Has this ever happened to you??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by **Mrs.A**, Aug 12, 2009.

1. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Aug 12, 2009

I'm introducing centers to my students this week and today I was teaching them how to play Boggle (word study center)..Anyway, I have the tray of letters under my document camera and I'm writing the words down as the kids find them.. I just happened to glance to the back of the room and there sits my principal in one of the student desks..:eek: She snuck into my room and I didn't even see her...Who knows how long she was sitting there!! Luckily, the kids were engaged and on task..

3. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 12, 2009

Oh yes, she liked to do that all of the time :lol

One time I was having kids move books for me! WHOOPS!

4. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2009

Almost everyday. They both come in at some point during the day. Sometimes I see them, sometimes I don't. Haven't been caught yet doing something I shouldn't, although P annoyed me last Friday. I was helping the kids set up their notebooks, and one student didn't have any dividers. I was looking in the bags of things students had brought in that were piled in the back to see if a parent had donated any. He came in behind me and asked me if the kids were having extra recess. NO! GRRRRR..... I just gave him a dirty look and said, "Why don't you look for some more dividers for so and so?" and walked away. Went back to the kid and said, "Mr. D. is going to find some for you." and then went back to helping.

He knew I was annoyed and didn't say anything else to me, either then or later. Never did find any dividers.

5. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2009

Sometimes we do have to remind our administration that we are not robots who are on all the time. Life happens in the course of a school day. He should have understood. That's just ridiculous. Glad you put him in his place. I'm lucky that our principal respects our professional judgement and NEVER questions what we are doing. AND>>>>she doesn't just walk in a bug us. Our observations are planned. If she does stop by, it's usually to bring me some goodies for the classroom or to give the class a compliment!

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 12, 2009

I have social anxiety disorder, and three years ago when my current principal came, I used to literally turn green whenever she stepped into my room. She pulled me aside once and said, "You don't have to worry about when I come through the room. Just be yourself- act natural. You don't have to stiffen up."

One year later, she said, "Now I come into the room and you don't notice." Humorous. :) Last year, I adjusted to it fine, and I bet this year, it'll be fine as well. I am an insecure person (though it doesn't show here necessarily because I post to oblivion)- and at times I wonder if I am exerting my absolute best or not.

I remember one time last year, though, when THREE people came into my room at the same time. I had to have turned green, and I was facing the class. Luckily, I was having a mini-lesson with partner discussion that amazed the trio. But still- I was toiling over how my students were conversing in their partnerships. Perhaps I don't need to worry as much as I do...

7. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2009

Last year we had an accreditation site-visit team at our school for a few days, so we had people popping in and out constantly. Sometimes they would circulate (if the kids were doing group work, etc.) and ask questions. This was in February, when everybody is REALLY ready for a break. I almost died when I heard her ask that a boy (you know, that one kid every class has that you just don't click with), "So, how do you like your teacher?" I couldn't hear his response, and still wonder what he said...

8. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 12, 2009

It's amazing but I still get nervous when they come into my room even after 20 something years!

9. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 12, 2009

That does not feel good to hear you say that! My P has snuck in on me a number of times. I hate it!!

10. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Aug 12, 2009

Kind of OT but that story did not go where I thought it was going! I thought that maybe a bad word was hidden in the boggle or something. :whistle:

11. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Aug 13, 2009

One of my former principals would not only pop in unannounced, she would then sit down next to the kids and ask them questions. "What are working on?" "Why are you doing that?" "What are you learning from that?" She had some pretty specific answers she was looking for and she would definitely have been coming to see me later if she didn't get the answers she wanted.

12. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 13, 2009

we have both a surprise observation and a couple scheduled ones. I fret over all of them, but our P is so great and understanding that it always turns out okay. I just over analyze everything she says, and worry for days what she "really" thinks about my teaching style. I guess it just goes with the territory.

13. multilingual

multilingual Rookie

Aug 13, 2009

I used to be a school principal and usually I would pop in like the principal did and be quiet because I didn't want to interrupt the class. I just really liked being in the classroom and seeing the children learning. I considered myself an instructional leader and mentor to teachers, so I would just go in to see if any of the teachers needed anything, or needed me to model anything. I would go in so often that there would be times when I would notice that certain teachers weren't at their best, and it was no big deal because I knew that they usually were at the top of their game. But then again, I might have been a very different type of principal because I have heard horror stories from other people, and I eventually left so that I could work with teachers in staff development.

14. NJTeacher82

NJTeacher82 Rookie

Aug 13, 2009

In one school I was teaching at for 3 years, my P did not show up in my room once..unless it was to observe me, which was scheduled. I think its great for P's to come in..it shows they are active in the school.

15. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2009

My principal also usually comes in several times a week, 99% of the time during the morning. Yesterday I was modeling centers... I really felt like I was doing the wrong thing, but it needed to be done (I am sure it was fine).

16. natelukesmom

natelukesmom Companion

Aug 13, 2009

I think it is good for principals to be actively involved and see what is going on in the classroom. I've never had any issues with a principal coming in my room. Then again, I just tell myself to be confident, and know that I'm a good teacher. It helps to tell yourself that. I can't say I don't get butterflies...sometimes I do...but it has always gone well for me luckily. :) However, this year we have a brand new principal, so it will be interesting to see how often she comes in/out.

17. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2009

My P forgets to come on scheduled visits, then when she does, I don't get the required feedback until after the last day of school. The A.P. was more on the ball and would come in with her little PDA and start documenting right away. She asks my students questions and wants to make sure they know why they are doing a certain lesson and what they're goals are.

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2009

I wish my principal would spend more time going into classes so that she would really know what was going on. I would welcome her any time.

19. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 13, 2009

I notice when my Principal or VP walks in because I always teach with the door closed (in fact have been told at a different school in the same county that we HAD to teach with the door closed for fire code) and they usually go to the back of the room, while I'm at the front of the room at the board. I think I didn't notice once when I was in the middle of group work and was wondering the room and the kids were kinda loud...Luckily the Principal understands that group work=communication=sometimes noisy :) Apparantely I teach different when I notice her....she told me at my eval. that I need to relax more......I am on a roll and doing great and suddenly get flustered when one thing doesn't go right (someone walks in or I misplace a paper or something).

20. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Aug 13, 2009

Hey-after 32 years, it still makes me nervous to look up and see my principal sitting there. She also asks the children what they are working on and why they are learning it. I don't know why, but I always feel like I am not doing things "right" in her eyes. And we never receive feedback unless it is a formal observation.

21. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Aug 13, 2009

Last year, my class was doing a Daily Gram silently at their desks while I was on my cell phone with my SO getting his credit card info so I could put money on his fast pass account because he was stuck in traffic on the freeway and was going to be late for an important meeting. P came in with a guest (Principal for the Day). I was mortified.

22. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 13, 2009

haha. I had the same thought!

The P at my school pops into our rooms frequently. It used to drive me nuts. Now it only makes me nuts if she brings a note pad with her!

23. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Aug 13, 2009

That is a concerned principal who really wants to know what is going on in his school. I hope he uses the observations wisely to praise the teachers on things he sees going well, as well as make suggestions, in a helpful way, that might improve instructions for both students and teachers.

24. MissMaurie

MissMaurie Companion

Aug 13, 2009

My classroom door used to squeak when it was opened so I always knew who was coming and going. One day I decided to grease the hinges. Worked like a charm. Except I would look up to find my principal wandering around my room. So I hung a lovely bell on my door handle so I would always know when "students" left or entered the room.

25. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2009

I have jingle bells on my door, also! I'll bet we start a trend here.

Not only do the P and AP come in everyday, but we have to do peer visits all the time. Teachers walk in, observe, and leave every week. People from Central Office stroll around also. I've had three parents swing by, and two of them were just checking on their kids because the two kids had been misbehaving. They didn't need to speak to me; they just sat in the back of the class and observed their darlings.

The kids are very very used to it and don't skip a beat. Me? I could care less, now.

26. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2009

I keep my door open 99% of the time. Maybe I should start closing it:D

Technically, we're supposed to have our doors shut and locked at all times but that's probably one of the few rules I break.

27. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Aug 13, 2009

my P comes in all the time. Mainly it's with a folder of stuff she needs to work on and just wants peace and quiet :D

last year I was working with my kids on a playdough map. I was tired of walking around handing out chunks of playdough (there were like 6 different colors) so I started just tossing hunks to the kids. My assistant superintendent walked in at just the right moment and caught a ball of playdough flying through the air.

He was really great about it-but then he's an awesome Assist. Super.