Have offer to interview for 1st AND 7/8 grade science!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Rainbowbird, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 24, 2013

So I have an interview coming up for first grade in a nearby district. Nice town. I know the p; our children are in the same class as we live in the same small town. We have always had a warm rapport and good discussions about education. So I'm pretty sure this is not just a courtesy interview. I sent her my packet in early June before she had any openings and she emailed me as soon as she had some.

Today she emailed me again saying she also has a 7-8 science position! (This is a small k-8 school)!!!! I have a science background in addition to my 9 years teaching grades 2,3, and 4. I spent 3 years working as a vet tech and assistant manager to the practice, and 3 years as a project manager for a scientific translation company. My master's is in elementary science Ed.

So I'm very intrigued. Perhaps I would enjoy working with older kids. I know I would enjoy the content. But am I really qualified...well, I guess that's up to them to decide.

I also love the idea of teaching first grade, having done my student teaching at that level. But I hate the tests we are cramming down little kids' throats these days.

I am wondering this: if I interview for both, and bomb the science interview, does that affect my chances negatively for the other job?

Also, I would love to hear from others who teach jr. high. My husband teaches 8th grade science, so he would be a real help to me. But I'd love to hear from you all.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2013

Sounds like both jobs would be fun. I have heard of people interviewing and the P telling then they may be better in a different position. So, if you think you may have bombed the science interview, it may not hurt you for 1st grade.

Good luck with both!

4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2013

Can you do just one interview and then they can decide where you will best fit? You can mention how you're excited to work with 1st graders, as that is your background, but you also are thrilled to try a new challenge with the middle school science position.

5. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 24, 2013

I think I'd have to interview for both positions...I believe it would be two separate teams comprising each committee.

I think first grade is my comfort zone, but I would love the jr. high content. I'm kind of all over the place with my experience and background. I guess it makes me somewhat versatile, but also makes it a little harder to decide what to do!

6. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jul 24, 2013

Personally, I would interview for the position that I could sell myself better as an ideal fit for the school and the position.

7. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 24, 2013

I'll be honest, the thought of teaching seventh and eighth graders kinda terrifies me. I just have no experience with them. Maybe despite the lousy job market here, I should just be honest with myself about my limitations, real or perceived...I just wonder if I could do it!

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2013

I could have written this 12 years ago. I went to an interview (that a former administrator had set up for me) for a grade 7/8 position and literally said to the interviewer that I didn't teach students that age. She didn't listen; I got the job, and in spite of my initial trepidation, I grew to love that age group.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2013

Good luck!

(Weird- I think they would like to save themselves time and consider you for both!)

10. LC ELA

LC ELA Rookie

Jul 24, 2013

I have applied for multiple positions at the same school, and I was told to expect separate interviews, as the hiring committees were entirely different. Good luck!!!

11. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jul 25, 2013

Worst combination. ever!

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2013

I taught a 7/8 combo for 3 years. I have a different opinion.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2013

Everyone has their strengths, Milsey, and their preferred grade levels where they've been most successful. Sometimes it's good to stretch ourselves to do things we thought we couldn't. That's how we change and grow.
    A bit of self reflection on why a particular grade evel combination didn't work out or you might be beneficial.:2cents:

14. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 25, 2013

It's actually not a multiage assignment. I would be teaching a couple of sections of each grade. The school is not big enough to have a teacher for each grade.

They called me today for the first grade interview, haven't heard about the 7/8 yet.

15. My3kloves

My3kloves Rookie

Jul 25, 2013

I agree with this! I think it looks good when you mention that you want to be put where they feel is best for you. It shows you are flexible and adapting. I prefer to teach kinder but if a P feels I fit better as another grade, I'd try it out. :)

16. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 25, 2013

It will be separate committees but I'll certainly try to convey this.