Have to get it out of my system!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by myKroom, Oct 12, 2009.

1. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Oct 12, 2009

It snowed this weekend here in Iowa! This is the earliest snow that I can remember. There is more coming today. This morning it was 27 degrees with the windchill. However, our superintendent is refusing to turn the heat on in the elementary! It's 50 degrees in my classroom!!!!!!! It's been this way for about a week now...and I'm getting really angry! Right now I'm wearing running tights, dress pants, two undershirts and a Columbia fleece jacket and I'm FREEZING!!!! Oh...but the high school gets heat! They are in a brand new building and have good windows and a system that that kicks on automatically! GRRRRRR!!!

I'm also getting mad about constant reminders to try to keep the kids healthy!! How can I keep kids healthy when it's 50 degrees in my room!??? How is this a productive work environment for my kids!

Okay...I feel a little better...just had to get that out before I started the day! Thanks!

3. round stanley

round stanley Companion

Oct 12, 2009

Get the parents involved

I'm sure you have a sympathetic parent or two. Have them call the school district and raise the roof. Nothing like the threat of a lawsuit to bring a little sense to the kings and queens of downtown.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 12, 2009

Wow. Does the press know about this? What does the health department say?

Don't hate me, but it's 93 degrees here. :huh:

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2009

REmind the parents at pickup time to dress the kids warmly because the school isn't heated yet and they need to stay warm. I'm guessing that will get the phone calls started.

6. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Oct 12, 2009

It has warmed up to a balmy 57 degrees! We have sent notes home to parents informing them that the heat will not be turned on until November nothing has happened so far. I honestly thought about calling then media! This is ridiculous!!! The teacher across the hall has hat, gloves, coat, and a blanket...her room is worse then mine! My hands are shaking as I'm typing!

Send some of that 93 this way!!!!

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 12, 2009

I'd love to, myKroom. We're so sick of it. Are you allowed to use space heaters? I'm sure you aren't because they are risky, but it's a thought. How are the kids behaving? Can any of them stay on task?

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 12, 2009

I used to keep my old school at 65 degrees. I have heard that if it isn't really warm it keeps the colds away. But 50 to 60 degree is crazy! I am so sorry you are freezing. I'm surprised the parents haven't complained!

9. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Oct 12, 2009

Some of our local schools are just as bad due to absurd policies that dictate WHEN they turn on the heat. Why on earth would you determine that by a date, as opposed to...oh, gee... perhaps... the TEMPERATURE?

I'd say either try to (carefully) get parents to complain, or try the oil filled, radiator style space heaters (which parents might be willing to pay for). Those style of heaters are not nearly as dangerous, and aren't much of a fire hazard....

10. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Oct 12, 2009

Send a little 50 degrees my way. This is the nastiest heat/humidity in October Ive ever seen in 30+ years of PE.

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 12, 2009

Oh my, this is not acceptable. You might call your union, as this is an unsafe work environment. Yes, kick up a fuss. I can't believe the kids are not more vocal.

12. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Oct 12, 2009

I bet the higher ups will take notice if all the children and the teachers get sick and have to miss days .
    In my case I work in my bosses house she sets the heat to 60 and when it drops below that the heat goes on.

13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 12, 2009

Oh, my...this is absurd! If your temperatures are anything like us here to your west, it is awfully cold! It was 18 degrees 2 nights ago. Last night was slightly better, but not much!

Do you have a friend who is also a parent?

14. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Oct 12, 2009

Apparently our heater is broken too! They are in the process of fixing it...but even then I'm not sure that the superintendent will turn it on! Our principal is trying to convince him to turn it on!!! I hope she is successful. Of course...his office is in the heated high school!

My kids have been HORRIBLE today! It has been a totally unproductive day!!!!! We have accomplished NOTHING!

Please send warm thoughts!!!! ;)

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2009

While it's not the case in my school, I've always heard October 15- March 15 for heat. (Could it be a carryover from Student Teaching in NYC?? Anyone???)

So, either way, this should end by next weekend.

Hang in there!!

16. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Oct 12, 2009

That is definitely not okay. I would be kicking up a storm about this one as much as I could. It's just not safe for you or the kids health.

17. GG Fan

GG Fan Rookie

Oct 12, 2009

I totally sympathize. I'm always cold anyway, and was told that I have the coldest classroom in the building. Yippee. November 1 is also our date for turning on the heat. That's fine . . . but I wish we could prevent the cold air that blows through the vents. I've been wearing winter clothes since the middle of September . . . what's a few more weeks, right?

18. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 12, 2009

I would get a small space heater and get to school early. Do work at your desk and get the room warmed up. Also, do you have windows that you could either 1) cover up to keep the cold out or 2) uncover to let the sun shine in and warm up the room?

Our system is nuts. One side of our building freezes, the other side (facing the sun/ocean) is roasting. It was 40-50 degrees outside last week, sunny, and in my classroom it was between 70-85 degrees! Kids were miserable.

19. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 12, 2009

I think I would anonymously alert the media if it continued, that just isn't a working environment for kids or adults. I would also probably get a space heater in the interest of my own comfort.

20. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Oct 12, 2009

Remind the school board that everyone is predicting the swine flu disaster.If the conditions lead to illnesses the law suits due to the conditions in the building could be very costly.
    I am shocked the parents are not complaining. What does your union say?
    Good Luck. I hope conditions improve.

21. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 12, 2009

I can visualize little popsicle kids freezing. I bet they don't move much when they're that cold.

If I were a parent, I'd be having a fit!

22. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 13, 2009

I don't think classroom temp affects the spread of flu germs.

23. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Oct 13, 2009

Update!!!!

We had heat today! :):):p:p:):)

It was a great day!! The kids behaved and we were all warm and in a good mood.

24. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2009

Yay! I'm so glad to hear that!!!!

25. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Oct 16, 2009

I am happy to hear that the higher ups finally came to their senses.

26. JRTLover

JRTLover Rookie

Oct 16, 2009

Let the parents know, they are the only ones who can make a difference. We have the opposite problem in Florida, in the beginning of the school year my sister went to registration at her high school and one room in particular was quite warm at about 83 with air on! The teacher told us all that they would not turn the A/C down lower in the room because the entire building was on a fixed temp of 75, but with the Florida sun it really does not help! All of the parents/guardians were fanning themselves and we knew the kids could not concentrate like that. The teacher asked us to, please, make the calls or send some e-mails to get the air on and it worked.

On a side note... 50 degrees sounds so beautiful right now lol. It is in the 80's (there is a cold front!) today, and has been in the 90's forever! Sick of it!

27. JRTLover

JRTLover Rookie

Oct 16, 2009

I just read the update, don't know how I missed it!

28. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 16, 2009

Glad to hear you are warm and toasty now, myK.

I'm with you, JRT. The FL sunshine heats up the glass so much that it has to be covered. I hate that.

29. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Oct 16, 2009

Same Problem

Lots of places have archaic rules about turning on heat and A/c based on dates, not temperatures. I complained to our admin once during an early cold snap and was told that they use dates for turning on the heat so they can budget more accurately.