Has one used Teachers Pay Teachers?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Resentful, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Jan 1, 2013

Basically same question as the title. I have a lot of materials I've made myself over the years and I always get complimented on them. I've heard the story about the Teachers Pay Teacher millionaire, but I wonder how much the average user makes. Has anyone sold there? I'm not looking to hear about buying. I think it would involve a lot scanning, or mailing. So, I don't really want to sign up before I can the low down on them.

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jan 1, 2013

I use BOTH teacherspayteachers and teachersnotebook. While I haven't sold anything on teachersnotebook yet (I've just opened my seller's account and plan to upload to their site this week), I have sold a number of things on tpt. I don't scan anything, and since I only use digital files of my own creation, I don't mail anything, either. I am learning as I go, but with only my few products, I have made money the past two quarters. You are paid quarterly via PayPal, unless you have over $500 in earnings, in which case they send you a paper check. I haven't gotten to that amount, lol.

4. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Jan 1, 2013

How long were you on it before you sold anything? Do you mind telling me how much you made? You can pm me. Thanks. :)

5. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jan 1, 2013

I have one item for sale and have sold about 10 of them, but I was a little disappointed that I earn only 80 cents on a $2 item I sell. TPT takes 90 cents and there's a 30 cent transaction fee...it doesn't take long to download things electronically but you do need to save a file with just part of your item- like a sample- as well as the file you're selling.

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jan 1, 2013

What I make depends on how many files I (as of this moment, I have 18 - I just uploaded 2 more). Like queenie, I was losing a lot of money to TPT, but I just upgraded to a premium membership, and I get a much larger percentage (85%) and have no transaction feels. We'll see if it's worth the investment by this time next year. I just did that, so I really don't know yet. I made over $50 in the first quarter I was selling (July-September), but I think a lot of that was because I have some 1st grade lesson plan templates with drop-down menus that list all of the common core standards, and they are pretty popular. I only made about $27 this past quarter, but I also didn't add a ton of new files. My first quarter of 2013 will be my first as a premium member, so I'm looking forward to the comparison.

Feel free to check out my items at http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Patti-Whatley

7. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Jan 2, 2013

Thanks for the info. It doesn't seem worth it to me and I don't like they take such a high percentage.

8. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jan 2, 2013

There's a ton I don't like about TpT, their transaction fees are only a small part of it. Their "answer" to copyright issues was to charge for their president's own photos she took and then patted themselves on the back for doing so. That move was my breaking point with them. I'll keep uploading my stuff there for free in hopes that people won't waste money there but making $50 a month is not worth selling out to them in my view.

9. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 2, 2013

Wait, what? :confused:

10. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jan 3, 2013

Back in May in the monthly letter Margaret wrote about how some TpT users had received threats from various companies regarding copyright violations. She responded with a half-hearted defense of Fair Use provisions that at least gave me some hope. Then she dropped this (yes, I still have the email saved):

" The truth of the matter is that we must have access to quality images in order to create compelling, kid-friendly products. Purchasing them can be super expensive and getting the required permission is time-consuming. It's a dilemma created by the vanguard nature of our work, but our position as a global cyber community can also be part of the solution.

Several weeks ago I make the short drive from my home to Henry River Mill Village, the North Carolinafilming location for The Hunger Games' District 12. I took dozens of shots, the best of which I will be offering to TpT's Teacher/Authors at a reasonable price for private and commercial use. In making notes for this newsletter, it occurred to me that our group has access to an endless number of interesting locations all over the world. There are those among us who can breeze over and capture an image of Fifth Avenue in New York City or San Francisco's Lombard Street. The Pacific Northwest and Spirit Bear territory are surely close by for one of our own. So are the Grand Canyon, the Florida Everglades, Stonehenge, kangaroos running wild, the breathtaking Canadian wilderness, etc. Teachers vacation in recreational and historic locations. Some have talents in staging compelling still life shots, snapping close-ups of insects at work, or photographing interesting faces. The possibilities are enormous.

If only a few hundred sellers offered original photos with suggestions for use, can you imagine the products we could create?
    "

That statement is ridiculously arrogant and self-serving leaving me with zero interest for being involved with the company. The nonsense of "imagine what we could do!" following the "Ya, I'm going to charge for some random photos I took." is just pure marketing double-speak in my eyes. We've got enough of that in education.

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jan 3, 2013

Rockguykev,
    I understand your frustration with the copyright issues - I have several items I would love to sell, because my students love them AND they improve their skills, but I can't. One such item is a sight word game using Batman and the Joker. Although I used the (ancient) old cartoon versions of the images for my paltry cards, I cannot sell them because it might possibly violate a (probably obscure) copyright.

That being said, you don't have to purchase Margaret's photos. I think she wasn't offering them as a solution - just an idea for something that might grow. I'm not interested, so I won't purchase them. My students are more drawn to clipart images at this point, so it wouldn't help me.

12. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jan 3, 2013

I'm not going to repost the entire email but it is quite clear this was an offered solution. The whole first half of the email sets up all the threats against her users with the implication that she had a solution. Selling a bunch of photos she happened to take while on vacation is not a solution.

I agree an exchange would be wonderful but if I want cheap license-free photos I can use pond5 or one of a dozen other sites out there that don't pretend to do it for the good of education.

I'm as capitalist as they come and if TpT wants to come out and say "hey, we're doing this to make us money and protect you at the same time" more power to them but pretending that TpT exists to help educators and education is just too much of a stretch for me to accept at this point.

13. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 3, 2013

I still don't understand. People were using copyrighted images, so doesn't it make sense to have a community of images that can be bought? a)you are supporting the photographer and b)they are legally acquired so nobody has to worry about lawsuits. I'm not interested in buying the pictures either but I don't really care if someone else does.

I don't think this ruins the whole site. It's still a good idea. :) I use it daily.

14. newteech

newteech Rookie

Jan 5, 2013

This goes against everything teaching should be about IMO. We should share resources with other teachers, right? If your teaching partner asked you for a copy of your excellent science quiz, would you ask them to get out their credit card?

I have never paid for resources from this site or any other site, and never will. There is lots of good stuff out there for free anyway.

15. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 5, 2013

Then use the good free stuff. If I paid for graphics to create a 40 page unit with graphic organizers and assessments, I'd want to sell it too. This is exactly what publishing companies do. Would you rather pay a corporation or a fellow teacher?

People need to get paid for what is creatively theirs. I have always thought that whether we're talking about art, music, or teaching tools. Now appropriate pricing is a whole other discussion....

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 5, 2013

I know someone who made $2000 last quarter on TPT.

17. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 5, 2013

There's not a ton specifically for Special Ed on there, especially middle school. Someday I'm going to create a bunch of stuff to target middle schoolers far below grade level. I can't even find any blogs for people who teach Middle School SPED. Apparently we're a rare breed! :lol: I have a fantasy where I make a bunch of money off this and help other teachers.

18. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jan 5, 2013

Such exchanges already exist as I said and I've happily paid money to them to use their images. I've spent well over $300 on subscriptions to animationfactory and for individual images on pond5. Those sites didn't try to pretend that they were selling to me out of the goodness of their hearts like TpT did.

As far as the corporations vs. teachers argument, I'd gladly give my money directly to teachers but not to TpT which is essentially a corporation. That said, I'm much more on the side of newteech which is why my curriculum is all posted at no cost. Not everyone has to but to pretend that selling your stuff improves the profession as TpT does in my view is just wrong.

19. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jan 5, 2013

I completely agree! It's just the idea that they try and give the impression that what they are all about is helping teachers, but they are making more money from it than the teachers...:(

20. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jan 5, 2013

That's awesome. That means TPT made at least that much as well. :rolleyes:

21. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Jan 5, 2013

It's sort of like when you assign students to work as a group. There's always one who doesn't pull their weight. They know the others will help them or they just don't care if their students don't have great resources like the students of those of us who do work hard and put in extra. Honestly, as some being paid as a sub, but having FULL teaching responsbilities, I feel it's better to get paid than to share. I think it's time in teaching, because supply outweights demand, to say "you don't belong here" and "If you can't put in 110%, you need to BUY materials from those who do".

For many reasons, I won't be joining that site. Now, if there was a site where money could be made and a site wasn't making all that profit, I would join it.

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2013

My friend has the upgraded membership. She'd be making her units and materials anyway and she shares what she creates with her colleagues...
    As a consumer, I'm satisfied with what I've purchased on TPT.its worth it to me to buy a unit for a few dollars ( I recently got a comprehensive, awesome Greek mythology unit for $6... Over 20 pages)I'd rather do that than pay $15-$20 for a resource book at the teacher store that I'll only use a few pages from. As a creative teacher, I share with my colleagues, but I am also intrigued by and supportive of making some money off my creations.
    As in anything, it's best to be an informed consumer. Make the choice that's right for you.:thumb:

23. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 6, 2013

I really like TPT. I've bought some great materials from there. I haven't sold anything but I'd be interested in putting together some stuff over the summer and putting it up.

It's not like anyone is making you use the site. If you don't like it, don't use it!

24. SilverTeach511

SilverTeach511 New Member

Oct 14, 2013

Text book adapted slides

Hi all!

I am a history teacher and I have been making my own slides for my US government class. I arrange the slides sequentially by chapter and use clip art and pictures to illustrate the topics clearly. Can I sell these on TPT or not? Is it copyrighted because I am following the material in the text sequentially or does this count as "fair use"? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 14, 2013

If you're using clip art, check: those may be copyrighted.

26. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Oct 15, 2013

The sequencing surely is not a copyright issue since most books get their sequencing from state standards which are public documents.

As TG said though, the clipart almost certainly is. If you didn't buy a license for it through something like Pond5 then it probably came from someone else who took it from someone else who has a claim on it. I'd argue it is fair use because it is transformational work. TpT, unfortunately, will not support you though if there is even a hint of a claim against it.

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 15, 2013

It's by no means only Teachers Pay Teachers that is tetchy on copyright: an article on Slate details the difficulty that a biographer faces in writing about Shel Silverstein because the estate won't release much of anything and the presses (cowed by letters from lawyers threatening suit, no doubt) tend to operate as though fair use doesn't exist.

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

29. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Oct 15, 2013

Definitely not just them. Youtube isn't much better either. They shoot first and don't ask questions unless you seriously bug them. I just find TpT to be rather self-righteous about it. At least Google isn't hiding that they do so to keep their advertisers happy.