Have a few questions

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by shoebottom, Apr 22, 2012.

1. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Apr 22, 2012

I stated a long term sub job in first grade until the end of the school year, where do I list this on my resume? This would be my first real experience besides grad school work and student teaching. Also, should I list the end date being at the end of the school year? Like April 16, 2012 to May 22, 2012.. not sure sense the day hasn't got here yet.

--- In the one week that I have been there I have changed many things.. they did not have reading groups and did everything as whole group, teacher centered. I have started pulling reading groups and allowing the students to work in small groups. The teacher that I am replacing now did not use the Mimio or Elmo in the room and I have changed the seats around to use the technology available in the classroom. I have started them a word wall, which they did not have. Monday we will start carpet time to start working in things to do with the word wall. Should I list these things under the sub work on my resume. I have even changed some parts of the behavior plan because the students knew they were getting away with things they should not have been. This teacher has been out seen right after Christmas break and there has not been a steady sub in the room since. I believe they have been using 8 different people.

What type of thank you should I write? I quick note or a actual letter?-- I am interviewing for a job tomorrow with a teacher panel of 6 and they submit who they want to come back for a second interview with the P and AP.

Also, the P called me about an interview from a resume that I gave out last year (I have not done that so far this year), should I carry a current copy of my resume for the teachers on the panel.. each one a copy or just a few copies?

Thank you for the help :)

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2012

I would list Apr. 16 to present until the assignment ends. I would put this under employment or work history.

I would just do a quick thank you, unless these are people who helped you with your long term sub that you want to write a nice thank you letter.

I would definitely bring your current resume.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2012

I would list it as close to the top as I couldl reasonably put it.

It shows that someone else thought you were better than all the other candidates. It shows that you've had the opportunity to put all you learned into practice. It shows that you've had the opportunity to develop your classroom management, as well as developing your skill at teaching the content. You need to highlight every one of these aspects.

I would bring an updated copy for every member of the panel, as well as a few extras. Paper is relatively cheap-- make sure each has one to look at.

I would write an actual note-- an intro, a quick paragraph referring specifically to something about the interview, and a closing.

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2012

As usual, I agree with everything Alice said! :)

6. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Apr 22, 2012

Thank you, I am leaning towards writing a actual quick letter because this is my dream school and grade level.... I am so excited and nervous at the same time. Is it okay to print the resumes on plain white paper?

7. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Apr 22, 2012

I would spend the time (and money) to print them on nice resume paper. It might be "ok" to print them on plain white, but you don't want to just be "ok" in this job market. You want to stand out and show that you will go above and beyond in every situation.

8. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Apr 23, 2012

Should I include a copy of my cover letter and references with the resumes?

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2012

I agree with using a bit better paper than plain white paper. If you want to include your cover letter, that would be okay, but every teacher on the panel doesn't need your references. You may want to put together a little folder for the members on the panel.

Maybe include your resume, cover letter, brochure, a lesson, etc.

10. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Apr 24, 2012

Bring everything!

I went for a board interview for a job I didn't get due to someone else having more experience. (ugh.) I made a packet for each interviewer with an inexpensive plastic folder. Application, resume, reference list, philosophy statement and some other documents relating to the job, but you could include a lesson plan and maybe a reference letter. This way, they all keep something with your name on it. I'd also bring a portfolio just for showing. It'll make you really stand out as the "prepared candidate."

I didn't get the job, but I was told later that I was obviously the most prepared candidate and that they loved that I had spent all that time and shown that I really had thought throughly about the job. They said if I took that anywhere else, I'd be bound to get the job. (Frankly, I was ****** I didn't get the job, but they said they just couldn't overlook this other person's background.)

11. Xidous003

Xidous003 Companion

Apr 24, 2012

I feel your pain Heather. I was told the biggest reason I wasn't chosen was experience :-(

With that being said, bring it all!!!