Has Your Spouse Seen Where You Work & Vice Versa?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 13, 2013

Just out of curiosity, how many of you have actually seen at least the outside of the building where your spouse or SO works & have they seen your workplace?

My boyfriend's seen both school exteriors where I used to work. Overall, we've seen about an equal amount of each others', but NEVER the inside of the buildings.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2013

We have been to each other's workplaces on many occasions. My husband normally helps me move each year!

4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2013

My esposo has seen my school from the outside and that's it.

I've been to his job many times.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 13, 2013

My husband and I work together, so we see each other all the time.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 13, 2013

My ex-husband didn't work in an office. He's a musician. He performed at all kinds of places. I'd travel with him when I could. I tell people that musicians are a lot of fun to date, but not practical to marry.

He went to my classroom many times. He painted my room one summer, and he's helped with setup. He also did some volunteer work in my classroom and chaperoned field trips.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2013

I make my husband spend time with me at school on the weekends. :) I can't do that at his job, but I've been there many times.

8. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jun 13, 2013

My husband has been at my job many times- he tends to come in with me on the weekends that I go in. As for his job, I have been to his old jobs numerous times. He just started a new job last month, and I have not seen the inside, only the outside of the warehouse. One day, I'm sure we will get to go inside.

9. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jun 13, 2013

I've been to my husband's job, inside and out (he's military) and he's been into my classroom and met my kids. We have an event at my school called "Real Men Read" and he will come to school in his uniform and read. :)

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 13, 2013

Mine has dropped me off at work a few times but never came inside. I have never been to his job (never had a reason to go and it's quite a distance).

11. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 13, 2013

My husband is at my school at least a few time a year to help me or to attend events. I can't go inside where he works now, because I don't have a top secret security clearance.

12. melnm

melnm Companion

Jun 13, 2013

Yes, my husband has been to all of the schools I've worked in. He has helped me move things numerous times, or just comes to wait for me while I'm working sometimes (when I'm not too long). My daughter goes to the school I work at now and he's given talks/field trips to her class.

He's in law enforcement and has an office in a building and also works from home. My kids and I have been to his office many times.

13. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 13, 2013

My husband has seen all of the schools I have worked in, and I have been inside of his workplace. A few summers ago, I actually did some volunteer work at his workplace.

14. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2013

My husband has been to my classroom, but I haven't been inside his work. I've been to the outside of the building, but haven't gone in.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 13, 2013

We work for the same district so we've even had events at each other's schools. He has come in on weekends to help me with hanging things. I go to his work every Friday night during football season and I even go work during a few other events.

16. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 13, 2013

I've been in his office numerous times. He's been to my school several times. He's not seen my new room, but I've only been in that room for a little over a month.

17. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jun 13, 2013

Yep, my husband has been in my classroom (mostly to help move things!) and Ive been to his work. He works at a hospital so recently I was there when I had my son. I was also born there, which was probably the last time I was in that hospital :)

18. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2013

I don't think dh was ever at my first school (only there 1 year) but he's been in my school plenty of times for events and to help. I have been to his work lots of times. I used to volunteer there (how we met).

19. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 13, 2013

My hubby has been to my school and seen my classroom.

He's also a teacher and has been at 3 different schools in his district. I went to his first two schools but never the one he's been at for the past two years. He's leaving teaching at the end of this year to work for a computer consulting company. As a consultant he'll be at locations for shorter periods of time so I probably won't go to any of them.

20. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2013

BF has been to my school a few times. I've never been to his work. It would be a lot less about dropping by to see him and more about putting up with his boss.

21. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jun 13, 2013

Yes and Yes. My husband works at a factory, and I worked there as a "student summer employee" two summers in a row in college. That's how we met--so I've not only seen his work--I've worked there! He has seen the outside of my school where I currently work. Before I started my internship (in August) he always came into my workplaces since they were accessible to the public (banks). He'd come in and hang out whenever he was off and I was working, bring me lunch, etc.

22. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 13, 2013

My husband has been outside my school but never inside. However, I've only been there a year. He doesn't really have a workplace for me to visit since he works in construction and is in different places every few weeks or months.

23. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 13, 2013

Numerous times.
    My husband has been to my school and in my classroom for various reasons. I've been to his office several times.

24. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2013

I should clarify that while I've been to his place of employment many, many times, I've never actually been fully inside as it's forbidden. Security is tight. He could get fired for just taking a picture with his cell phone from inside. A little over the top...

25. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 14, 2013

Yep-dh has been to all of my classrooms many times. My new classroom will be in his old elementary school, so he spent 6 years in it!

Dh works in advertising, which means really late nights sometimes. Before ds was born, I would hang out with him until he finished for the night. His new agency is much better with not having late nights, but sometimes I'll still pick him up after work and when I do I always go in and meet him at his desk.

It's always been really important to us to be a part of each other's workplace families. The tech start-up I'm leaving right now considers him a part of the 'family', and he's volunteered at our work events. I've put together gift baskets for his clients and brought food for his lunch potlucks. I think it adds to job security, because our employers realize we are more than just an employee-we have a family to support. ;)

26. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2013

My hoosband regularly helps me in my classroom. He also comes to school and has lunch with me sometimes. :wub:

I haven't ever been to his workplace.

27. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 14, 2013

I've been to my wife's school many times, even subbing there once. She's also been a sub at both of my schools.

Jem! It's been a while!

28. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 14, 2013

I know, monsieurteacher!!!

It is just so awesome to see all my old friends here. I saw the shoe post by Ms. I and felt like I had time warped back 2 years. ;) I'm so, so glad to be back.

I'm sad to hear that Alice hasn't been on since Sandy. Is she ok? Is she just focusing on re-building? I think about her often.

29. monsieurteacher

Jun 14, 2013

Alice and family made it through Sandy and are fine as far as I know. I think it's a matter of priorities.

30. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 14, 2013

Will you be back in the classroom next year, Jem?

How is the little one?

31. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2013

I'll pm you...Alice is well...it is a matter of priorities...devastation in your neighborhood tends to do that even though Alice always had her priorities straight!

32. chrissy1214phx

chrissy1214phx Rookie

Jun 14, 2013

monsieurteacher, did you change your name?

33. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2013

My husband comes to meet my new class each year and the kids are always excited to meet Mr. E. He also helps to hang things in my class as he is taller that I am. I have been to his job many times, to pick him up or with him if he stops there. I haven't been on the yard since special clothing, hard hats, and steel-toe boots are required in that area.

34. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 14, 2013

My bf helps me set up my room every year. Huuuuuuge help!!!

My dad (who's retired) often helps if I need him, too. My mom is also a teacher, but she usually attends Open House since it's in the evening.

35. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 15, 2013

Jem, glad to see you back!

36. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2013

Welcome back, Jem!

My fiance (yay-that's the first time I've typed that!) saw my classroom on one of our first dates. I had left a songbook there that I needed for church in the morning, and we were out that way so we stopped in quickly. He has seen it one or two other times, but always on the weekends.

I've been to his office at church a couple times, and to his church for several different events. Also, he lives right next to it, so we've had to stop in his office to grab something a few times.

37. monsieurteacher

Jun 17, 2013

Yes, I did chrissy... I started out as dfleming, then went to halfateacher when I was doing a half-time job, then switched to monsieurteacher when I took a French job. I like to keep things fresh :lol: