Has Obamacare affected you?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by azure, Aug 2, 2014.

1. azure

azure Companion

Aug 2, 2014

Our HR director recently announced that subs would now be limited to 29 1/2 hrs. per week, so they don't have to offer health ins. When I explained that I already had health ins. through my husband's former employer, he said I would be allowed to work 30+ hrs. per week. Has anyone had experience with this issue for the coming school year?

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2014

It isn't an issue here because subs are outsourced. The company that hires subs offers health insurance.

In my old district in NC, they put a 28 hour cap on all subs. EVEN long-term subs!! :dizzy: Maternity leaves and other leaves are all split between two subs now :dizzy::eek::dizzy:

4. mrsteach

mrsteach Rookie

Aug 5, 2014

I am kind of surprised they are still allowing you to work over 30 hours if they know you don't want their health insurance. One, it sounds like your husband is on COBRA? (since you said former employer) and that does run out. The other reason- exactly what happened to me- is my husband's insurance will no longer allow spouse's to use the husband's insurance as primary insurance if they are eligible to have insurance at their employer.

I was working full time (not teaching), but was on my husband's insurance. I received a letter that if I am eligible for insurance through my employer, I have to take it, or I can't be on my husband's insurance. (I could still use my husband's insurance as secondary). I showed the letter to my employer (who I told I would use my husband's insurance) and I was promptly reduced to under 30 hours a week. Now since I am not eligible for insurance where I work, I can now be on my husband's insurance. (But with a pay cut I wasn't expecting). So yep, it has affected me.

I have applied to sub at a couple districts around here and am going for orientation pretty soon to one district, so I will see if they have that 30 hour limit.

However, I don't know if schools realize this, but the law says that if your hours *average* over 30 hours a week in year, then you have to offer them insurance. With the breaks, holidays, and summer. I think it would be very difficult, if not impossible, for a sub to average over 30 hours a week for year.

5. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Aug 6, 2014

I did not know subs could get health insurance no matter how many hours they worked.
    Many subs work nearly every day in the same district, but do not get insurance.
    Obamacare has helped quite a bit.
    Since subs are low income, I pay about half of what I would otherwise pay.

6. Kelster95

Kelster95 Companion

Aug 6, 2014

In my district subs can only work a set number of days per school year, they previously restricted days per month.

7. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Rookie

Aug 17, 2014

It was, but when I went to orientation back in June they said that the district hadn't put anything into effect yet. So we can still work as much as we want provided the school calls for us.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2014

Para hours in my district have been cut due to obamacare...they used to sign off on not getting healthcare so they could book more hours but that's not allowed anymore...so instead of sped kids having ONE aide every day, they now have multiple support staff assigned to each kid for just a few hours each. Sad. That's just one example. On so many levels.

9. azure

azure Companion

Aug 28, 2014

We are allowed to work as much as we want if we already have insurance from another source. If not, a sub is restricted to 29 1/2 hrs. At least that is what we have been told thus far. Our corp. is not going to provide it to subs.