Have you ever had a bad evaluation?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by DigitalDiva25, Oct 12, 2015.

1. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Oct 12, 2015

Has the administrator ever given you an "ineffective" rating for the school year?
    If so, did the principal speak to you about it? What was the reason why you were "ineffective"?

3. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Oct 12, 2015

I did have a bad evaluation once, and it was unfounded. The principal grossly misunderstood the situation he walked into and wasn't open to listening to alternatives. I ended up getting the union involved and asked for representation. With a third party, we were both able to be heard. He is a good guy but was blinded by what he thought happened. We were all able to move past it and he ended up writing me a glowing letter of recommendation.

I think the first step with situations like these is to step back. Try to look at it through the evaluator's eyes. What did they see? How could it be interpreted? What evidence do they have to back up their accusations? Look at the evaluation system- does it reflect best practices? Sometimes admins feel the need to give lower scores on their first evaluation so that they can show improvement. As the admin what they want to see and show them you're willing to adapt. If things are completely unfounded, get the union involved and communicate via a third party.

4. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Oct 12, 2015

May I ask, what was the situation your principal walked into?

Yes I agree with you that it's best to reflect if I ever get a bad evaluation.

5. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Oct 12, 2015

Also, another question how many evaluations does a teacher get before he/she will be fired?

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2015

This will depend on state and/or district policy. In Michigan, if you score ineffective in any category, you will be marked ineffective for the whole year.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2015

To answer your question, I taught for 7.5 years with good evaluations. I was new to my (former) district last year. My first evaluation which was 95% proficient and 5% partially proficient- my worst evaluation to date at that point, but it wasn't terrible. Between the two evaluations, a lot happened. I had a weapon brought into my classroom, multiple death threats, a wrist broken by a student pushing me into the wall/door, etc... Several students in this group had documented violent behavior going back all the way to kindergarten- throwing chairs at teachers, stabbing each other with pencils, etc... Anyway, I started vocalizing my concerns about my students and how the district was handling these issues (most got a warning and no other consequence- even when it was repeated). I turned in my resignation saying that I was leaving due to anxiety over the violence. My superintendent requested a 1:1 meeting with me- he had no idea this was happening. My second evaluation happened a week later. I was ripped to shreds in the classroom management section, which gave me an overall score of not-proficient. I know it was retaliation. I had documentation asking for help going back to the first week of school. My P never even responded to my requests. She ignored me. Yet, I was marked down for the exact things I requested help with. I have over 30 emails to her, sometimes with her admitting she was sorry she missed the meeting I requested. I also have a log with over 400 entries of violent/verbally abusive behavior that was kept as a requirement by the district. It has a block for the administrator's follow-up. You can see all the times nothing was done. The same things happened to the fourth and fifth grade teachers with this group (I had them in 6th in a K-6 school). They were tenured so they had more leverage to fight back. My union stated that evulations are subjective and they can't do anything about it, despite my documentation. Of course, I had already resigned so I knew I wasn't going back, so I didn't fight it much.

8. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Oct 12, 2015

oh my giraffe326, sorry you had to go through that. If I was in your situation, I would quit being a teacher and would just work in a private sector. One of the reasons why I teach is because the school that I am in have very good kids.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2015

My second year teaching I received a glowing evaluation from the assistant principal for my first evaluation. I was new to this district and this was the first time any administrator had been in my room. It was in Dec, right before Christmas break so it was a rough time but he gave me good marks. FF to the spring and my second evaluation. The principal did this one. She walked in 45 minutes late from the scheduled time so missed a good portion of the lesson. When she walked in, I was explaining the independent work that the students would be doing. So all she saw was them working independently, asking me questions occasionally. Well, I received non-proficient ratings on areas that background knowledge, setting up the lesson, etc because even though I did those things, she was not in the room for those. I even invited her back but she refused. I ended up resigning due to pregnancy and learned that she was forced to resign during the summer. That one bad evaluation did not follow me to my next position and I received glowing reviews from that principal all 3 years I was there.

10. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Oct 13, 2015

smalltowngal, I can't believe your principle would give you a bad evaluation for walking in and seeing your students do independent work. I mean they are still doing assignments and you are helping them out by answering questions. You are still doing your job. I've been working as a teacher for 4 years now and most of the time my principal walked in, students are doing independent work and I was just walking around my classroom in case they need help. And I always had an "effective" rating.

11. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Oct 13, 2015

"principal" , where is the edit button for the posts that we make? not feeling this new setup of the website :(

12. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Oct 13, 2015

I was purposefully vague ;)

Suffice it to say that anyone else walking in would not have drawn the same conclusions. In addition, had he been in a different frame of mind, I think the eval would have been fine. It was one of those freak things where neither of us was willing to give until a third party stepped in. I agreed to another evaluation and we just let the first one go. Forgive and forget. He is a really good person.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2015

I am actually not teaching this year. I taught for 6 years in a wonderful school, but moved back to my home state to be closer to family. It hasn't gone well here. Sometimes I wonder if I'm not ruined because my first six years were too good, LOL.
    I'm still undecided if/when I will go back. I'm just now starting to return to myself.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2015

I've never had a bad observation and am consistently rated highly effective in year end summatives.

15. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 13, 2015

I got one bad evaluation at my previous school. My team was very outspoken about changes that needed to happen at our school, especially things like violent behavior and safety for students and staff. My P made it well known that anyone who challenged her would be retaliated against. My first evaluation from her, done very early in the year before any of this happened, was glowing. My second evaluation, done in late winter, was horrible. Our evaluations were unannounced and she came into a writing lesson 25 minutes into our 50 minute writing period. This was two days before state testing, and I was teaching third, so it would be the first time they took a state test. We had been practicing answering writing prompts so they could get used to the format of the test. I had done a mini lesson with examples and non examples and created a rubric with the students, but when she came in they were just completing the prompt. All she saw was me conferencing with students. She gave me the lowest rating on the direct instruction category, which was about 1/4 of the entire evaluation, because she didn't see any direct instruction. She also gave me bad ratings in sections related to only math or only reading, even though she came in during a writing time. She stated that my students "couldn't even write a sentence" and said they were unprepared for the state test. The funny thing is, when results came back mine were the highest in the district, and 2 of my teammates were right behind me.

She literally did my teammate's evaluation during a math block when we were giving a district test that took the entire period. She marked her as ineffective in everything and referred to the test as a "TCAP (our state test) review packet" throughout the evaluation. The union tried to help, but since the teacher was probationary all they could do was allow her to write a rebuttal stating that the evaluation was given during a test. The P did not have to do another observation or change any of her comments. This principal was eventually fired mid-year and had her teaching and administrative licenses taken away. Unfortunately, this was during her third year at the school, after she'd already caused so much damage. I'm on my current school's interview committee and I always fight for us to look at all references and not just take the principal's word at face value. I don't think people understand what it's like until they've worked for someone like this.

16. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Oct 13, 2015

that's really good for you! Do the teachers there get a raise if they are rated highly effective??

17. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Oct 13, 2015

wow @ some of you guys getting a bad evaluation for something that shouldn't be rated as ineffective..you all had strict principals...

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2015

Mine wasn't strict but ineffective herself. It was a way of passing the blame and making herself look better.
    Honestly, most that give poor evaluations for retaliation are trying to control you. It isn't because they are strict, but quite the opposite. They don't have the control they desire and they are trying to obtain it through fear. No different from your typical bully- let me pick on someone else so no one can see through to my inadequacies.

19. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2015

Amen. I know I didn't. I read horror stories on here but actually experiencing it is so much worse. I continue to be amazed at the number of principals that are able to do this and get away with it.

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 13, 2015

Haven't had a subpar eval as a teacher or administor.

21. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Oct 14, 2015

It's funny, as an undergrad, I asked one of my professors what happens if an administrator gives a teacher an unfounded bad evaluation just because of personal feelings toward the person or was out to "get them." I'll never forget, that professor acted like that was the most absurd question he'd ever been asked in his life, "They're professionals. They would NEVER do that!" Either he was being intentionally naive, or he actual was.

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2015

Nothing additional outside of contracted increment.

23. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Oct 14, 2015

I also believe that college professors don't have a clue what goes on at the K-12 level. I had a hard time (especially at the graduate level since at the undergrad level I was naive) really taking my professors seriously when it came to some of their theories and strategies, because they've never taught at the high school or lower level and never really applied their knowledge and research to younger kids themselves.

I've never had an overall bad evaluation, although I've been given areas of improvement, especially when I was a newer teacher. I've never received a score of less than effective. I've been lucky because I've never worked anywhere that was corrupt or unfair.

24. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 14, 2015

This. Exactly.

25. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Oct 14, 2015

I had a bad evaluation last year. The same principal had given me good evaluations all year long, until he talked to my team members about me. Then I was put on an improvement plan, with no warning and no negative evaluations up until that point. It was all because my coworker didn't like me. She had been there longer than the principal and he did whatever she said. I've never had a bad evaluation before that. (And he gave me a good evaluation at the end of the year, without even observing me. He just wanted me out and knew I had accepted a new job.) Other teachers in the school (outside of my grade level) always complimented me on my classroom management and how great my class was.

26. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 15, 2015

I've never received a bad evaluation but now my school is giving % ratings up to 100%. If you have get less than 70% in any section then you are given assistance in these areas. They are specific in what you are lacking so you can improve.

27. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 15, 2015

I'm usually between the two top tiers for my evaluation from my supervisor. However, the first year that we instituted Standard Learning Objectives, those scores brought me down pretty badly. Last year, we also included a portion of my total evaluation that included STUDENT feedback, which helped me a lot more than some of my peers.

28. Mr.Me

Mr.Me Rookie

Oct 15, 2015

Whoa. So sorry to hear about this. :(

29. Mr.Me

Mr.Me Rookie

Oct 15, 2015

I was marked down on an evaluation because I went to hit the bathroom between classes and wasn't in the room at the very start of class. (about 30 seconds or less).
    Had nothing to do with teaching, but it was noted in my observation that I was not there.
    Had to give that one a big "wtf".

30. Mr.Me

Mr.Me Rookie

Oct 15, 2015

Yes. Evaluations are very subjective.
    We are going through our Self-Assessments and Goal process right now. Very interesting how each building principal is approaching it.

31. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 15, 2015

Most of my undergrad professors were also teachers in a K-12 setting. That helped because they could give us relevant information. One professor was also a principal so his information was a little bit more outdated because he had not been in the classroom for several years. Of course these were all night courses so they could teach both and most of them taught in the city the classes were held.

32. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 15, 2015

I hope I never experience this. :confused:

33. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2015

I hope nobody has to experience it....