Have you ever cried in class?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sarypotter, Mar 20, 2009.

1. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Mar 24, 2009

I usually cry at the drop of a dime, so I was shocked when I didn't cry earlier this year. I walked into work one morning and received the news that one of my friends, and co-workers, had died in an accident along with 2 others the night before. I felt like I was punched in the stomach, but somehow managed to deliver the news to several teachers' classes of students, who were too overwhelmed to do so themselves. Then, I had to explain to my ESL students, who could barely speak English(it was only two weeks in the year) what had happened. I had to find the words "killed" and "accident" in their respective dictionaries, and point to a picture of the teacher. I wanted to throw up, but I still didn't cry. At the end of the day, I got into my car, drove home, hugged my fiance and burst into tears.

2. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 24, 2009

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Mar 25, 2009

I have cried for all of these reasons.... and more! I'm only a student teacher, but already I have cried in "my" classroom. I often cry because my students are just so precious; rarely from frustration. When I finally have my own students and classroom, I'm sure I will be even more emotional because I will be even more attached to my students!

4. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Mar 25, 2009

Twice this past year (my first year) I cried in front of the class:

Once I came in on a Monday to find that my whole room had been rearranged and things scattered about. No one had bothered to call and tell me or anything. I would have come in and helped rearrange if they thought things were not good the way they were. This was more of a mad frustrated cry.

The day I resigned, I was called to my supervisor's office once again. I was anticipating getting yet another lecture on what I was doing wrong. It shocked me when she quietly asked, "You're not happy here are you? Are you thinking about resigning?" I had thought I was keeping my feelings hidden, but I guess it showed, and all the stress and stuff, I just broke down. I was in there over an hour, then I had to go out and get through lunch and naptime while running off to the bathroom every five minutes to break down again. I still loved my students, and every time I thought about leaving them, it broke me up. Not a good day.

Several times at home I cried over how frustrated and miserable I was. And I worked with four-year-olds, so I'm sure I saw every one cry at least once. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who cries.

5. 4inteacher

4inteacher Rookie

Mar 27, 2009

I cried this week actually. Well, my eyes began to fill up with water and I walked out of the room and cried in the hallway. I just couldn't take it. It was the day before my visa appointment with the government. I was pretty sure I wasn't going to get it so I was really stressed out. My husband and I have always wanted to live here and our current visa expires in April. After being very frustrated with my kids, I felt the need to tell them why I was so touchy. When I told them I might have to leave the country in April, a few kids said, "yes!" very excitedly. It was the last straw for me as I've been working so hard for these kids since we moved here.

On a lighter note, I think my kids thought it over. When I returned from my visa appointment the next day with good news, I got hugs all around and they excitedly told me how happy they were that I was able to stay :) It seemed some of them were just trying to be "cool" before. :p

6. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2009

4inteacher, I am happy that all things worked out for you

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Mar 27, 2009

I haven't cried while being a teacher, but I did cry twice when I was a waitress, due to overwhelming stress and incredibly rude people. I felt really stupid.

8. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Mar 27, 2009

I cried today.
    I broke a nail.
    More specifically, the entire thing was ripped off by a wayward tetherball. I cried. It hurts.

9. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2009

OUCH:sorry: Hope you're better soon

10. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Mar 27, 2009

I cried the day that I found out a student of mine had been sexually abused in the past. It was when she was younger, but she is a student that I just dearly love. The students were at specials, but when I picked them up and saw her, I just burst into tears in the hallway. A para took the kids back to my room, while I got myself together. The para hung out with me a bit in the room, just to help lighten things. It makes me cry to think of it now.

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 28, 2009

I have cried a few times in class. I have lost 3 students and each of those times I cried. ne I found out about her passing away while I was at school. She was in my very first class that I taught (4th grade). She was one that I had kept up with through the years. Everything was finally going great in her life. She had just gotten married (18) and was pregnant. Not the best timing, but the boy she married was great and really seemed to love her. She got hit by a log truck and I was at school when it happened. I cried on 9/11 when we found out what happened. I've teared up a few times, too. I really don't mind crying in front of the kids for things like that. They need to know that we are people and have feelings, too.

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Mar 28, 2009

Yes. A few times.

Two times were when a former student passed away and when a former student's dad passed away. Student-related- when two students had a horrific argument/fight one year and twice (two different years) when the class was overall being extremely rude. That is all I recall. I feel the last two were uncalled for in a way- I didn't like the fact I got emotional in front of the students for those reasons.