Have you ever cried in class?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sarypotter, Mar 20, 2009.

1. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Mar 20, 2009

I just want to know I'm not the only one. I broke down crying in class yesterday, not for any big reason but because one tiny reason proved to be one tiny reason too many. I'm in the thick of IEP season and I have some difficult members of the IEP team to work with; my kids are passing a stomach virus between them (so -- three days in a row, I've had to deal with kids projectile vomiting -- twice at LUNCH -- so -- nobody's been eating very much, to say the least!); one of my assistants seem to be completely burnt out and I can hardly inspire him to do anything, so I feel like I'm doing all the bus trips and all the diaper changes, which is not true, but I am doing the majority of them; my car broke down and has been sitting at a garage for a week while I try to drum up the money to get it out of that garage and send it to a cheaper one; and we have to move out of our apartment by the end of the month because we've been evicted.

Yesterday, I got a phone call that the garage is going to charge a $25-per-night storage fee. This, all alone by itself, is not that big of a deal. But yesterday, it was one thing too many. I started crying, not in front of the kids, but on the phone in the office. I ended up asking one of my assistants to take the student I was supposed to be working with, while I got myself calmed down and mentally in a place where I could be effective working with him.

Have you ever cried at work? I'm pretty embarrassed. It's rare that I cry and even more rare that I ask someone to take one of my students because I'm not mentally able to work with them.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 20, 2009

AT work?? This year more times than I can count, mostly in the office of our AP as I filled him in on the latest medical issue. I'm a cryer; it's how I deal with stress. And I cried over the phone a number of times last summer when I was telling my principal about how things were going... heck, I cried a good part of last summer, regardless of who I was speaking to.

In class? Yes.
    -The day many years ago that they announced that a colleague had lost her fight against brain cancer.
    -And the days following the death of Tim, one of our students who threw his body between his girlfriend and the oncoming tree on a slippery road one night. (She survived.)
    - And the days after we (different school) lost 2 students as their van tried to beat a train at a railroad crosssing. Six students died and 1 survived. In fact, I think of them every St. Patrick's day, since that was the day of the 2 funerals.

4. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Mar 20, 2009

There are things that happen that we can't happen to cry about.

When you get a call that your six-month old step-granddaughter has died, you cry

In my first class, there was an incident that happened with a COC supervisor that frustrated me and I cried. The P was very nice about it and told me to take thirty minutes for myself and she taught my class at that time.

I think you had enough on you to make you cry

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 20, 2009

In front of my class:
    - when one of our teachers died suddenly over a weekend
    - when reading a tear-jerker of a book about a child during the Holocaust
    - when my dad was in hospital the week before he died and my "tough" grade 8 boys presented me with Get Well cards for him
    - during the PowerPoint we show during our Remembrance Day assembly
    - during the speech of one of our Grade 8 girls on the topic of child abuse

Behind closed doors more often than I can count:
    - when I found out that my dad would never come out of the hospital
    - when some of our students became mixed up with gangs and drugs
    - when I just "can't take" the attitude of some of our staff towards some of our challenging students

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 20, 2009

Yes I have, not really hard but I have. I was overwelmed after an observation once, my husband's health from October through the first of March, the sweet notes parents send in to be read to their child when he is star of the week, health of my student, health of my co worker... have all made me shed some tears.

7. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Mar 20, 2009

Three times:

1) When my Grandma died and a student told me I was SELFISH for going to the funeral instead of giving them an exam.
    2) When I found out my Grandpa died.
    3) When a student was fooling around and broke my coffee mug.

I realize that the last one sounds really silly, but the mug had been given to me by one of my coaches who later passed away to recognize the fact that he had been my coach for over 10 years and that I had just finished high school. It had a lot of sentimental value to me.

8. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Mar 20, 2009

Once this year after I stayed up throughout the night with DH. He put his hand through glass and I had to call the ambulance. He was bleeding everywhere and it was a nightmare.

I went into work because I just don't know how not to and I had a meeting with my head of fine arts and cried from one simple constructive criticism comment she gave.

Actually, just this past week (afterschool with only one student in the room), when I found out my cat hadn't moved all day and was very ill.

I think once last year too to a colleague when I was dealing with my fathers affair and the effect it was having on me to take care of my poor mother at the time.

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 20, 2009

I cried a few times as well... Okay... More than a few times.

My first year teaching I cried a lot. My class was awful and fought and threw pencils, etc. I cried every day.

Now, since then I have cried less but I have still cried.

I cried several times regarding a teacher who passed away (at her school memorial, and when we put a memorial bench out for her and had speeches, etc.) I cried a few other times when talking to the kids about her.

I cried with two kids in an office last year, so it wasn't in front of the whole class. I had both these boys for 2 years and worked my BUTT off with them. They both just were incredibly frustrating to teach. When I gave my end of year writing assessment they just sat there and wrote nothing!! I was so pi$$ed off. I told them they should have just tried to write something... that one still gets to me. The irony? This year, one of the boys got an almost perfect score in reading, writing and math on his assessments. WTF? He was just hiding it from me for those two years????? (He is genius smart, and criminal lazy.)

I think that same kid made me cry a few other times but I reserved it for the staff lounge. :dizzy:

10. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 20, 2009

It was my... I think... second or third clinical experience visit to a fifth grade. My cooperating teacher was this guy (WONDERFUL teacher - I learned SO much from him) who wanted to continue to present himself to his students as this...not tough, but takes-no-guff sort-of guy. He was of the "old school" where you don't smile before Thanksgiving.

So he sets down to read aloud this book from the "Making Meaning" series that the kids are suppose to discuss (the lesson was about making inferences. And in a style VERY unlike him, he hadn't prepared himself for the lesson-but was disgusing that he was winging it). The story was about this grandmother who, throughout her granddaughter's life, keeps saying how precious this one item is in her house. At the end of the story, the grandmother has died and the item was left to the granddaughter. As the story ends you find that it has been written from the grown granddaughter's perspective and she goes on to say how much she treasures it and the memories it held.

So as he is reading, every once in a while, you hear his voice crack. I thought it was in my imagination at first, but then I noticed it again.. and again. And soon he's reading and wiping his eyes. He says-under his breath (then in a bit as an aside to me) "I don't know what's going on here."

The KIDS were riveted. Not in a making-fun way, but being a VERY SENSITIVE class (which this "tough" teacher wanted to BREAK them of.."The boys are too much of Mama's boys. They are almost jr high - that's gotta end this year. They have to toughen up. And the girls? They need that baby-edge taken off of 'em.") was astonished at his reaction. You could tell they wanted to go up and give him a hug. He happened to be using the think-pair-share strategy at the time, and finally this very quiet ELL boy says, "Mr. L.? What my partner and I want to know is... what are YOU thinking about this story?"

You could tell that he was about to break down. He told them that his grandmother passed away over the summer break, how much she loved his young daughter...and how much the family missed her. The entire class had misty eyes.

After that, the kids had to go to a specials class and I offered to walk them down the hall myself. When I came back.. I could tell that he was finishing having that big cry that was welling up in him. He looked at me, shook the book, and said, "Don't you think that they should put WARNINGS on these books! I mean... that was a pretty rotten trick to play on a teacher. Well..... NO MORE. That's the first and LAST time I will EVER read that book!"

At lunch time he gave the book away to another teacher. He told them, in a gruff voice, "It didn't 'work' with my kids...if ya want it, take it!"

I had to smile.

11. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Mar 20, 2009

McKenna, you're such a great story teller... have you ever thought of writing a book???

Anyway, I've never cried in class but I've cried over my job SEVERAL times at home to my fiance. And ironically (or not) it's all been over the same student who was beaten by his dad last year... I cried last year when I heard it happened and I cried this year when I realized that this little boy has no love or kindness left in his heart.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 20, 2009

I've had a few cries.

1) My first year teaching was in kindergarten. I had a dad tell me that I shouldn't be a teacher, and that he didn't understand why they allowed first year teachers to teacher kindergarten. A co-worker was walking down the aisle and saw the exchange. She came up to ask if I was okay, and I broke down (thankfully after the dad left) but with students in the classroom. She told me to go to the office to cool down and she'd teach my class until I got back. Thankfully I had a great admin.

2) I was teaching 2nd grade, and I was pregnant. I was meeting with my principal for a post-observation meeting. She wasn't very nice about it even though there were only a couple of things that she wanted me to improve on. I lost it as I was walking back to my room, luckily the students were at specials so I had time to get myself together.

13. HMM

HMM Cohort

Mar 20, 2009

Nope, but I've seen plenty of students cry.

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 20, 2009

I cried when our class hamster passed away. That was a really tough day, silly as it sounds.

I always lost it at our fifth grade graduations. I could hardly get through the names as I passed out the certificates-I was sobbing.

I cried my entire year last year-very tough, urban middle school. The principal came in once to talk about the situation, and I yelled at him for about 10 straight minutes, sobbing the entire time. That was one of the proudest moments of my life. I don't know many people who would condone yelling at their principal, but this man hired 6 brand new teachers from out of state to basically run his falling apart and ill-equipted middle school that housed expelled students from other schools, but presented the job over the phone as starting a state-of-the-art modern middle school in glorious San Fran. I told him what I really thought of all his lies and promises and how despicable he was. H actually just sat there, speechless, and left without word. I resigned the next day, and I found out the other day that the teachers who stuck around considered me a hero for the rest of the year. But yeah, I was crying pretty hard the whole time.

15. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Mar 20, 2009

Yay Jem! They treated you rotten :p

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 20, 2009

Hahah-thanks.

And SaryPotter-glad to see you back on the boards! I didn't realize how much I missed you until I saw your post!!

17. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Mar 20, 2009

I lose it every year during our promotion ceremonies...both my own class' (Pre-K) and while watching the 5th graders' ceremony and remembering the PreKer's that they used to be. I cry at almost every student musical performance...children singing just gets to me. I have cried after being "corrected" by a much older, more experienced teacher, I've cried after being scolded by a parent, and after getting notes from parents that are especially sweet (or especially annoying). I've also cried when receiving personal bad news at school (like when my mom was diagnosed with brain cancer and when my youngest child was hospitalized).

I guess I'm just a crier.

I also cry during sad readalouds, like parts of Charlotte's Web and Little House on the Prairie.

Kim

18. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Mar 20, 2009

Yep, many times. I am a firm believer that the kids need to know I am human.

19. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2009

Oh yes...many, many times.

In front of the class:
    - One day I just lost it...they were being awful and I had had enough. I got to take a break for a few minutes while my then AP straightened them out.
    - The day we told my 2nd graders that the reason a classmate wasn't in school was because her mom and stepdad had died, and that when she came back she was going to need all of her friends. Having lost my own mother at 4 years old, I was an emotional mess. Luckily I had the P and guidance counselor with me.
    - The day my nephew was born...my dad called me to tell me it was a boy and I cried, but they were happy tears.
    - The last day of school when my first class at the school graduated...they all cried and I did too

At school but not in front of my kids:
    - When a father came at me and accused me of being the worst teacher when his daughter said she wanted to kill herself
    - When my ex-P told me she might not rehire me if I didn't become the teacher she thought I'd be when she hired me
    - When my fiance's friend's wife died and I went to school instead of the funeral b/c I couldn't get off that day
    - When my old mentor passed away and I felt guilty for never telling her how I felt about her...I had pushed her away when I found out her cancer came back because I couldn't handle it (my mom died of cancer)

I'm sure there are even more times I've cried. I'm a crier too...I cried last night at the end of Grey's...I try to keep it together during school and get lost in the day no matter how I'm feeling, but sometimes life gets a hold of you and you break down. But the way I see it, I'm glad my kids see me as human. They know I have feelings too.

20. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Mar 20, 2009

There have been a few times I have cried at school.

In front of students:
    I received a call at the start of class from my doctor telling me I had stage I skin cancer. I was shocked and I guess pretty white. One of my students went running for the office because they knew something was wrong. My principal walked in the door, and I lost it.

A former student passed away, and I found out in class. I had been their when he was told he could not play basketball anymore because of his heart condition, and I was there when the family decided to let him play even though it meant certain death for him. He died at the end of a high school basketball game he had played in.

Many other times when my students are hurting about things in their lives outside of school, and they come to me to talk.

In school, but not in front of children...
    Having my post-evaluation conference after returning from maternity leave when the principal starts accusing me of being aligned with staff against her when I had not been at school for 3 months. She told me she would take me down, and I would never teach again. Thank goodness I had union representation in the meeting with me. My coworked had warned me that the principal had been swinging around accusations at people.

21. kilikena0310

kilikena0310 Companion

Mar 20, 2009

I haven't had my own classroom yet, but I know I will cry in front of my students. I'm an emotional person, and I cry when I'm sad, I cry when I'm angry, and I cry when I'm happy. Sometimes I swear tears seem to be the only way I can express my feelings! :)

My mother was a teacher, and she told me that she and her class had to read Old Yeller every year as part of a literature series. Before she would start the book, she would tell the class that she always cried when reading this, and it was OK if they cried as well. She told me that when she got to the end of the story, she usually could barely continue reading because she was so upset, and invariably, one student would offer to finish reading the story for her.

22. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 20, 2009

I would have had a cow over that first one. Wow!:eek:

23. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Mar 20, 2009

When I was working as an LTS my younger brother (he was 22 at the time) had a heart attack. My mom had called me from the hospital just as I was leaving for work. Needless to say, I was a wreck when I got to work. I cried on quite a few shoulders that morning. I'm pretty sure I cried in front of my class.

I've also been in the room when another teacher finished reading a really sad book to her kids... she cried at the end, and so did the LD teacher who happened to be in the room at the time.

24. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Mar 20, 2009

I almost started crying while reading a book to the kids -- it had an unexpectedly sad passage and I could feel my eyes tearing up so I read through it quickly. It didn't seem to affect the kids.

I am in the raging middle section of menopause, so anything emotional is REALLY emotional for me right now (which I hate, because I used to be the "Spock" of the group -- more logical than emotional).

We are all human. Tears reveal that. You'll be fine.

25. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Mar 20, 2009

How about yesterday when an assistant alleged that I "popped" a kid in the mouth and was suspended? How about today when not one, but 3 different news crews showed up on my door step? Wait, that wasn't at school.

26. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Mar 20, 2009

I stood in the back of my classroom and cried every time I showed my 8th graders the video "Memory of the Camps," which was a graphic documentary about the concentration camps. Even after seeing the same film every year for over twenty years, it still affected me this way.

I also cried each December when I read "What Child Is This" aloud to my 6th graders, as an introduction to our yearly "adopt a family for Christmas" project.

27. MathManTim

MathManTim Companion

Mar 20, 2009

I'm not prone to crying, so I don't anticipate that being a problem. Besides, as a male teacher, I more or less assume that if I cry in front of my students I'll get tagged by them as very weak. I would probably lose control of the class.

On the other hand, no one begrudges the head football coach a few tears of joy if the team wins the state championship.

MathManTim

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 20, 2009

EEKk, trinda...have you contacted legal help?

Crying in class? Once last year a few tears when I came to school after being in a car accident and a friend stopped by so I could take a breather and get a cup of tea....and sometimes a tear when reading about MLK in January and some sweet second grader says something so beautiful it would make you weep...sometimes on the last day of school- like last year when one of my moms in my room made me a class gift of a quilt. The kids knew how much I love my garden- the moms had each kid draw a picture of how they envisoned my garden, each also wrote a short piece about my garden...The pics were transeferred to quilt squares, and then also put in a scrapbook with their written pieces and photos. I cried....then spread the quilt on the floor and we all read on the quilt for reading workshop time. So yeah, I cry- mostly for the beauty of kids' words, the kindness of friends, the appreciation and caring of others.

29. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Mar 20, 2009

I almost cried when a student punched me in the stomach. I saw stars for a minute. Since Janruary I've been hit in the hand, hit by a chair, and punched in the stomach. I haven't cried.

I've learned that I need to not break up fights and allow the kids to beat each other up. I get zero support from the administration. This makes me want to cry.

Only 60 more days.

30. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Mar 20, 2009

I usually have tears of joy in my eyes at the end of the day....

No, forgive me. That's not nice.

I often get teary-eyed over sad endings in books, people saying mean things, any mention at all of 9/11, lack of sleep, and days when everything is overwhelming.

I guess it sounds pretty typical.

31. Geographynut

Geographynut Rookie

Mar 20, 2009

I had a student pass away this year in a horrible freak accident.
    I found out about an hour before I had to be at work. I cried all day, in front of all of the students, a few times the next day too, and the day of the funeral. Many of the students cried with me, they all understood.
    It's still hard to think about, and amazing to see how the students dealt with it - the ones you think are the biggest jerks suddenly become the most compassionate.
    I've never cried over anything else at school.

32. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2009

I don't cry too much anymore. My hubby says that it's very weird and that I am too much like a guy. It's true, I tend to hold it all in. I have cried in class in the past.

One time, I went into the bathroom of my kindergarten class during their recess time and bawled. It was my second year and I was teaching full day kinder and I was just stressed to the max.

I cried after I witnessed an old man get hit by a truck. I read in the newspaper later that he had died on the spot.

I cried after I had to put my beloved bird down last year. I kept it in in front of everyone, and cried in privacy.

I cried on the last day of my first year of teaching. I had grown super close to my kinder class. THey were ALL super sweet and wonderful and it was my first year. They all got around me and gave me a hug and one of my little girl, with tears running down her cheeks said that she will miss me. I just couldn't hold it in and just cried along with the rest of the class.

I cried when I reached out to my troubled student last year when I taught fifth. I really really hope he will remember our conversation...

I cried last year when my horrible, miserable P refused to tell me why he non-reelected me and had this nonchalant attitude.

33. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 20, 2009

I have cried as I read many of these posts.

34. taryn_liz

taryn_liz Rookie

Mar 20, 2009

I've had several times where I've cried this year, as it's my first year teaching. I hide my tears well...usually. The first time I cried was during naptime, after a very stressful day with a very stressful kid. He refused to do anything that day, and I wondered if I was doing any of my students any good. The second time I cried, I bawled. Again, during naptime, but because a parent had attempted to get me fired. She went to my bosses boss and told her I was unstable, depressed, and a drunk, and she had a picture to prove it (picture of me drinking rootbeer with a friend). And instead of the parent being scolded, I had to hear a lecture of how we need to be careful about what we post on Facebook and how I'm still young and learning these life lessons. I lost it that day, but then had to party as it was Halloween and the kids had their Harvest party that day.

35. 1stesl

1stesl Rookie

Mar 20, 2009

I have a few times over the years. Once when a co-worker passed away over the weekend....we had to tell our students. These past few weeks have been hard for me with family issues, and when I found out about them, I was on my conference time, cried, tried to pull it together, but still had tears in my eyes when I went to get my kiddos....they knew something was wrong, they were good the rest of the day! Even had a couple that drew my pictures....which yes, made my cry more.

36. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 20, 2009

-When I told my seniors that the newborn son of one of their favorite teachers passed away.

-Every year, when I read _Of Mice and Men_ ... the final scene.

-Watching our coach put in our 3rd string basketball players when it was obvious we weren't going to win the championship game ... the last game for the seniors .... the seniors on the court had the hugest smiles, the seniors on the bench were cheering them on through tears.

-Every year, my last day with seniors, they get so sentimental, they've been my students for 2 years.

37. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Mar 21, 2009

Is this book "Something to Remember Me By"? If so, I love this book. I used to read it to my girls all the time.

I also cried the first time I heard "Love You, Forever." I was at a parent workshop for my son who was in PreK at the time, he is now 22 years old and the teacher read it to us. My father was dying at the time. Just last year, we had Family Night and I read this to my parents and I barely made it through the reading. There were also parents who had never heard the story before with tears in their eyes.

I cry every year for our Award's Day ceremony when I give out my most improved student award to think of the growth that these children have made always get to be too much for me.

38. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 21, 2009

I hear you on "most improved"! I know exactly who will get that award this year (barring major flareups) and I'm sure I will be in tears when that one is presented!

39. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Mar 21, 2009

I came "thisclose" to crying in front of one of my classes this year but I managed to make it to the lounge and completely broke down.

It ended up being a good thing because it was at that moment I realized how many supportive teachers I have at my school :love:

P.S....
    Based on what you told us I'd cry too! You're going through a lot right now, keep your head up, the year is quickly coming to an end!

40. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2009

I think I'll be choking back a few tears at our grade 8 graduation this June. I taught many of these kids in grade 5, so have known them for at least 4 years and they are a very special group.

41. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 24, 2009

I cried once during my first year teaching. It was during Open House (yes, during Open House)! My district doesn't have Open House until the end of the school year (usually about three weeks before school ends--in late May).

Anyway, a parent came up to me and genuinely thanked me for positively influencing her son. This particular student began the school year as a very, very, very low reader (Intensive Group) and ended the year as a SOLID reader (Benchmark Group). He made tremendous growth in all areas! This parent went on to say that I was such a positive male role model for her son, and that he truly saw me as a father figure. I responded by saying that HE was the one who had influenced ME! He taught me to have more patience, made me realize that I truly loved my job, and most importantly, he loved me unconditionally (even when I got frustrated)! As I talked about him, I couldn't hold back the tears. I'm sure other parents must've seen, but hopefully they realized that they were tears of joy!

I am normally not an overly-emotional person, but this parent's words really made me feel valued, validated, and special. I will never forget that moment.

So that's my story! :thumb: