Have you ever felt intimidated by a student?

Discussion in 'High School' started by jennyjenjen, Aug 29, 2010.

1. jennyjenjen

jennyjenjen Rookie

Aug 29, 2010

When I started teaching, I was at a school for about a month before getting transferred to my current location due to low enrollment. At the first school, I had a rough bunch of kids that had continuous subs for about 3 months. There was a particular girl that tried to make my life miserable. She was always rude, disrespectful, and tried to get under my skin. Fast forward a year and a half, that girl has moved and is once again in my class. Luckily, she is in the class with the group of kids I have had since they were freshmen (I'm very close to this group of students).

I consider myself very mild mannered and most of my students adore me. However, I feel my blood start to boil at the sight of this girl. I snapped at her the other day and my aide later told me that she heard her say that she was going to make my life miserable just like she did at the other school. I want to be proactive with this student. I never made any mention that I remembered her and I treated her like all of the other new students.

Does anyone have any tips to deal with this student? I have no problem calling home or writing her up but I do try to use those things sparingly. Please help. I feel like I'm giving this girl too much power over me.

3. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2010

This happened the other day and you are still waiting to decide what to do? Take care of it first thing Monday by reporting it to whoever takes care of discipline at your school. Get your aide to come with you to the principal and YOU file a complaint against her for inappropriate behavior. Don't let her start the ball rolling against you...please! Never let matters like this wait a day. Who knows what web she's spinning at home since you didn't nail her on it the same day. She probably thinks she has the upper hand but the thing is, between students and teachers, there is no upper hand. You are the teacher. Do what you need to to protect yourself. She needs consequences for her comment.

4. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Aug 29, 2010

You mentioned being proactive.

Snapping at a student is a reactive strategy. 10 out of 10 students who were snapped at in front of their peers will "make their teachers miserable" the next day. You can set your clock to it.

Have a one-on-one with this student. You'll be amazed how the conversation changes when it is just you and her in your classroom by yourself.

Apologize and ask how you can help her help you. I promise you the conversation will head in the right direction.

5. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 29, 2010

Document, document , document!

6. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Aug 29, 2010

My mentor teacher would always say that you are paid to win :)

7. MrF

MrF Rookie

Sep 4, 2010

I think this is excellent advice. The girl probably gets a lot of negative attention (especially at home). If you can be a positive person in her life she will probably be less hostile. Maybe this girl hasn't ever had anybody encourage her positively.

You may not be able to control this girl's sadistic desires, but you can control to whom you give attention and how that attention is given out. Don't play her catty games.

She may just be a spoiled brat and in that case you should definitely follow everybody's advice and C.Y.A. but the more professionally you comport yourself, the less ammunition the girl and her family will have against you.