Have you ever had a principal...?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TarHeelHannah, Jul 14, 2012.

1. TarHeelHannah

TarHeelHannah Rookie

Jul 14, 2012

Critique you immediately after the interview?? Here's the scenario:

I live in a very very small area. I have been called for and completed 3 interviews, and will do my fourth on Monday. Believe it or not, that's a lot for around here. I have been told by two that I got "2nd place" (yes, they literally said that. Talk about a knife to the heart) and I interviewed really well. One P even went as far as asking me to please keep an eye out for further job openings because they would really like to work with me. Bittersweet, but at least I know that I come across well in interviews. So my 3rd interview is the one that I came away from feeling dumbfounded. First off, I felt the questions the entire interview were very similar and therefore I was giving similar answers. They did not even ask about my teaching philosophy or for me to even tell them about myself! The P is new so maybe this is the reason? Ok, to the real point-- I felt like the interview went decent-- definitely not as well as the first two, but not bad. At the end of the interview, he stood up and shook my hand. As we were standing there, and in front of the panel, he began to critique my interview! He said that they would be making decisions by the end of the day but then began to tell me that I should have said this and that differently and a few other things. I'm pretty sure I stood there with my mouth open in disbelief. He also told me I had "a good head on my shoulders" (making me feel like a child) and I should keep interviewing.

Is this just weird to me? It made me really uncomfortable and discouraged. Now, I am facing this interview Monday somewhat bumfuzzled from being told my responses were incorrect!

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2012

I would have actually liked to get feedback on my interviews...although I can see how it would be awkward right there in front of everyone. I think a lot of people want to know but receive a generic "it wasn't the right fit" rather than getting something specific from a P. Even if the presentation of his advice wasn't the best, I'd take it to heart and use it to improve your next interview!

4. Galois

Galois Companion

Jul 14, 2012

Exactly. This is how I got hired. My previous interview and a critique I got helped me to improve on my succeeding interviews.

You have not failed. You've gained experience.

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2012

I find it very unprofessional, personally. I would be heartbroken to hear a P say that about me immediately following an interview.

It's one thing to debrief with the panel after you are out of the room and to give you a reason if you don't get the job, but its another to say it right there immediately following the interview. Having sat on interview committees, I've always found it best to (and was told to) remain neutral until debriefing. :hugs:

Doesn't sound like someone I'd want to work for, myself.

6. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 14, 2012

I agree that it was unprofessional in front of the panel. A common practice for me is to email or call any principal after an interview to solicit constructive feedback if I wasn't offered the job. I've gotten a lot of great tips from doing this, but I don't think it should have been handled as the P did in your case.

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 14, 2012

I was critiqued DURING the interview. It was my first one ever for a teaching position. After each of my answers the principal would tell me what he actually was looking for. I chalked it up to a learning experience, polished my interview skills and aced the next few, landing 2 job offers.

8. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Jul 15, 2012

My husband is currently job hunting and generally at the end of interview he will be asked, "Any questions?". His reply is, "Well, how do you think I did?". He wants feedback on his interview technique. I would use it a learning experience. If you are doing something that is not getting you the job (two second places) then perhaps the feedback you get can be constructive to you getting first place next time.

Also, role play interview scenarios - I think I could answer for my husband with the 'tell me about yourself' question!

9. TarHeelHannah

TarHeelHannah Rookie

Jul 15, 2012

Thanks everyone-- I suppose I thought it was so weird to be critiqued right there because the panel had not debriefed. Suppose the others on the panel really liked what I said and the P just did not? Thanks for the input. Knowing it wasn't just me makes me feel better. Hoping to knock my interview tomorrow out of the park!

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2012

Good point about the panel not even discussing you yet.

11. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2012

It wasn't the most professional thing to do, but it's a good learning experience. While embarrassing at the time it's better that the generic replies later.

12. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 15, 2012

Ick, I'm so sorry you had to deal with that, I agree it's a bit unprofessional. Chalk it up to experience, take their comments to heart, and keep applying! Good luck!