I like to read this forum, as there is always someone out there going through something similar. I've gotten myself into a huge mess, and would really appreciate some prayers or advice on how I can fix things. I have been a LTS for a year and a half. You read that correctly! I've been at it a while. The teacher I subbed for has returned, so I have been searching for a job all summer. I did a great job in the sub position and as a result have some excellent references. I have taken several interviews, but have been offered nothing in my state except more LTS positions. Some are not even a full year, and no benefits. I hate to go backwards, so I decided to try for a district out of state. I successfully interviewed and was offered three positions, but declined as they weren't a good fit (low performing school, teaching off a cart, etc.) It is now the end of the summer. In a desperate move, I decided to reapply out of state, to a county close to the one I was successful in the last time. I interviewed, was offered a job, and accepted on the spot. This was last Friday. I signed a contingent contract, which was based on my getting my paperwork and such back to the human resources office. Well, I spent the day at the school I was hired at, and saw more than I needed to know that I had made a mistake. I will keep my reasons general... the area I would be teaching in would take a great deal of effort to prepare, and students were starting very soon. The area around the school was very downtrodden, and I could see the experience would be similar to teaching in an urban setting. I felt very behind, unprepared, and found out I would have to commute 2 hours each way for a month until I had the two pay stubs I needed to get an apartment. I called HR that afternoon and told them my feelings. They asked me to think it over and let them know if I was staying or leaving by the next morning. Ultimately, I decided to leave. I am now left with nothing except per-diem subbing. I applied to a few jobs and have some interviews later in the week, so I may still end up with something. Here is my biggest concern. I let my principal, my former co-worker, and a reference know that I had finally found a position. I am going to look like the worst person in the world if I go back now and tell them I changed my mind. I know they will probably think less of me and this could possibly affect their references for me for future districts.... Help! Is this situation recoverable? Should I go talk to them in person? They will wonder what happened if a district contacts them, as they are currently under the impression I am hired.