Have not heard from interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by thewife, Apr 21, 2013.

1. thewife

thewife Rookie

Apr 21, 2013

Iwas just wondering, is it typical to not hear from a school about the job after an interview until after the board meeting even if you didnt get the job? I just thought that the people that would not be getting a position would get a letter saying that they were hiring someone else blah blah blah. Why would they wait until after the meeting to tell me that I didnt get the job? I thought maybe they are going to offer me the position, I am too impatient to wait a month. Hmmm just have to wait a little longer I guess.

3. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Apr 21, 2013

Typically they will call before the board meeting. They usually call and tell the candidate they are selected but its not official until after the meeting. As far as when they tell those not chosen, it varies by district. I didnt hear for a month once and ive also been called the next day and told.

How long has it been since your interview?

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2013

Yes...this is how it typically works in my district...you hear before the meeting if you got the job...

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 21, 2013

From my very first interview I never heard anything afterwards! There were 5 people interviewed, not sure if there was a board meeting involved, but nothig, not an email, or letter or anything.

You just never know. But if you have to wait that long, I would keep applying if I see other job openings, just in case.

6. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Apr 21, 2013

You should ask them next time at the end of the interview when you should expect to hear from them. Sometimes I forget to do that so they just tell me. It's nice to have a timeline in mind so you're not left hanging.

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2013

I have never experienced this myself, but a lot of people have posted on here that if they're not hired they just never hear anything back telling them officially that they weren't chosen. I've always gotten a generic e-mail or letter. The person who is chosen will definitely be told before the board meeting because they wouldn't want to go through all that before knowing that the candidate accepted the job.

If it's been at least a week since you interviewed, I think it's okay to send a little e-mail asking them where they are in the process of selecting a candidate just so you know for sure. I wouldn't count on anything and definitely keep applying/interviewing.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2013

My P doesn't like to contact the runner up until the other person has passed all of their reference/background checks. She's been burned twice. However, everyone knows before it goes to the board.

I would keep looking. I'm still waiting to hear from an interview that I had in 2006 ;)

9. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Apr 21, 2013

It's been about 50/50 with my experiences. Half the time, I've gotten a letter saying I didn't get it, and half the time, I never hear anything. Usually when I have heard something, it has been a while later, sometimes several weeks.

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2013

Ten years later, there are some interviews I still never heard from. It's hurtful and unprofessional, but it happens. Definitely continue to apply and search...if they contact you, great, but if not, you can move on.

11. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Apr 22, 2013

I agree that it is only about 1/2 the time that I heard anything following job interviews. I even had one interview once where the principal made it sound like I had the job. He said things like "I have to see a few other people, but I think you're the right fit for us" and "I'll give you a call on Tuesday and we can work out a time for you to come in and meet everyone." I never heard back and I called and emailed him after that because I was so sure the job was mine! He never responded to me.

I wouldn't give up hope yet, but I would definitely continue to look. I hope you get some good news soon.

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 22, 2013

I called after an interview one time & was told the letter was in the mail. I guess it got lost, as almost 4 years later I haven't heard anything.

Around here, you usually only hear if you get the position. Although, I think for the position I just interviewed for they called people who didn't get the position. I didn't get that call! :D

13. thewife

thewife Rookie

Apr 22, 2013

It has been 5 weeks Board meeting this week.

14. thewife

thewife Rookie

Apr 22, 2013

Wow, I have always recieved a letter from the school I have interviewed at, even though it has been for non-certified positions. But it has also always been at the same school district. I just assumed they would all let the interviewees know that the position has been filled. Well it has been 5 weeks so guess I wont hear from them. Love to get a job, but really didn't want to drive that far and it is harder when you have kids to get ready for shcool in the mornings. I have another interview in two days and it is alot closer to home still not the same district my kids attend but alot better than an hour away. Thanks for the responses appreciate it.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2013

Keep sending out your package to EVERY Private, public and charter school within a reasonable commute distance EVEN IF no openings are posted.