Have you ever been in a car accident and it was your fault?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by perplexed, Nov 30, 2012.

1. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Nov 30, 2012

I got into a car accident this morning on my way to school. It was at a small stoplight intersection. I've never been in an accident before in the 14 years I've been driving, so it really stinks. My car is probably totaled since the whole front is smashed. I stopped at the intersection for a while. I swear my light turned green, and I just went.

I didn't look both ways though like I usually do, and I hit the back of a business utility truck. He told the police I went through the red light and I said my light was green. Now I'm second guessing myself, and I don't know who's right. I don't remember at all. I never went through a red light before, so I can't believe I'd do that....He said he had a witness who left--maybe he did, maybe he didn't--I don't know. I stayed in my car and waited for the police. I want to take responsibility if it was my fault, but I don't want to admit to something that I'm not sure about either. His insurance company will probably call me later today? What do I say?

3. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Nov 30, 2012

Stick to your story. You remember the light being green, so that's what you say.

I've heard before you should NEVER admit fault of a car accident.

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 30, 2012

Stick to the story...call your insurance person ASAP...any chance you have the same insurance?

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 30, 2012

If you rear ended him, it will be your fault, no matter the circumstances, with only a few exceptions.

6. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Nov 30, 2012

Stick to your story & let the insurance company go from there.

7. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2012

I rear ended a parked car once and did about $3500 worth of damage to it. It was only worth about $3700, so I nearly totaled it.

Oh, I was riding a bicycle.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 30, 2012

Did you actually rear-end him (like because you were driving too closely), or did you just hit his back end? Was he traveling in the same direction as you? I'm confused about your explanation of the accident.

If you remember that the light turned green, then that's what you say.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 30, 2012

I would stick to the story. They will investigate and come to a conclusion.

10. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Nov 30, 2012

I didn't explain very well. I didn't rear end him....more."t-boned" him, but hit the back drivers side. We were both crossing the intersection at different ways...he was going west and I was going north. I will just stick with my story. I hope I never get in an accident again! It was a crappy day!

11. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Nov 30, 2012

If you were waiting and honestly thought the light turned green, it probably did. Accidents are always bad, but look at the bright side...it could have been much, much worse!

12. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Nov 30, 2012

My dad always told us this. As soon as humanely possible after the accident (even if you weren't the one driving), write down what you remember happening so you don't forget. The more times you go over it in your head, the details start to change. Especially when it takes a while to get in contact with the insurance company or you have to recount your story several times.

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Nov 30, 2012

Who got the ticket?

14. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 30, 2012

Absolutely stick to your story. I had an accident where I was the second car in a 3 car rear end collision. The last guy definitely pushed me into the first car and tried to say I hit him first and stopped too suddenly. I did not get a ticket. His insurance guy must have asked me at least 10 times if I remembered two hits or one. He had to pay for both our cars (and his I'm assuming).

I had another accident that was my fault. I was given a ticket at the scene. It was a Cintas truck. Their insurance company never called me but there was no damage to their vehicle either. Mine, however, was a mess!

15. teachinnola

teachinnola Rookie

Nov 30, 2012

If his insurance calls you, I would just tell them to call YOUR insurance company and let them deal with it. That's what you pay them for.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 30, 2012

I've never been in an accident when it was my fault. I was in only 1 accident ever in general. It was on the freeway, similar to dgpiaffeteach's 1st accident story. This young, out-of-state driver hit the car in front of her, who hit me as we were about to move again after being at a stop, so no high speed was involved. My damage was a scractch. I never even got it fixed.

17. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Nov 30, 2012

I would wager if you thought the light was green then the other driver probably went through the red, or maybe it turned red as he was going through and there wasn't a big time difference before yours changed. I agree with others to stick to your story. They may not declare it either one's fault and your insurance will have to cover you and his will have to cover him. We had an accident while traveling that the cop couldn't determine whose fault it was and so neither of us got a ticket but we our insurance had to cover us and the other guy's had to cover him.

18. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2012

DO NOT TALK TO HIS INSURANCE WITHOUT TALKING TO YOUR INSURANCE or a lawyer.