I've had a tough group here or there, but I've always found a way to connect with even my challenging kids...it's my belief that the most difficult kds need our understanding the most and I act from there...which can be a challenge in itself!

yellowdaisies likes this.
  7. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Dec 8, 2015

This is the first year I haven't had a "THAT class." I teach 6 classes (3 per day, alternating) and for various reasons, there's always been one class that I just don't connect with or had a large number of disruptive students that threw the whole class off-task. We soldiered through and I tried to mentally use the non-disruptive students to amp myself up, but I won't lie, it was TOUGH to go to that class some days. :p

This year has been a breeze compared to my last 5 years.

8. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Dec 8, 2015

I'm not a full-time teacher yet, but I had a class of 8th graders in a summer program that I strongly disliked. They were rude, snotty, and disrespectful. I dreaded going to that class everyday and avoided those students because they would ruin my day. I was wondering if anyone has strategies for mentally dealing with challenging classes. The summer program was only 6 weeks and I'm not sure how to make it through a whole year!

9. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Dec 8, 2015

My second year here on this campus was a tough one. I am huge crier at the end of the year when my kids leave me. That year I did not shed one tear over that class. Then my first year in kindergarten was tough. I had a kid who cried all day long everyday! (not exaggerating) and parents from well you know where. I almost quit teaching, that's how bad it was. But I regrouped over the summer and was ok.

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 8, 2015

The (one and only) year I taught middle school, I had one period of students (I clearly remember that it was 5th period) that was incredibly tough. That class included kids who were mainstreamed from Special Ed and another group of students who were being mainstreamed back into the general population after getting kicked out of school. Thankfully, though, the classes (periods) before and after them were wonderful.

As an elementary teacher, I had a few tough kids every year--but nothing unmanageable.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2015

Some of the classes I teach have a few students who can make the class less enjoyable. I take some solace in the fact that they are challenging for all of their teachers, but I am usually glad when they leave my room at the end of the period.

txmomteacher2 likes this.
  12. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Dec 8, 2015

That is one bad thing about teaching kindergarten, at least at my school. We have them ALL day except for when they are at gym, library. Which that is at the beginning of the day. If I could get a break somewhere in the middle of the day that would be awesome. Their is no escaping from the obnoxious ones.

DressageLady likes this.
  13. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Comrade

Dec 9, 2015

I have that class this year. There are so many things wrong with the class--too many bodies for seats--all the boys that play and are foolish together--repeaters--students playing catch up--apathy--and it's a core class with a test at the end of the semester that determines school accreditation and probably my job. That, mixed with my terrible new P. I go home every day sick to my stomach because of them--it's actually affecting my class after them--who are a wonderful group--they end up getting very little instruction some days because i just have to keep myself together to get through the end of the day. I go home crying at least twice a week. I haven't had a class like this in awhile.

14. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Dec 9, 2015

In 8 years, no I haven't had any classes that I've hated.
    Considering that I've taught about 800+ students so far - two students really stick out. I had one student that I hated as much as I hate to say that but our personalities just completely clashed and he just seemed to love to push my buttons - after he graduated, he did come back and thanked me for everything that I did for him (so I forgave him :) ).

I have one student right now that I'm on the verge of hating - I can't stand his mother (bi-polar crazy $*S@!) and she is probably telling him stuff so that he hates me. He literally yelled at me today because I was trying to help him do better on his test (because he struggles/doesn't care), but I wasn't doing that with the other students. I was so hurt by his action that I told him he can just turn in his test and I wouldn't bother to try to help if he didn't want me to. I wouldn't be surprised if my inbox gets a nasty email about how I was harassing her son. The sad part is that I have to teach him for quite awhile (not just this school year). I just can't... I really wish he wouldn't be given a contract next year.

And this is so NOT like me. I'm known as being a helper and will bend over backwards to help my students - especially the ones that are struggling, but I'm not perfect and I do try to make sure that every day is a new day for me and each of my students.

15. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Dec 9, 2015

Absolutely. Right now. I really like my homeroom but my second class I really dislike that class as a whole. It's honestly an awful mix of personalities in one room. I have 21 students and it's literally half and half. I have 11, not a few or 2-3 no 11 that give me attitude, smart alec comments, they all want to be top dog/kings and queens/ they all want to blurt at the same time, they're all just a mess.

My homeroom I have 3 buggers but I can handle those 3 and they're classmates at their table pods keep them in check when that one person is disrupting their learning. But 11 out of 11 is too much.

16. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 9, 2015

I so agree with this!

I'm self-contained. If I allowed myself to "hate" a class, I would be in for a remarkably miserable year!

czacza likes this.
  17. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Dec 10, 2015

I didn't hate the class meaning the kids -- I hated being forced to teach a crappy, canned curriculum, being watched over by the program "coaches" who corrected me in front of the class, being told I wasn't allowed to teach novels because it was too hard for the kids, getting "in trouble" for making copies of higher-interest text that they actually wanted to read instead of using the rejected books from SPED in my non-SPED class, having SPED students who had never been in a mainstream English classroom suddenly dropped into my ELD class, basically equating ELL = SPED, and then being non-renewed for this program basically because I spoke up about everything that was wrong with it.

Rant over. Good riddance! I do wish I could go back in time and re-teach those same kids with my own curriculum and approach. I know it could have been totally different if I hadn't been teaching with my hands tied.

18. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 11, 2015

I've never hated a class but I've had three students through the (23) years that I would have donating packing materials if they said they were moving!

19. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 24, 2015

I had 1 year where I dreaded going in every day. I would cry while I brushed my teeth in the morning. It was a tough mix of undiagnosed needs - autism, ADHD, Tourettes and learning disabilities - for at least 5 of my students and a lot of super impulsive behavior from everyone else. I had little support during the day and the parents were in total denial.

Every morning I resolved to find ways to connect, ways to plan engaging activities, to use what I knew about classroom management and student engagement. And every morning by 9:05 I wanted to crawl under my desk and quit.

We read a lot of books that year - they would always sit for a story. And we did A LOT of art because that was the only way I could keep everyone in one place at the same time. I became super creative at integrating art into all of my curricular outcomes. I also kept a huge bin of empty boxes and masking tape on hand because that was another way I could keep everyone engaged, learning and busy. I simply dumped the boxes on the carpet, gave them rolls of masking tape and let them loose. They produced some amazing creations and we covered a lot of math outcomes that way.

I learned how to keep detailed documentation, I learned how to stand up for myself with admin and student services and I learned how to clearly communicate with parents.

It took me a full month to recover that summer. I pretty much slept all of July. But now every class is a breeze. NOTHING will every compare to that year and I'm a better, more confident teacher for making it to the other side.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  20. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 25, 2015

Hate a strong word, I never hated a class, but I think most of us had or heard from other teachers of "that one class". For me it usually involves a lot of freshmen, the younger they are the harder it is for me. I often have to rethink some strategies and do things differently with them.
    6th period is often challenging, not only for me but for most teachers at my school, because it's after lunch and it's the last period for the day. The kids are tired, and either ate too much and their stomach hurts, or they played too much basketball after they ate and their stomach hurts or they played too "hard" and now they're all hyper and can't settle down or they just have had enough for the day.
    This year I still had "that one class", but it changed throughout the semester. First it was my 4th period, just too much talking, hard to settle down after break, and then one day they became very good. The class size also grew, they became my biggest class and continued to be great. I had 1st period for a while, off and on, then they got it together and then lately it was 6th period, but they also became good for the last 2 weeks, although they were a real challenge, and they were the least favorite class for most of the semester. Too many immature kids in there.

But I never hate a class, because I learn the most from them, and every time I have a more difficult class I handle it better and better. When I first started, my 5th period class was the worst, for the entire year and I struggled with them. I couldn't get them under control, even when they were ok, it too a lot of work from me. I did learn a lot though and now no matter what I don't struggle with a class for a long period time.

21. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Dec 29, 2015

YES my Block 3. They come in loud, some are always late. they say bad stuff in Spanish when I reprimand them, they go on other sites when they are on the computers. They speak Spanish with each other when I say that's not allowed , Some take like 10 minutes to get their work out.

22. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 29, 2015

I have some classes and some kids that are a challenge from year to year. I've also had some years where I have been given a curriculum that I know will be problematic and am told simply to make it work. Sometimes, only the individual relationships I have with students that pull me through weeks, months, and even years. They make it worthwhile.

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2015

In my graduate program a professor I deeply admire lived by and often quoted 'the students that are toughest to love are the ones who need you to love and connect with them'. Yes, it's hard sometimes. But if you are doing all you can to foster abclimate of respect, understanding and connectedness and have excellent beh mgt skills, all you can do sometimes is keep on keeping on. Don't let them get to you. It's not about you.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  24. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 30, 2015

On a side note, relating to Czacza's post above I had a student last semester who was really sweet, but became very disruptive in the last 2 months. He would often miss school, and when he was there he was often the clown. Always smiling, always laughing, being funny, half of the time doing his work, when he wanted to, he could really focus, but in general he didn't seem to care, so it was a little difficult to control him.
    He wasn't my biggest problem but it was frustrating because he changed so much.
    Well, we talked a few times during our down time in class, and I found out that one day he was acting very happy and cracking jokes, etc because he was very upset. His cousin got arrested, I actually saw what happened on FB because our local police dept. posts arrests with faces.
    We talked about that, he shared his frustration about his cousin, etc. We also talked about German shepherds because I was getting my second one, showed him pictures, etc. He became more responsive to me and wasn't trying to clown around as much as before.

On the last day of school I was handing out little handwritten cards to each student that was written by our principle, and it said one thing she appreciated about them.
    I also had blank ones available for students to use. This year very few students used any (last year many of them wrote them for people at home, for each other at school and for us, teachers).

He wrote me a card and it said that he appreciates that I pay attention to him. I was very surprised. I didn't think I gave him that much attention, we talked only a few times, but it was probably more than any other person had done. And that made me realize that we never know how we build bonds with students, sometimes it's the very small things.
    Now, we can't do this with a whole class, but like it was said above, if you just pick out the ones that might need it the most (usually the most disruptive ones) you can make a big difference.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    czacza likes this.
  25. carolinafan

carolinafan Rookie

Jan 7, 2016

I've got a class this year that has a bad mix of personalities in it. Half the class is ELL, and there are at least 2 pairs of kids that seem to have a problem with each other. They're also all at the age where they enjoy having put down battles with each other, and you just never know when someone is going to say the wrong thing that will set somebody off. It's been a struggle with that class all year long, and I feel awful about the job I'm doing with them.

26. amyjowin

amyjowin Rookie

Jan 7, 2016

The last year I taught elementary was my worst class. I had no parent support, no admin support, and the students were revolving door types so as soon as I made head way they would move or a worse child would take their place. It was a charter school that kept our class size low but the students were those who had been removed from public schools. The personalities of the students made them difficult to like. The conditions, and students made it horrible. I gained weight, lost sleep and was a mess. Thank God I quit. I only wish I had left earlier.

27. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 7, 2016

In this situation, you need at least parental support, or admin support, a good admin backing you up is actually worth more than parents. Without any of these, it can be a nightmare.
    I teach at a school like this. Our parental support is so-so. Some parents are supportive, but most of them don't care, or don't know what to do. Some of them will ask: Can't you just to talk to his probation officer? or Can yo arrest him?
    They don't know how to parent and that's why their kids are where they are. Sometimes it's the language barrier.
    But our admin is the best you can imagine, which makes this job lovable :)

28. Historyct

Historyct Rookie

Jan 8, 2016

I have two terrible classes back to back. Hate is a strong word to use, but I could say that I hate one of those two classes.

Of course, there are a handful of good students in each class, but, in a sense, that also makes it worse. I feel like I'm neglecting the students who want to learn because I'm too busy telling other students to put their phones away, to start working, and to get in their assigned seats. I observed this in another teacher's room also. An honors student was mixed with very poorly behaved students in one of her classes. She didn't say a word all class. She completed the worksheet and then opened a book. In the class I have her in, which is a good class, we have such an open dialogue and a good time learning from each other.

I feel like I go into my most disliked class every day to babysit more so than I do to teach. Then, I strongly dislike when admin and others bring up the grades of those students. I'm one to look on the bright side of things, but those students are so careless and disrespectful. If they are failing all of their academic classes, I think it's the student, not the teacher.

29. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 8, 2016

Yes. Maybe not ALL the students individually but as a whole it was just not the right combination. Staff got injured on a daily basis. It just was horrible for a few months. When they called me in to tell me they were moving 2 of the worst students out of my class I could have HUGGED the administration.

30. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 11, 2016

I had a class last year that I really didn't like. I did however, really like the individual students in the class... That was how I was able to get through it... I kept reminding myself that the kids weren't bad kids... they were just awful together.

31. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 19, 2016

Yes. Until this year, I have always had at least one period/class I hated.

This year, I just hate my job entirely.

32. Nab

Nab Companion

Jan 19, 2016

I was talking to my mentor teacher about this today. I taught 3 of her 6 classes today - all the English II classes. I've been observing for a week, and it was highly clear that her 4th hour are terrible. There are about six or seven boys in the class that just have no self control, no sense of responsibility, are immature, sarcastic, rude, etc. They ruin it a lot for the other 25 children in class. I can honestly saw my mentor teacher hates that class. I'm already over it. One of the boys called me the b-word under his breath! In 1st and 6th hour, I had several girls roll their eyes and make faces at me. These children are between 15-17 years old, and have horrible attitudes.