hatching eggs - Help

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by kidsalot, Aug 7, 2008.

1. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

I would like to set up an incubator and hatch chicken(?) eggs this year. However I can't seem to find anywhere to purchase the eggs from. I did see some sites you can send away for the eggs but I understand it can be iffy that they survive the trip. I am also looking for a farm that wi;ll take back the chicks once they hatch. I am in northern massachusetts and hope maybe some one has done this and may know where I can find eggs. Thanks!

3. fun2tchk

fun2tchk Rookie

Aug 7, 2008

I'm not sure how close you are to the NH line, but in Salem, NH there is Dodge Grain that I believe sells the eggs.

4. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

I am in chelmsford so I am very close to NH. Thanks a lot!!!

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 7, 2008

I am in Eastern Washington-so where I can buy eggs isn't going to be where you can. However, short of knowing a farmer I would open the phone book and call all the grain co until you find one who will either put you on an "order list" or tell you when they sell eggs.

More importantly, to my room anyway, is where will you take the chickens afterward. If you work it really well, the place you take the chickens could be the same place you get the eggs from next year!!!

6. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 7, 2008

If you lived here, I know a menonite farmer that would give you some, but we are FAR away from you...sorry...:( Good Luck!

7. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

Thanks! I never thought of calling a grain co. I was looking for farms or hatcherys(sp?) I'll do that today.

8. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 8, 2008

That is what team work is for. I am happy to help. In Wa Health Dept is really worried about bird flu-so we have some trouble getting chicks when we state they are for "classroom experiences". If you find it hard to find chicks-drop the teacher part and just go on chick recon.

But-no one will take back the birds when they are big-on acct of the flu i assume. So we have to have a person to give them to. do you have that part of the plan worked out?

All that said, our children LOVED the chick lesson.

9. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

I was hoping that the place I buy them from will accept the chicks back. I may have to reconsider whether I will be able to do this.

10. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 9, 2008

ask, try asking around in your school. Turned out that the secretary in my elm school knew someone who knew someone. You never know.

Don't panic yet.

Would you do it in Spring? Keeping the warm is important, so I would keep it in Spring-where things are sunnier. That gives you months to work on networking.

You can do it. It is great. Are you in a really, really metro area?

11. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Aug 9, 2008

our preK class did this last spring. The kids loved it and so did we. A few children had relatives with farms so they took the chicks home till they got big and then gave them to the people with farms. Depending on where you are, that may work with your students also. Good Luck, it is a wonderful experience

12. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

Aug 9, 2008

I'm in a semi-metro area. I was planning on doing this in the very early spring. Although it is still a bit away I know`what happens once I get back to school and especially in the spring. So I figured if I do the research and legwork now it will save my sanity later! Also I just found out I will have 25 (YIKES!!) children instead of 15!! Thanks for all your help:)