Have you ever been dismissed or asked to resign from any position?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by anonymousscholar, Dec 27, 2020.

1. anonymousscholar

anonymousscholar New Member

Dec 27, 2020

I was terminated from my position just recently due to poor teaching performance from a charter school (which was a complete joke of a place to work at anyways). Yet, I am struggling to fill out new applications due to this question being on virtually all of them. Is there anyone out there who has ever gotten a job again by check marking "yes" and given a valid explanation in the box below? Any advice (and/or words of encouragement) would be appreciated. I have read this is a question put on applications to screen potential job applicants for I guess more serious reasons of termination.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 27, 2020

Honesty may be tough on this one, but it's the best policy. Explain that it wasn't a good fit and why, but also have takeaways that will make you a stronger teacher down the road. I have not dealt with this firsthand, but I have had enough friends who have dealt with it and have been able to move on.

4. tuankiet153

tuankiet153 Rookie

Dec 27, 2020

This is rare to me since I just witnessed a teacher resigned from his position, never seen anyone else forced to resign because of poor teaching performance. Normally, the admin team will wait until the end of school year to make a final decision. This is the difficult time for you to look for job. Though you land a job, it is not easy to adapt new environment. Anw, Wish you the best in the future.
    https://www.aei.org/education/k-12-schooling/why-dont-teachers-get-fired-for-poor-teaching/

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  5. anonymousscholar

anonymousscholar New Member

Dec 27, 2020

Yes, after some reflection and remaining positive, I do feel like I am a stronger person coming out of it. I researched too that honesty is the best policy and sounding positive about the previous experience. The only problem is my supervisor did not really give me any specifics about letting me go about a month and a half ago. They just said it was related to times we have met after observation but no rubric was really given on where I needed to improve. I feel like the school is starting to hurt more and more financially, and they just needed a reason to let me go for someone cheaper.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020