Have you ever...been asked to resign a position...or terminated from employment?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rosebudlife, Feb 7, 2019.

1. rosebudlife

rosebudlife New Member

Feb 7, 2019

I had a family emergency I had to attend to in 2007, so I broke my contract 2 months early. The applications I'm filling out state: "Have you ever failed to be rehired, been asked to resign a position, resigned to avoid termination, or terminated from employment?"

What does the last part of the question mean? Does it mean have I "been terminated" or did *I* terminate? If I state yes, I have to explain. Do I simply state no, and then leave that year of experience out of my application as well as off of my CV? I'd like my experience to count though... The application also states "Any misstatements or omissions of any information in the application may be cause for you to be terminated."

This same question was posted here in 2009, but my circumstances are different somewhat, and it is 10 years old, so I thought I'd post a new thread. Thank you for your thoughts.

Sincerely,
    Amy

3. Aces

Aces Habitué

Feb 7, 2019

Personally I feel like something that happened 11+ years ago won't be considered either way. That being said, I would be honest and just explain the situation to them and what had happened. That way if it does come up, you were upfront about it. Otherwise, you lied on your application.

4. rosebudlife

rosebudlife New Member

Feb 7, 2019

I asked my lawyer husband and business field father, and they both said it sounds like it means they terminated me. So, I left everything as is. I'm keeping the school experience saying I left in March for a family emergency. I will answer all questions and let them know how I understood it if asked. I really don't think I'm lying. It is the wording that I don't really understand.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 7, 2019

From what you've said, rosebudlife, I think you're handling this correctly: both for checking the "no" box (because the intent of that badly-phrased question is almost certainly to determine whether you got sacked, not whether you left for reasons unrelated to the job) and for being upfront about why you left the job when you left.

6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Feb 7, 2019

Have you ever been fired, or resigned when your employer asked you to so they wouldn't need to fire you, is how I understand it.

7. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2019

That question asks about being terminated, and that was not your situation, so I think you truthfully answered the question. I have had to answer yes, due to my position being terminated. It ended up working out in my favor, as I love my current job.