Have You Been Moved to a New Room and Opened the Cabinets and SCREAMED?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AspieTeacher, Aug 19, 2011.

1. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Aug 19, 2011

I love the fact that i'm moving classrooms, but when I opened the teacher's desk, the cabinets, and the sliding storage areas I practically fainted. I have never seen so much JUNK piled up and almost falling off the shelves. It was a disaster area. I just began sorting and purging on Monday and i'm less than 1/4 of the way finished and this is FRIDAY! The summer maintenance crew wants to clean up my room, but I have tons of materials that the previous teacher hasn't picked up and i'm almost pulling my hair out. There is one big good thing about this. They picked up the old refrigerator and took it away, YAY! This is an autism support high school classroom. How many of you also felt this way when you got into a new classroom?
    Share your stories.

3. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Aug 19, 2011

Oh yeah, that was me last year. There were two desks full of junk, 2 big filing cabinets, and 4 huge storage cabinets all full of junk. It took me 4 days to clear out the desks and one file cabinet plus getting the classroom to a decent shape.

I feel your pain. Hang in there!!!! After so much work I got to enjoy my beautiful huge classroom with gorgeous windows facing downtown.

4. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 19, 2011

This happened to me when I first started teaching. The person I replaced left papers everywhere in my classroom--counters, cabinets, boxes, etc. At first I was afraid to touch any of it, because I didn't know if he was coming back for it, but as the first day of school approached I just started throwing it all away.

Also, we used to have "teacher suites" at the end of every wing in my building. Every teacher had a cubicle with a desk, drawers, and cabinets. (It was nice while it lasted. They eventually moved district offices into these areas.) His entire cubicle (which became mine) was FULL of boxes of papers--some of which were from when he was in high school! I think he saved every memo he ever received as a teacher. It took me weeks to get rid of everything.

5. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Aug 19, 2011

I had that last year. I got the desk and one full filing cabinet + some storage cabinets cleaned. Through the year, I would take one more filing cabinet at a time and cleaned out a few more. I still have a whole room (newspaper archives) that need something done with them.

6. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Aug 19, 2011

Because I've always been the junior member of my department when it was time to RIF, this is my 3rd school in 4 years and this is the first time I haven't had to clean out my room before moving in. Apparently the teacher before me was a neat freak and I thank God for that. However, every morning I would come back to crap on my desk because other teachers on the hall were cleaning out their room so they put it in my room to see if "I wanted any of it." I would then put it back out in the hall for the custodians to pick up.

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 19, 2011

I was told I was being transfered to a new school. In June when I moved into my new room I about died. It was horrible. I spent my summer organizing the room.

8. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2011

I have one this year. I'm excited about looking through that crammed cabinet for hidden treasures, but wondering when I'll have the time to sort through it.

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 20, 2011

I have had the same experience. I took all the old stuff and put it in boxes. If I needed something from the boxes, I still had it. I tucked the boxes under a table to keep them out of the way.

10. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Aug 20, 2011

I had a similar experience. The cabinet contained all kinds of junk, from old wrapping paper to scraps of cloth. The strangest thing I found was a box pom-poms, ribbon, and STICK PINS. The teacher said he reserved this box for students who finished early with their work! I didn't even ask!

11. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 20, 2011

I guess I have been lucky, although I have had to move classrooms 3 times within the same building, I never had to deal with anyone else's junk. For those of you who have, do you ever keep any of it, or do you just toss it?

12. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Aug 20, 2011

I usually toss it all if it's really unorganized and useless. I have tried to file some worksheets that look really good, but I found it was easier to just go buy the workbook.

13. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2011

In my second year teaching I got moved to a new school in November. I discovered garbage-real garbage such as mouse leavings, food... stuffed in every drawer and cabinet throughout the room. The room also had fifteen broken unrepairable computers all over the room with parts jammed all over. The same teacher had thrown the kids text books in the school dumpster. I had to hunt and plead to get the textbooks replaced. It took me days to clean the room of just the garbage since the year had already started (one good thing was there was no do I need this, it all went straight to the garbage can).