Have you ever been forced to reapply for your position?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Dec 23, 2012

It's happening to me. At first I was dumbfounded. But I've had time to process and I'm doing much better. Every certified teacher has to reapply and interview with a panel to get rehired.

My school is public and next year we have been approved to "go magnet." I think the district wants to weed out the candidates that aren't cut out for it. Realistically speaking, it's going to require more after-hours commitment in the form of meetings and parent nights. It's also going to require a LOT of collaboration. Our magnet program is going to have a large emphasis on bilingual/Spanish (I won't have to worry about that aspect), technology, global awareness, student collaboration and problem solving. The model we will be adopting is called IB. I have never heard of IB until the magnet program was announced. http://www.ibo.org/

Thankfully (and this was a massive relief) we are all guaranteed a position elsewhere in the district if we either don't make the 'cut' or decide magnet isn't for us. Granted, the position could be anywhere/any grade, but it's something!

After much reflection, I'm 99% sure I plan to interview. The only trepidation I have right now is my current team. I like all of my teammates, but we don't work together at all! It's so frustrating! Their idea of "team planning" is running off an extra blackline and putting a copy in everyone's box. A lot of that has to do with the size of my team. There's 7 of us, so it can be tricky to find the time to get together.

So anyway, I'd like to hear from others that have either made a magnet transition (and lived to tell about it) or otherwise had to be re-hired for the same position.

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 23, 2012

I've not been in either of those situations, although I know of several people who have been.

Good luck!

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 23, 2012

It is possible that those teammates who aren't up for collaboration will decide to move to one of the other schools. Interviewing will give you a chance not only to show that they did the right thing in hiring you, but to find out more about what they plan to do with this school next year. Good luck!

5. MJH

MJH Companion

Dec 23, 2012

Twice

Twice at my current school we've had to reapply for positions. The first time the district sent in observers, or as some called them spies. They created a report and based on those observations and the interview process people either stayed or were told they would be put on the displaced list. That was 4 years ago.

Two years ago a new princopal came in and basically did the same thing except sending in observers. He came in an observed the school as a whole and some of us were told that the interview process was a formality that he wanted us to stay and others had to interview and even fight for their position. Those have sinced left the school but in both situations it left hard feelings even to those who didn't want to do the interviewing.

Lucky for me I've survived both around and was able to stay at my school It's the lowest performing school in the state but we are making strides each year. Last year we raised test scores by 25% and we are aiming for an increase of 30% this year.

Good luck in your process and magnet, IB schools really have a higher standard for the students, faculty, parents and community. I really wished our school would go to something like that to help motivate our parents and community.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2012

It's nice to know that you have still have a position if you don't want to or aren't fit for the magnet program. Really look into the philosophy of the magnet school and make sure that it is the right fit for you. You have a choice, so I would definitely do the research.

7. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Dec 23, 2012

The district I worked in last year routinely non-renewed all non tenured teachers and told them they were welcome to reapply. I thought it was an outrageous practice but I enjoyed working there and I needed a job. They interviewed me, but they ended up not rehiring ANY non-tenured teachers. My situation is obviously different than yours. In retrospect, I am probably better off not being there anymore.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 23, 2012

I work in an IB school. Feel free to ask me questions.

9. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Dec 23, 2012

I had to re-apply for each time for my first two teaching positions because both were termed "interim" positions.

The first was 6th grade math. The school had lost their FT math/science teacher for that grade. I didn't have Middle School Science certification, but was hired as the "interim math teacher" for the full year. Even though I got Middle School Science certification before the end of the year (in hopes the P could use that as leverage to change my job to full-time), I still had to re-apply for the job. I lost out to a teacher with more experience.

Later, I got an interim job teaching high school math, even though I had not completed the certification requirements for the position yet. I had to re-apply for that job as well and was offered the position again. I chose to accept an offer from a different school for a couple of reasons.

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 23, 2012

We have some IB schools as well as schools with IB programs. I believe you have to be interviewed for the positions --- as you would for any new program.

11. bison

bison Habitué

Dec 23, 2012

I'm glad you will have a position either way!

I was very interested in IB and spent some time at an IB school relatively recently. Honestly, it wasn't noticeably different. I didn't have the best experience there though, so I am positive that other schools/classes must do it better.

12. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 23, 2012

Your first two years in Hawaii you have to reapply for your job. They're required to post it and let other teachers apply. My first year I wasn't allowed to interview for my job. I was guaranteed a job somewhere, and luckily I was able to stay at my school. For your second year, they have to post your job, but at least you're allowed to interview for it. I still don't really understand how it all works here-it's confusing!