Has this ever happened to you?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Fordham82, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Fordham82

Fordham82 Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

While I was working yesterday (at an extended school year program) I noticed during lunch that I had two missed calls during the morning. I obviously couldn't answer since I am in a classroom. I called back the number (they didn't leave a message) and get the greeting "Thank you for calling ____ school district"

I press the # to be connected to the HR department and say I just received a call about an hour ago. The secretary tells me that this is the general number and anyone who would have called it shows up as the district #. I explain I know no one in the district, but that I applied so I would assume someone from HR called. She puts me on hold and comes back two minutes later to say no, no one called.

I feel like I missed my chance. I can't think of why else someone would call me from there. I figure I was on a list and they just went to the next person without leaving a message. This was yesterday and they still have not called back. :unsure: Upset.

3. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 11, 2009

I don't blame you for being upset. I am thinking they will try again?
    What happened to me a few months ago is my son, who has profound speech and language issues, answered the phone while I was out. When I came home he told me that some guy from a school called about a job. I couldn't get anymore out of him.
    The man never called back.

4. Fordham82

Fordham82 Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

Why do these things happen?? SO frustrating :)

5. Windy City

Windy City Companion

Aug 11, 2009

How big is the district? If it is smallish, I would go to the HR website, look to see what positions are open and at what schools, and e-mail the principals asking if they called and let them know you are very interested. Certainly nothing bad could come of doing that, and you may get lucky.

6. Fordham82

Fordham82 Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

It's a pretty big district- but the only advertised positions are for bookkeepers and custodians.
    I may e-mail the principals- that's a good idea. Thanks!

7. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 11, 2009

I have had that happen to me as well. My mother actually took a message from someone and then they said that they never called.
    So frustrating.
    I hope you eventually get through!

8. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 11, 2009

That is so frustrating! Why would they not leave a message? grr.

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2009

That is strange that they wouldn't leave a message. I hope you figure it out!

10. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2009

I had a principal not leave me a message. Thank goodness when he called, he called from the school phone, and when I googled it it came back to his school. So I called back. I told the lady who answered the phone that someone had just called me from this number and I know nobody from that school. She put me on hold and the principal came back on the line. I interviewed with him but no offer in fact I am waiting for my phone call saying that I didn't get the job. Oh this was before spring break last year.