Have you ever donated plasma?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Apr 13, 2009

Back home I used to donate blood pretty regularly, but I admit since I moved to NC I've stopped (no blood bank nearby and all the drives are during the school day.)

I stumbled on a Craigslist ad for a plasma donation facility about 30 mins away that actually pays $30 every time you donate.

I want to be clear, I'm NOT doing it for the cash (remember, I'm driving 30 mins) but talk about a win-win situation! Right now I'm fighting an infection but when I am better I will go check it out.

3. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Apr 13, 2009

Never have, but there is a facility in a neighboring town that (I heard) pays over $75!?? That place always has a line of people waiting to get inside.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 13, 2009

My dh has wanted to do this, but we can't find a facility that will do it within a reasonable commute.

5. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Apr 13, 2009

My mother had a blood transfusion in September ever since I wanted to give blood. But due to anemia I am unable, but if I could I would

6. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Apr 14, 2009

I used to get transfusions of a blood product made from plasma. If I remember correctly, each time I had it it would take the equivalent of 8 people's plasma "donations". For awhile I had it every other week or so.
    I am so indebted to people who give plasma. I know it takes a long time and it is often inconvenient. I am thrilled that the people get some pay....I was warned that there might be shortages and then I would not get the treatment as often as recommended. Luckily, that never happened.

7. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Apr 14, 2009

My son who is 16 has been wanting to donate blood for a long time. They have blood drives at school all the time. The coach that sets it up lost a daughter to luekimia a few years ago so he sets up this blood drive in her honor several times a year. Anyway my son has been upset for the last few times because he wanted too. Now they have changed the rules and if you have parents permission a minor can donate blood. Today was the day, my son began his blood donation career. He is so proud of himself. I am too since I am too chicken of the needle to donate myself.

8. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Apr 14, 2009

I'm not able to donate plasma because my platelets aren't high enough. But I donate whole blood every 8 weeks!