Have you ever asked students in resource for school supplies?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by waterfall, Aug 15, 2013.

1. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 15, 2013

Since you're not sure about the supply room, I would definitely ask and make sure it doesn't exist. Most schools I have been to either have a supply room or another way to request basic supplies like paper, but I know it varies. There's a chance that they just didn't tell you about it!

2. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 15, 2013

Yeah I will check. I did find out today that I have my own full size classroom :woot: which I am really excited about. My dad has been teaching sped for almost 30 years in various schools and he has never once had his own room, so I'm never sure.

3. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 15, 2013

I did this a little bit last year and I admit I went back to tissues mostly for myself, lol. I have a runny nose pretty much all winter. Our toilet paper was that really cheap scratchy kind and it was irritating my skin.

I might have to start out with that though...maybe the kids will be more motivated to go home and ask for tissues if they see that their other option is toilet paper:p.

4. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Aug 16, 2013

I didn't mean that you should ask students to buy extra supplies that they wouldn't use. However, by meeting with the teams that build the list for each grade level, perhaps you could find some common elements that are used by all. If you have additional needs, perhaps they could be indicated by putting your name behind that item. A student who has you for a teacher would then know to buy that item. We have some teachers who request specific items, and that is how we handle it.

5. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2013

I would email all of the teachers at your school. Since I don't have my own class, I don't get things like tissues, hand sanitizer, etc. that the students bring in to their classrooms. If I ever need something, I email everyone and ask if anyone would be willing to donate supplies. I've received tissues, hand sanitizer, cleaning wipes, construction paper, pencils, erasers, and glue sticks. Everyone is really generous (our students also have huge supply lists). I know you don't service all of the students in the school, but some teachers might have extra supplies they would be willing to share.

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 16, 2013

The thoughtful teacher who retired at the end of last year shared binders with me, too. :wub: She was so wonderful! They weren't brand new, but they got the job done.

I didn't buy any, but I happened to see relatively inexpensive 1" binders at Big Lots a few weeks ago. I think they might have been 90 cents each...

7. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2013

http://onebyone.4imprint.com/application.aspx

I've had great luck getting stuff from this company! It's usually either samples or overstock or misprints, but it does the job!

If you just pick something from their website (or, a range of items for better luck), they check their warehouse of misprints and overstock and if they have it, will send the items!

http://m.4imprint.com/tag/296/binders

I've gotten wallets for Community trips, binders, and pens.

They're very generous and want to make donations to people who need them.

8. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 16, 2013

I gave my kids a separate supply list for Special Ed. Not sorry.

9. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 17, 2013

1 inch is too small unfortunately...some of my 2 inch ones were busting at the seems! However, I did check the Big Lots website and they have these 10 drawer storage carts for less than $30. I've been looking for something affordable like that to use as sturdy mailboxes/cubbies for YEARS, so thanks! I would have never thought to look there.

10. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 17, 2013

Your class is mostly self-contained, right? I would think that it's more acceptable to ask for a separate list of supplies, in that case. Then parents can, for the most part, ignore the regular supply list and only focus on yours. We have a teacher at my building who does this, too, because his students spend most of the day in his classroom, outside of the regular classroom. All of my students go back and forth between my room and the regular room all day long. Most of them spend more time in regular ed than in special ed, so I have a hard time asking for them to buy more for me. I really wish their classroom teachers would just share a little bit.

11. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 17, 2013

No problem. Glad you found them! I actually looked at those, too. They're a little too shallow for what I was hoping to use them for, but they look like they would be perfect for mailboxes. :)