Have I made things worse?

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by ograwk, Oct 12, 2012.

1. ograwk

ograwk Rookie

Oct 12, 2012

I'm in need of some help here. First off, this is my first year teaching high school art and things are going pretty well in all periods except one. The class is a painting class (I have four periods of painting). Two days in a row we have had a major fiasco around the sink. I have 41 students in this class, and only one sink. I have some large buckets with water in them to help alleviate the sink shortage. The first day someone turned on the water full blast, sprayed water all over and flooded the floor. The next day someone thought it was funny to turn the faucet around, and again flood the floor. I told the class that if we had any more trouble with the sink, we would not be painting any more and would use colored pencils. The next day, someone flung paint across the room. At that point I said no more paint. Now I have a lot of angry students who enjoyed using the paint and are being punished because of the actions of others. I was going to allow some students to use paint today, the ones I know can handle it, but on entering the room, someone took a palette off the counter (from the previous period that still had useable paint on it) and dumped it on the floor. There was no way it was an accident based on where the palette was being kept. I realized that I can't have paint anywhere! What frustrates me is that I can never catch the blasted culprit! It is a very rowdy group of kids, and it could be any of about 10. I am not having problems like this in any of my other periods (knock on wood!). This is a very immature group. What should I do? There are some wonderful students in this class who deserve to be able to paint, and I feel bad for them that they are stuck in this class. Help!!!!

3. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Oct 12, 2012

I'd put away all materials in that classroom and go over your expectations for all materials before reintroducing them. They can start out with the basics, and earn the paint back. I'd also make sure that the class before this one helps you clean everything up and put all the paint away before they leave. I am sorry that you are having that much trouble. It sounds more like a Kindergarten classroom (and even my kids aren't that bad) than a high school classroom.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2012

I agree.

I might also gently suggest that you find a way to beef up your supervision. I don't understand why you wouldn't notice the sink running to the point of overflowing.

Perhaps another thing you can work on is time management. If you release tables/groups to head over to the sink one by one, you won't have a crowd of 40+ students pushing each other out of the way to get to the sink, knocking things over and being nuisances.

5. ograwk

ograwk Rookie

Oct 12, 2012

I am planning on having them earn the paint back, just not sure how I want to phase it back in. We go over procedures for use and cleanup of materials daily. I have an incentive for cleanup - classes have two ways of winning. They can beat other periods, and/or beat their own score from the week before.

The sink didn't overflow. What happened was someone turned the faucet around, and when the next student went to the sink he didn't notice it was turned around, turned on the water, and it ran all over the counter and onto the floor. Also, they don't all go to wash up at the sink at the same time.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2012

I still believe that things will get better if you can supervise better.

7. ograwk

ograwk Rookie

Oct 12, 2012

I would love to be able to supervise better! I have been trying to figure out how to do that. I have about 10 that I really need to keep my eye on, but when others have questions I need to help them. I'm thinking that instead of me going to the students, I will have them come to me so that I won't have to have my back to anyone. The classroom is huge, so it's hard to see the whole area in one glance. Any advice on ways to improve supervision?

8. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Oct 23, 2012

I agree with others - have the previous period clean up a few minutes earlier so you can check that everything's put away before they leave. Then, go back to basics with the class that's giving you trouble. Stand RIGHT by the sink as kids clean up a few at a time. I'd maybe have your "clean" kids go first since they'll probably go quickly and not make a mess once they're done cleaning up. Then, have the kids you're unsure about go last so you can monitor. (Or one "clean" kid and one "possibly messy" kid together, so they're not at the sink together to peer pressure each other into doing stupid things.)