Has this ever happened to you? Or have you done this?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by hbcaligirl1985, Nov 29, 2012.

1. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Nov 29, 2012

Today I got a call from the woman I am subbing for tomorrow. I have no idea how she got my number. I am assuming that teachers on SubFinder can click and find out that information. Or maybe she called the subbing desk to ask.

In any case, she called this afternoon to 1. Thank me for taking her classes and 2. To explain in length what her students would be doing in PE tomorrow.

Now, normally teachers just leave detailed notes and if they have TA's the TA's are also their for backup and guidance. I was not offended by this, but it simply surprised me. Has this happened to you before? After that call I took a nap and had a dream I messed the whole thing up. LOL!

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 29, 2012

The only time I've ever spoken to a sub before a job was if they were in the school the day before. I wouldn't ever make that kind of a call.

4. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Nov 29, 2012

While I haven't had anyone call me, I have had teachers leave their contact info in the Aesop notes section and ask me to call them. :)

5. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Nov 29, 2012

There's a couple teachers that I go in for regularly that will give me a heads up before I get there. I love it. Several of the history teachers will forward me their lectures so I can prep for the class. Those are my favorite days. :)

6. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Nov 29, 2012

I have had teachers call me. Usually it's "Oops, I forgot to leave this out for you, here is where to find it."

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 29, 2012

Some people struggle with putting things on paper so they just speak instead. But, no, I've never done this. I'm a paper person and suck at talking. :)

An entire day's worth of PE plans with different classes would be difficult to remember!

8. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Nov 29, 2012

I once accepted an elementary job on Aesop at around 5:15AM and received a telephone call from her about 30 minutes later so she could give me her plans. I had gone back to bed.

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 29, 2012

I guess the teacher wanted t have a personal connection, which can be nice. Usually you get notes on paper - this way you can put a person's voice to the idea of the teacher.
    No one has ever called at the regular K-8 schools. Where I am now everyone knows me and they know me well. So sometimes they forward me at least the first day or overall plans because they know I like to prep for it.
    It's nice. I definitely prefer things on paper (or in email) because I wouldn't remember anything.

10. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Nov 30, 2012

I once met with the teacher at her home to discuss the day's plans, however it was an extinuating circumstance. I was subbing for the PE teacher (as I had several times before) on Field Day. She was very ill and missed a lot. She had me come to her house to share her thoughts on the day and ideas to plan the day for a K-6 school. :eek: It was ok.

Otherwise, no, I did not typically have contact with the teacher before subbing. As a teacher, I've only talked in depth with my LTS for my maternity leaves.

11. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Dec 1, 2012

I accepted a 3 day sub job for a teacher when I was in the same building. I went and talked to her at the end of the day. By being proactive, I was able to avoid some issues. For example, as we talked, she said she would save a presentation to the desktop. I was not able to access it the next day but was able to get the same presentation from another teacher. If I had not done this, I would have been stuck with nothing to do for a big chunk of time in each class.

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 1, 2012

I'm having a 3 weeks assignment starting Monday. I'm not even getting paid for it, it's considered a regular subbing assignment. It's gonna be a lot of work.
    I could do with just a bunch of notes but the teacher asked to meet with me in person (we were at the same school anyways). She gave me overall what needs to be done, and left me with a lot of freedom to do things as I see fit. She actually simplified a lot of her procedures, and we even changed them because she knows I prefer to do things a certain way. That's so awesome. Of course most of the things are the same, we didn't want to change too many things.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 9, 2012

Can't say it's ever happened in my 10 yrs I used to sub...unless, for the many teachers I personally gave my home phone # to from my sub business cards/flyers/mass emails, but even then I only recall 1 or 2 calling who I already knew. I know my district would NEVER give out personal phone #s.

I wouldn't want it to happen myself ebcause if one teacher calls, then many could call too & I don't want to be bombarded with calls.

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 9, 2012

If the substitute teacher is in the building the day before then I ask them if they have a minute or 2 to touch base. Otherwise I trust that they are professionals and will be able to handle whatever goes on in the classroom.