Has CC changed the way that you teach?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Apr 26, 2014.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2014

CC has changed the way that I teach. I look at everything differently now, especially expository stories and informational text. Since our curriculum is very old, I try to incorporate items, particularly ones that come from the real world, into my lessons as much as I can. Items such as, brochures, posters, charts, menus, directions, recipes, etc. I find these informational examples to be more interesting and relevant to our world today and that bringing them in really enhances my students' learning.

Has CC changed how you teach? Are you using your old curriculum or has your district purchased new materials? I know that overall, it doesn't matter what curriculum you have, but I find that it does.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 26, 2014

I'm not in a CCSS state, but if my state adopted CCSS, I don't think much of what I'm already doing would change.

4. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Apr 26, 2014

I agree with this. I teach math and when, comparing the old standards to the new CCS, don't see a lot of radical changes. 2 + 2 will still remain 4. The square of the hypotenuse will still remain equal to the sum of the legs squared. etc.I don't believe math has changed all that much since Newton (or the other guy, depending on who you believe) invented calculus a few centuries ago

what looks like WILL be tremendously different going forward is the formal assesments - from the traditional "multiple guess" format to more constructed response. That will be a huge change. In two of my courses I have textbooks and materials that will make the transition easier. I teach 4 subject areas. My transition to the new assesments will be gradual and be directly affected by how quickly I receive supporting materials from my district office. this is more or less in line with how the other teachers in my department will handle things.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Apr 26, 2014

My curriculum has changed, but most of my methods have stayed the same. I've taught math CGI style for years, so asking my students to explain why their math works isn't new to me. Our old standards also wanted students to use models in math, so that isn't new either. I use more informational text, but I still do guided reading, lit circles, etc.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 26, 2014

I look at things differently. I'm not teaching books or poems. I'm teaching lifelong skills that go far beyond the texts I use to propel them.

7. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

Apr 26, 2014

yes, I teach second grade--I am loving not testing this year. I have been really experimenting with more process/project based learning this year, incorporating some ipad research. I am enjoying linking the learning with science and social studies. I am still using my weekly story and spelling words and grammar study etc, just supplementing with more real life application and indepth study of a particular area of study.
    In terms of math, I am also trying to incorporate the new standards into more hands-on projects. Still a work in progress but feeling a bit better about it at this point in the year and not stressing over getting through the math book!
    so yes, I have changed the way I am teaching but feel more freedom to do so without restrictions from curriculum and impending state test!

8. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2014

No, but I teach HS History where there are very few standards and they are quite vague. I've been told I'm supposed to be teaching a non-fiction literature class, Admin even mentioned novel studies, but nothing was done to move this forward.

There is no curriculum, outside of a textbook, for the courses I teach (no other materials, manipulatives, books/readings, videos, etc. are provided outside of the textbook).

9. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2014

Absolutely. It has finally let me do full time what I've had to squeeze in between pointless trivia in past years. I actually get to teach history now instead of whatever the textbook decided I should teach.

I love that instead of being centered around memorization of facts I can organize my curriculum around questions. Kids actually get to read, analyze and interpret as they should have be doing all along.

10. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2014

It really hasn't changed the way I teach or the way I question students, but it has made me look much more closely at what materials I use. My textbooks are 15 years old, my novel sets are close to 30 years old. I've been pulling so much more from the internet to close the gaps.

11. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Apr 27, 2014

What sites are you frequenting? I like Edhelper, sometimes, and Readworks. The have the questions and writing component also. But I am always looking for more sites to add to my collection.

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2014

It's great to "hear" this. We are moving to CCSS, and, from what I have seen of the standards, it does seem as though it allows more exploratory and inquiry approaches. I am excited that my school is transitioning to CCSS.

13. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 29, 2014

Well I became a teacher at the onset of Common Core, so I'm changing things anyway because I'm a newer teacher, but it has made me a lot more mindful this year about how I teach and to use more tasks that require critical thinking and evidence based claims. I really like it.