Has this ever happened to you?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by SBSTSW, Jun 4, 2017.

1. SBSTSW

SBSTSW New Member

Jun 4, 2017

hello everyone,

I'm new to the board and have a question. I was interviewed for a position that I was referred to by someone who already works at the school. I interviewed with the assistant principal and another staff member whose a part of the hiring committee. I thought the interview went well. I was told by the AP that she had other candidates to interview that day and it would take her a week to make her decision.

I sent a thank you letter the following day. Within 5 minutes I received a response from the other staff member stating it was nice to meet me as well and she's "sure the AP will be in touch with me soon!". It's only been 2 business days since the interview and the AP never responded to my thank you letter. But in my anxious wait, im analyzing the response I received and am wondering if it's a sign I might have the job?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2017

Welcome to the boards!
    Is this your first interview? I would try not to stress and carry on with your regular activities. At this point, it is just a waiting game. If you get more interviews, keep going on them until you get an offer. Good luck.

4. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Jun 4, 2017

In my experience, if anyone from the interview panel responded to a thank you email, I got the job. I've also responded to a candidate who sent me a thank you email for her demo lesson in my classroom and she got the job ( I knew it before I responded).
    This is not always the case I'm sure, but it always has been for me.

SBSTSW likes this.
  5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 4, 2017

Hang in there. It can take a week or more, sometimes, for schools to close their interviews, make the selection, and then slog through the paperwork required to make that verbal offer. Bear in mind that even if / when you get the nod, you would probably still need to go through a background check and possible medical tests (drug screening, TB test, etc).

Stick around! There's a lot of knowledge to be found here.

SBSTSW likes this.
  6. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Jun 4, 2017

Welcome! I would try not to read too much into it. I've had experiences (mainly pre-interview) where I got a response that I read as positive and it didn't pan out to be anything other than courtesy. It's better than nothing certainly, but it also doesn't necessarily mean anything.

7. SBSTSW

SBSTSW New Member

Jun 4, 2017

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I certainly don't want to over think anything and wouldn't take a simple reply as a sign. I was specifically referring to the last sentence where she said she's sure the AP will be in contact with me soon. If the principal wasn't considering me as a candidate then why would she said she's sure rather than I hope or something else. But as you all said I will try and not read too much into it

8. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Jun 4, 2017

Best Advice I was Ever given when it came to interviewing:

Stop trying to analyze and figure out if they liked you or if you got the job. It is impossible to figure out and you will make yourself crazy. I went on at least 25 interviews and heard No at least 10 times and heard nothing multiple times BEFORE I heard You're Hired. So dont get discouraged. I swear Admin and interview panel members go through a special training that teaches them how to be as vague as possible. Look at each interview as practice for the next and keep interviewing until you are told You're hired and given a contract to sign. Good luck

SBSTSW likes this.
  9. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Jun 4, 2017

That's just a token phrase. I would use that phrasing myself were I to write an email in that context, even if I knew the candidate wasn't going to get the job because the equivalent people on our team contact everybody whether or not they get the job. I'm sure they'll be contacted, and that says nothing about the outcome.

10. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2017

I would try not to read anything into it. Decent schools will "be in touch" with everyone, because they'll inform candidates that didn't get the position also. The schools that I have worked in have also had very strict rules around interviews and hiring from HR. There may be a "token phrase" that they're supposed to say to everyone. It sounds like you definitely have a chance at getting the job, but I wouldn't take that response to mean that it's definitely yours. Keep applying and interviewing until you hear for sure.

SBSTSW likes this.
  11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 4, 2017

It's certainly possible, but all of my job offers have been on the spot or the day of the interview. Stay hopeful, but keep sending out applications and interviewing.

12. SBSTSW

SBSTSW New Member

Jun 7, 2017

Just a quick update...
    I got the job:smile:

Rainbowbird, MrsC, greendream and 3 others like this.
  13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 7, 2017

HAPPY DANCE!
    [​IMG]

phillyteacher and SBSTSW like this.
  14. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Jun 7, 2017

Lol, that gif is such a gift for the end of the school year. Congrats on the job!