Have you ever gotten a new student extremely late in the year?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 2, 2011

The latest I've ever gotten a new student was May 10th. I remember because it was this year. Today my colleague got a new student - how strange! Must be very extenuating circumstances to have to move your child so late in the year! :eek:hmy:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2011

I've never had a student come in so late in the year! Must have a very good reason though!

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2011

Last year I got a new student the last week of May (right after Memorial Day). I remember because we had a fieldtrip on the day that the student showed up and we had to get extra permission and call mom and everything.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 2, 2011

Several years ago, I got a new student the day before school was out. The parents wanted their kids to meet some local kids to play with during the summer.

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2011

I had one in mid-April. It has been very tough. Many times my school does not accept students so late because it's just so difficult, especially since we are full English immersion. Most private (even public) offer bilingual programs, but even with that, these students are not used to having all academic subjects in English. My student is struggling, but he is now starting tutoring with another teacher, so I hope this helps. I have seen some improvement, but it hasn't been easy by any means.

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jun 2, 2011

The day of state testing. That's fun!

Our last day is this Saturday and a neighboring teacher got a new student today.

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 2, 2011

I got one on May 5. We got out of school on May 15 that year. It wad a good thing because he was a terror. He didn't come back the next fall, which is sad.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2011

I remember getting one late in the year I think like 4-5wks left of school!!!

10. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2011

I kind of got a new one the first day of the last six weeks. He had been in my class at the beginning of the year but then moved. He was so severe ADHD, I had many long days and meetings with Mom before he left. When he walked back into my class I was happy, but I made sure he was still on his meds.

11. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 4, 2011

The latest I have gotten a student is May 15th. Our school year ends the first week in June.

12. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2011

Is this unusual in the US? We get kids moving schools all the time. Around 50% are what we call 'managed moves' where the child's parents have been basically told that if they do not move school voluntarily then the child will be permanently excluded. This is supposed to give the child a new start in a fresh environment. Most of these moves do not work and the child ends up expelled from their new school as well. The other half are usually kids who have had to move house either because of a parent relocating through their job or perhaps the child has moved residence from one parent to the other in a new town.

We have 150 kids in each year of the school and we must have acquired around 6 this year in year 10 (9th Grade) plus at least aniother 3 or 4 in years 8 and 9. We have also had about 5 or 6 students leave the school for one reason or another.

13. NUMB3RSFAN

NUMB3RSFAN Rookie

Jun 6, 2011

I got a new one this year with 10 days left in the school year. Her family moved from the neighboring county and there was nobody who could drive her to her old school for the last 10 days.

14. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jun 6, 2011

I got one this year with 3 weeks left. The mom was going to keep her kids at the old school but they were going to charge her for living out of the district so she said "screw this" (her words) and brought them to our school.
    The really sad situation about this one is that this child's parents were raised by their grandparents and now they are living with said grandparents again. So this couple raised their own kids, their grandkids and now their great grandkids.