Have you ever cancelled a previous job because you got a better one? Is it ethical?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by thesub, Oct 8, 2012.

1. thesub

thesub Comrade

Oct 8, 2012

Yesterday night I got a call from a school secretary for a 1/2 day job and I said yes. Today Aesop calls me to sub in our district for a full day but I turned it down. I did not want to cause problems for the sub caller in the other district. What would you have done?

Thanks so much,
    thesub

3. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Oct 8, 2012

I would also have turned down the other job. Better to build good relationships in this biz.

4. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Oct 8, 2012

As much as I would love the full day, I would've stuck with the first offer. Don't want any complications.

5. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Oct 8, 2012

I would have stuck with the first offer. (unless I needed to pay the rent.) There is no black and white for some things. I think you made the right choice:)

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 8, 2012

My mother told me to stick to my committments. So, even if something better comes along, if you've already made the committment, stick to it.

7. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Oct 8, 2012

It is absolutely ethical, to choose to make extra money in a "profession" that practically qualifies you for federal poverty levels. If that person ever had a problem with it, tell them in no uncertain terms to ____ ___.

Obviously, I'm going a bit overboard here, but I think most people in education know how much you make. And that being the case, no one will (or should) begrudge you for trying to make your meager income slightly less meager.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 8, 2012

I think I would have kept the job just because you got a specific call for it. If it was a job you accepted online, I would have felt fine about cancelling it.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 8, 2012

You did the right thing.:thumb:

10. thesub

thesub Comrade

Oct 8, 2012

Thank you all for the different POVs.

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 8, 2012

I think I have done it maybe twice in the past 2 years. It was basically canceling a 1 day job for a multi-day job.

Now before I have done this, I always stuck to my word and actually lost out on days of work because of my prior obligation. Then one day when promised to sub for a teacher for 1 day, and got the offer for a week, i asked the teacher (with the 1 day). She said she understands, all teachers do, because at one point a lot of them were subs. She said it totally makes sense that I would do the job with the more money - they will find another sub.

That made sense. Although I try not to do this. It depends on a few details: I wouldn't cancel a 1 day job for a 2 days job, but if I had nothing else for the week except for Monday and then I'm offered a full week, it makes sense. But also you have to watch out when to cancel, a week before is ok, 1-2 days before is not.
    Teachers cancel all the time, it's probably not their fault, their training day or Pd have changed, but does that leave the sub? For example tomorrow I didn't have anything from my regular district so I accepted a job from the K-8 dist. where I'm still on the list. That was in the system, confirmed for over a week. Then Sunday night I get an automated call that the absense is cancelled. ?? I was lucky that I got another job at the same day, same school for another teacher, but that was just luck.

12. thesub

thesub Comrade

Oct 9, 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience. Now that you mention it, about 10 days ago, my one-week job was suddenly cancelled. It was a special ed para job and I was excited that I wouldn't have to hunt for a week. The director of special ed suddenly called me and said they were putting a veteran para for the job who knew the child. I was so upset but I got other jobs thankfully. Things have a way of getting even, I suppose.

13. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 9, 2012

What happened today will justify why it is ok on occasion to cancel for something better.

Today I was supposed to work at a K-8 district (actually it's a school at my house, my daughter used to go here). I had an assignment for over a week, and then Sunday night I got a cancellation notice. The same night I was able to get another assignment at the same school (all through the automated system), and actually got my daughter's old English teacher.

This morning at 6 am I get a call that it is cancelled!! I was not happy! I have been telling everyone at my other schools that I wasn't available, so I lost out. That was my first thought. I tried to get another assignment at 6 am, but there weren't many, and I couldn't. My second thought: is there a problem with me? I haven't subbed here this year, and only a few times last year, but I do know the teachers like me there.

I called the school to find out. They said that the reason was that their training got cancelled, it happened with a couple of teachers.

So now I have an assignment at the same school tomorrow. I also got a text from my regular school if I'm available, they have a job for me. What should I do?
    I'm afraid the school will cancel again today or tomorrow morning (this never happened to me like this, but I guess it could), but the other one would be for sure. If I want to weigh which one would be better, it's about the same. One is close to my house, and it would be an easy day, students finish tests and transfer them to scantrons. Full day. Who knows if they will cancel?

The other school is 45 minutes away (although maybe I can carpool), half/day, over at 11:40, although I have to stay until 2:45 to get full pay. This one won't cancel.

So which one? :)

14. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Oct 9, 2012

Last year I drove 18 miles for a job that I had accepted the previous week. When I started to sign in, the secretary told me not to sign in and wait. She left for a few minutes and when she came back, she said the job had been cancelled but someone had forgot to cancel it in Aesop. It was now about 7:30AM and I couldn't pick up another job, so I drove 18 miles home. Since this school district did not live up to their agreement with me, I would have no problem with cancelling a job with them for a better one. Since I get almost all my jobs through Aesop, the situation never occurs.

15. kmeteach

kmeteach Companion

Oct 9, 2012

Wow, this is awful. The same thing happen to me in the past, but when I arrived at the school, the secretary apologized and then asked me to stay for the day as a floater. I spent the day just going in and out of different classes if the teachers requested help. She should've at least offered the same thing to you, since it was a school error.

16. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 9, 2012

Another thing happened a long time ago, interestingly it was at this very same school. So that's 3 issues at one school, and none at all the other ones.
    A teacher asked me face to face if i could sub for him in a given day, I said yes. (it was a few days ahead of the time). I showed up, it turned out they had another sub. The teacher either had someone put in his absence, or he already did it, or just forgot to request me, but basically they told me they had to go with whoever was in the system. they asked me to wait a little just in case someone doesn't show up, but no, and after half an hour I just went home. Annoying.

17. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Oct 10, 2012

I've cancelled half-day jobs in exchange for full days. I've cancelled full days in order to take multiple day jobs. I'm not in this to make nice with everybody. I'm in it because it's a job and I need the money. Everybody understands that, and if they don't you don't need to sub for them. Honoring commitments is one thing, but I've had jobs cancelled on me that I was counting on and showed up for jobs at schools and told that they just didn't have time to call me to say I wasn't needed because two teachers decided to share a sub...it works both ways.