Have been called back to teach demo lesson--advice?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Rainbowbird, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 23, 2012

It is on Wed. and I am to teach a 35 min. lesson on mixed numbers to a group of students entering fifth and sixth grade. I know that they use Singapore math there in the lower grades and that these students will be introduced to that program this year.

Have to do research this afternoon, but any ideas from you math teachers out there? Alice? :help:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2012

Well, for starters, I know nothing about Singapore math.

Any idea WHAT you'll be doing with mixed numbers?

4. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 23, 2012

Nope, they just said mixed numbers, didn't specify addition, subtraction, etc. I will go look at the standards and then go to a Singapore site and see what I can find. :eek:

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2012

Yay for the demo! Get to those standards and narrow it down to what you think you want to do. I don't know anything about Singapore math, but hopefully you can find some good info. :D

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 23, 2012

I might add the Singapore Math to the title of the thread to find people who know it.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2012

I would definitely look at helping the students to figure out what a mixed number is as well as how they relate to an improper fraction. I love working with cut up post its for this!

8. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jul 23, 2012

I don't know Singapore math either, but I think recipes are a good place to go. You could make some "Special Goop". Go an get some sand, some sugar, just weird and disgusting things. Then tell them that the Special Goop helps keep away the wombats. Give them the recipe for it, and you can actually mix it up. I know it sounds weird, but I have this crazy idea in my head. I doubt it goes with Singapore math at all though.

9. Galois

Galois Companion

Jul 23, 2012

Unit 3 of Level 5A Singapore Math Practice Textbook, appropriate for 6th graders, deals with fractions including mixed numbers. Singapore Math is, basically, a straightforward presentation of a math lesson which starts with a model or example, guided practice (by you), and independent practice. However, each part of a unit ends with word problems. It is also interesting to note that some problems allow the use of calculators. It would be good if you can get hold of a Singapore Math practice textbook which you can find at Barnes and Noble. You may need to run to that store if you don't have one, or try your local library (I doubt). I hope this helps, and all the best in your demo.