Have you ever "Adopted a Soldier" with your class?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teach'ntx, Jan 10, 2011.

1. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Jan 10, 2011

I know there was the issue of sending Christmas letters/cards to soliders for a grade, but I was wondering if anyone has done the "Adopt a Soldier" program with their class.
    Since my students are learning how to write letters, each one could take a turn each week as the scribe and write a letter to our solider telling them what we are doing. I would also have this on the list of activities to do when students have finished their other work. The idea would be our soldier would get atleast a letter every week to two weeks depending on time it takes to get there.
    My students nor their families could contribute anything to a care package, but as much as they like to draw and color, they could add some color to the barracks :).
    I have not talk to anyone at school, as I just saw an ad in our neighborhood newsletter. I also wanted to gauge other's opinions and results (hopefully) first.
    :thanks:

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 10, 2011

I think that is a great idea. I send packages to the troops. The web sites say that getting hand drawn pictures is a real treat.

4. JenniferVan1

JenniferVan1 Rookie

Jan 11, 2011

I agree. Its a great opportunity for kids to understand (a little bit about) what is going on and to show their support. We did the program when I was in school and I remember it being really cool when we would receive a reply.

5. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jan 11, 2011

Sounds like a great idea. What is the website?

6. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Jan 11, 2011

We adopted my cousin, a marine in afghanistan. He loved getting the letters, and the kids loved writing to him. Now we're thinking of sending valentines.

7. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jan 11, 2011

soldiersangels is a great website to go through- in 2005 or maybe before that I "adopted" 3 soldiers and still correspond with one.

8. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Jan 11, 2011

Thanks everyone for their input. I thought about "adopting" my SIL who is in afghanistan, but she has 6 children at home sending her all sorts of artwork, emails, and letters. I thought it would be nice to find someone who does not have a bunch of people sending them letters.
    The site I was looking at is adoptaussoldier dot com. I have not looked at solidersangels and will look at that one as well.
    I will confirm the school does not have an issue (but I am doubting it will) and will hopefully start this next week.

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 11, 2011

I use anysoldier.com.

10. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jan 12, 2011

My class collects trial sized items (shampoo, deodorant, baby wipes, powder, toothpaste, etc) and we give it to the red cross. They give soldiers being deployed a gallon sized ziplock with the toiletries. In some small way we feel we are giving back this way and the students better understand the conditions that the soldiers are facing.