Have to brag on some of my students. . .

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MelissainGA, Oct 6, 2010.

1. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Oct 6, 2010

for the first time in the past several years I have several students who have passed all of their multiplication facts and some of their division facts and we are only ending the first nine weeks this week. Normally it's like pulling teeth while standing on my head and whistling dixie with one arm tied behind my back (get the picture of the difficulty normally experienced :lol: ). I still have 3 or 4 that are giving me the teeth pulling picture but the other 15 are really doing well. Maybe this class won't have math scores in the basement this year like the crew from last year. :whistle: one can only hope.

3. texteacher

texteacher Companion

Oct 6, 2010

Yay! That's awesome! Hopefully the others will figure it out too.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 7, 2010

Hooray!

(Melissa--I just got an email from my son. Seems that he just found the parcel I asked him to take to the post office back in August under the seat of the car. Your cards are on their way!)

5. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Oct 7, 2010

How are you getting them to learn the math facts? I am still pulling teeth. Parents are not helping at home. I am in fourth and my students are way behind. How are you getting your success? Do you use a program or system? Any help would be appreciated.

6. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Oct 7, 2010

LOL MrsC that's fine, the kids are still enjoying the ones that you sent the last time. I am able to put out some of the more advanced cards now that they are learning the concepts they enjoy the challenge of the cards :).

Heavens54, just routine, constant, daily practice. We have been working on them for 8 weeks (I started before the curriculum map said because of the fact that they had so much trouble last year) and we went over them every day as our morning work (most are there by then). I have the Math Smarties and Multiplication Rap CD. I also have the math games (hand held that look like a video game) from Scholastic. We play Multiplication Bang (put the multiplication flash cards and some cards that say "BANG" on them in a can, they draw a card if they get the card right they get to keep it. If they draw a Bang they have to give all their cards back) I also challenged them that anyone that could learn all of their facts before the end of the first nine weeks would get free ice cream in the cafeteria, my treat (not to mention a 3 on their report card).

The biggest thing that worked was the repeated drill. It stuck, thank goodness. Can only hope everything else works that quick.

7. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Oct 9, 2010

Melissa, what do you use for drill? Is there a program? I need a times program or system. Did you set up a chart for them? I think it is the timed part that stumps me. How many problems, how much time do I give them? Do you work your way up from the 2s? I have seen this done in a rather scientific method, that is what I am looking for, I guess...