Have I said I don't enjoy Christmas yet?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, Dec 22, 2010.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 22, 2010

:dizzy:

Okay, I just typed and then deleted a terribly lengthy vent about Christmas and my family. It was therapeutic, but I determined that not everyone would understand my frustration and might mistakenly believe that I was the crazy one, when if fact it is another. I just had a ridiculous conversation with a family member regarding the sending and receiving of Christmas cards...and the person on the line ended the call after effectively making something out of nothing...and that's all I'll say about that.

So, there. That's my condensed, watered-down vent. :p

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2010

Sending *hugs* your way and some very classic Christmas music! Turn the radio on and let go.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 22, 2010

Thank you. I've been listening to one of my favorites, a "Scottish Moors" album. Not Christmas music, but oh so relaxing and beautiful!

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2010

Good for you! It's exactly what you need. And don't worry, Christmas will hit you!

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 22, 2010

I have taken the bull by the horns and do Christmas my way. I do not send out Christmas cards. If I want to connect, I call or go see my friends. I bake only if I want to. I made pies this year for several neighbors. The biggest change is the realization that I am not responible for everyone else's happiness.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 22, 2010

I totally agree. I realize many people find it selfish, but I decided five or six years ago that while I will always taken others into consideration, this is my life. But then you have those who get their feelings hurt when they don't get a Christmas card. Crazy, huh?

8. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Dec 22, 2010

Sorry for the craziness. I haven't felt in the Christmas spirit much this year at all. Hopefully you can put it behind you and enjoy the holidays with your family.

9. funshine2381

funshine2381 Companion

Dec 23, 2010

I don't even send out Christmas cards....period. Don't feel bad.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 23, 2010

Thanks ladies. I don't feel bad about the situation...but I'm annoyed as heck that I have to hear about it and deal with it, you know? I'll be making some holiday treats tomorrow so that should help...sugar is magical like that. :p

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 23, 2010

This year I am not sending out Christmas cards. My family memeers are getting small presents. I'm not going overboard with cooking and baking. I just don't feel like it this year. Everyone has a right to enjoy the holiday to whatever degree they want but I don't see the need to shove it in people's faces 24/7 until December 25th.
    Justme-I hope you have a peaceful holiday and are not bothered by the incosiderate relative.

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 23, 2010

Even my mother, who used to have cards professionally made with pictures and would rush to get them to the post office the day after Thanksgiving is not doing cards this year :eek:! I haven't sent Christmas cards out in about 10 years and I don't feel badly about it.

I'm sorry to hear of your family strife. 'Tis the season-unfortunately people seem to forget the true meaning of the holiday.

13. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Dec 23, 2010

I know what you mean. I normally don't enjoy the days before Christmas at all.

I also didn't send any Christmas cards this year, with internet it's so easy to send a nice message through e-mail and that can be done so quickly that I just don't see the point of sending cards.

14. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 23, 2010

I haven't sent Christmas cards in a few years. I agree with Marci, I email cards, and send messages. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

15. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Dec 23, 2010

I only give cards at school. I may add one to a gift for family or friends but I rarely mail them. We usually get only 1 or 2 from out of town relatives. I do feel kind of bad about not sending them one.

16. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Dec 23, 2010

I don't like most Christmas music, save for Manneheim Steamroller (sp?) but I love my Celtic "Christmas" album.

Oh, and what is the exact name of that album? Is it Scottish Moors??

17. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 23, 2010

I sent out cards this year, but it may be my last. If not, then I will super condense my list of card receivers. It isn't just the money...it is the fact that those I want to connect to, I will.I bake only 2 or 3 kinds of cookies-the days of my marathon baking are over. We decided to go small this year on gifts too. Now that my son is an adult, we all agreed that it is the family time together and remembering why we celebrate this holiday that matters most, not the gifts.

18. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 23, 2010

Ditto that Knitter, to me it's about being together. I have a Christmas tablecloth that we all stenciled with holly berries and leaves when the kids were smaller. My daughter was upset because there was a stain on it I couldn't get out and I told her it wasn't a stain, it was a memory! :)

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 23, 2010

Yes, it's Jeff Victor's Scottish Moors. Love it.

Glad to see not everyone sends Christmas Cards. There are too many questions and rules...and too many who get their wittle feewings hurt. :haha: Must you send one to everyone who sends you one? When to send? Do you send them to people you'll see on Christmas? It just gets silly.

20. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 23, 2010

Love it!:love:

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 23, 2010

Well, even though I decided not to get stressed out over the holidays, I AM stressed! I couldn't sleep last night and ended up doing laundry at 2am. I proceeded to wash my jeans which had money in the pockets! OOPS! I found the money in the dryer in good condition (and much cleaner too)!

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2010

Deep breaths.

Realistically, all that HAS to get done is that kids who are believers need gifts under the tree.

Every other thing is optional.

Don't have Christmas dinner ready? Order Chinese takeout. The kids will love it.

Don't have cards in the mail? Bag it until after Christmas, and call them New Years cards. Or tell anyone who asks that you've gone green this year.

Laundry not done? Throw in one load of underwear,socks, and other bare necessities, then don't sweat it until after Christmas.

No baking done? Hit Carvel, Baskin Robbins or something else incredibly obvious, arrive with the bag and announce "I baked!!!" You'll get a good laugh and everyone will enjoy what you brought.

Messy house? Spend 20 minutes doing the bare minimum to make it presentable. That means a big laundry basket full of dirty laundry stuck in the basement, every paper in the house shoved into your bookbag, and the rest. The only papers you NEED to be careful with are bills and checks... they go into the China Cabinet. Everything else gets shoved into your bookbag until Sunday. And if Christmas carols aren't your thing. blast Motown as you clean. It will make the job go faster.

I post a big to do list because I LOVE getting wrapped up in all the Christmas stuff. That's me, not you. You do what make YOU and your family happy.

In the end, that's what you and your family will remember. Not whether you got your cards out on time, or baked the cookies (as opposed to letting the Keebler elves do the baking) or whether it was turkey with the trimmings or Pork Lo Mein. You and they will remember the laughs and the fellowship you shared.

And JustMe, it sound like you've got your hands full with your family.

I once saw a Boynton card in a shop; I should have bought out their supply.

It was an elephant, flat on his back, overrrun by turkeys.

The caption? "Don't let the turkeys get you down!!!"

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2010

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 23, 2010

Now that's money laundering!

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 23, 2010

I remember that one. Sandra Boynton also drew my very favorite new-baby card ever: it showed a mother and father reindeer, looking exhausted and disconcerted and pleased all at once.

The caption? "Wishing you joy and wonder and some sleep."

26. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 23, 2010

I'm sorry for anyone who has family drama.

I couldn't agree more. I like to make it all about the kids. It makes life so much easier and makes the hassle worth it.

Hoping everyone enjoys the rest of the holidays:)

27. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 23, 2010

I never got around to addressing our cards so they never made it out. My husband said he couldn't believe we didn't send out cards. My response was he could have stepped up and finished them, he didn't bother me again about it! I do have a great husband who never bothers me about doing anything and always supports my decisions:)

28. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 23, 2010

I feel an obligation to do cards each year, although last year's cards are still sitting on my desk in a stack. Along with all the pictures we were going to include. The printer conked halfway through printing the letters and I never bothered to finish the project. I'm thinking we'll take a nice picture at Disney, write a new letter for this year, stuff everything in with the card and call it a double feature. In February.

29. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Dec 23, 2010

Great post!!! Thanks Alicce.:)

30. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 23, 2010

JustMe, I don't know exactly what your situation about cards was about, but I'll say this: :)

Depending on who the person is, a person doesn't always have to give a card back to to someone who first gave them one.

My grandmother used to say, "Don't start doing things if you don't plan to continue", so in regards to giving gifts, don't start if you don't plan to continue givng them (every year)."