Has being a teacher ever saved you from getting a ticket?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Linguist92021, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 2, 2012

I was just wondering if what has been happening to me is common?

About a year ago:
    I was subbing at one of the community school. This was a 1 classroom site, pretty much for the same students who I have had in the lock up - they have either been locked up, and got locked up later, kicked out of school, etc. They were pretty hard to handle. So I was speeding down on a city street at 7:30 am - no cars around. I did that every day for a week or so. Cop pulls me over, asks all the typical questions (dl, reg, ins, do I know why he pulled me over, where am I going).
    When he heard the school's name + location, his whole attitude changed, and said "well, you know you were speeding and you were not supposed to. And you won't do it again, right? and he let me go.
    I couldn't believe it. I guess he had been called to that place quite a few times, and was thankful for anyone actually willing to go and teach there.

This year, in May: same situation, but I was coming off o the freeway and didn't stop at the stop sign. Same questions, same everything, and when he heard that I was going to the lock up, could see the look in his eyes changed. Let me go without anything.

Today: same place, same cop. I did stop at the stop sign, and waited a couple of seconds because I saw him. Pulled me over, said that I didn't stop at the line. Well, I couldn't find my driver's license, thought it was in my purse, but it wasn't. didn't renew my registration, so it expired 6 weeks ago (Ive been just putting it off, which is dumb, because I have the money and now I have a $69 late fee). I have insurance, but I never bother to put the new card in the car.
    So I had nothing to give him except last year's registration, my name and DOB. Tried to remember my DL number, but I was 1 digit short. He checked everything, registration came back expired "I sent a check" He said well, 'checks can take a while".
    I know he remembered me, but asked me where I was going, etc.
    He let me go without any tickets. He said he was contemplating whether he should give me a warning. My answer "pleeeeaase".

It was funny. I have ALWAYS gotten tickets, the cops were always so short and almost rude with me, so I was always short with them, so I was never able to sweet talk them. But ever since they ask where I'm going, and they find out I teach, and especially where I teach, everything changes.

Is this common? Or Ive been just very lucky?

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 2, 2012

That happened to me once. It was around 6:30am and a cop pulled me over not for speeding but said I went too fast coming from a red light. I think that's what he said although I know a bunch of cars were passing me. Anyway, he asked me where I was going and I said work. I don't know why but I showed him my ID badge. His eyes opened wide and he said OHHH ok...well, be more careful next time. I worked at difficult school so he probably didn't want to mess with me :whistle:

4. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Aug 2, 2012

Yes! I have! It was many years ago, around 1:30 at night on the freeway. The freeway was under construction and he apparently had his lights on for awhile (I didn't notice). His demeanor cometely changed when he heard I was in education and congratulated me for having such a respectful job. He gave me a warning and drove away.
    The whole thing was bizarre but I was thankful!

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2012

Yes! In fact the officer that pulled me over had a daughter in my class!

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 2, 2012

Happened to me on my first day last year. I was heading to retreat, my first official day that I had to report. I so thought I was going to be late so was going about 15 over the speed limit. A sheriff pulled me over and asked all the usual questions. I told him it was my first day of work and I thought I was going to be late. He asked where I worked and I told him. Then he said he was going to let me off with a warning and told me to have a great school year.

Two funniest parts of the story:
    1. Even with getting stopped, I was still 10 minutes early. I overestimated how long it took to get there!
    2. Two years ago I got pulled over by a state patrol in a different area but going to the exact same over in the exact same speed limit and he didn't ask any questions, just gave me a ticket.

I'll be forever grateful to that sheriff though and I hope he somehow knows it :)

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2012

Yup...last year on my way to school...the police officer said 'drive carefully, those kids need you':):cool:

8. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2012

Yup! I got pulled over for speeding through a school zone!:unsure: I didn't know it was there, I promise. It was one of those school zones that's like 15 yards wide.

Anyways, I was wearing my letterman jacket and he asks if I was heading to my university. I said "no I teach at ___ school" He says okay and takes my info back to his car. He comes back and basically says "I usually let teachers off because they fight battles every day and I know ___ school is especially hard so I'm going to let you go."

PHEW!!! That would have been a crazy ticket! And I never sped through there again.;)

9. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Aug 2, 2012

Yes! last year I had taken a day off for some appointments I had. Around 3:00 I decided to go back to work for the weekly meeting. So I'm driving and I get to the school zone for my school and I just keep driving 40mph when the school zone was 20mph. She stopped me as I was turning into the school. She thought I was going to pick up a kid at the school. I told her I taught there so I never actually drive while there's a School zone going on because I get there before it starts and I leave after. It seriously didn't even dawn on me that it was a school zone! I was just driving listening to my music! Lol. She let me off with a warning!

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2012

Nope. I've been pulled over three times now in my 12 years of driving experience.

All three times I was given a ticket. I'm a cute girl and a teacher!!! Sigh, those two things didn't help me. Poo.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2012

I haven't pulled over since I was 16.

I can't imagine being let go because of my profession though.

12. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 2, 2012

Yup! I was pulled over for speeding and my car was uninspected (bad, I know, but I couldn't afford the $700 part...)

I started to cry because our superintendent was visiting that day and I started rambling :blush: Mostly I was crying from frustration, though. I had honestly scoured the area for a mechanic that could get the computer part that was causing my engine light to come on and fail inspection.

He let me go! :)

13. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2012

Just got pulled over last month for speeding, and the cop was like, "Do you know how fast you were driving?" I had to bite my tongue from saying, "Well! You're the one who stopped me for speeding, SO why don't you tell me Sir?" I told him that I was going about 65, which is the speed limit. He said that I was clocked going 80. He then continued, "Where do you work?" I told him at the Preschool just down the road." (Meanwhile I had "Easy Like Sunday Morning" playing. I think it was the music that did it.)He took my license, and registration papers, came back and said, "You know you can kill a deer going that fast, in the dark." My response, "Oh! I never thought about the poor deer, and I am sorry officer." (I was trying not to laugh.) He continued, "Well! Next time call someone if you are running late, and drive safely." He let me go.
    In Ca, I talked myself out of a speeding ticket by pulling the low income card. When the cops who stopped me; about 50 yards from the school that I taught at, asked me why I was speeding. I said, "You see that low income school? I have the poor children waiting for me, and I am running late." They let me go. They were more curious about the BIG scar that I have on my left arm, and my obnoxious license plate. The first question was about my license plate, and why I have it, and then I was asked about how I got the big scar on my arm. I was so tempted to say something stupid back, BUT I did not want to end up with a ticket.:D I was thinking, "Really? Is this a training session for this lady officer? Are these routine questions, considering the area where the school was is not the best side of town? Can I tell her that it was none of her business that I had the license plate that I had. It was more money for the state, each year so she should be thankful and that the scar on my arm was from a fight with someone that was asking stupid questions like she was asking?":whistle:
    Rebel1

14. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2012

I did get let go with a warning once on my way to student teaching, but I don't know if that's why I didn't get a ticket. My husband has been let off from tickets if they see his military ID when he gets his wallet out. It's happened at least twice to him.

15. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Aug 2, 2012

Nope, but being married to a cop has gotten me out of them. ;) I have never, and would never, pull that card. They've always made the connection on their own. When I was pregnant I got pulled over for speeding because I had to pee REALLY bad. :lol:

Beth

16. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2012

30 years ago, having a military ID might very well have gotten you an extra charge or two tacked on to the ticket.

17. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 3, 2012

Never used the "teacher card," but I plan to use it the next time I get pulled over! :p

18. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 3, 2012

Well, its not like I'm trying to 'pull the teacher card". I would never bring it up, because I don't think it would make a difference, it always came up when they asked where I was going, and I was going to school.
    If they pulled me over at night, I wouldn't be bringing it up, because it would sound weird, like I am trying to use it, and most likely it wouldn't even work.

19. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Aug 3, 2012

:rofl:

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2012

Man, he could have had you on so many things...very fortunate! :)

I have been pulled over once and it was in a school zone...which was ridiculous because it was no longer a school. I got the ticket because our small town cops are for the most part shady as heck. Fact: they will ask for sexual favors in order to let you go. Yeah, nice.

21. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 3, 2012

I got stopped a few weeks ago for making a right turn on red
    (legal in Ohio at most lights). When the officer talked to me, he reminded me that it was 2:00 pm and the sign at the light said "No right turn on red 8-3 on school days" - I respectfully asked him if that was intended to mean every Monday-through Friday. Not a school day (yet!), so no ticket.

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 3, 2012

The very few times I've been stopped, my job or where I'm going is never asked by them. One time back when I was student teaching, it was the second to last day of that term & I was on my way to the school as usual. That day was a field trip to a university with my 6th gr class & I got stopped by a cop. I guess back then, I could have talked/pleaded that I'm on my way to school now & we have a field trip, but the topic never came up. I think that was the last (of just a few tickets) I ever got.

23. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2012

I have never been stopped on my way to work but I have often wondered what would happen if I said I taught and had kids waiting for me. But I wouldn't try to get out of a speeding ticket - I am sure I would totally deserve it. But I would be concerned about it making me late for work.

24. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2012

I have never been pulled over or received a ticket, so I don't know if that would work for me or not. (and I prefer not to find out).

But, I think I would be afraid to drive around you :hugs:

25. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 3, 2012

This spring I was over the speed limit in the town I teach in. I was pulled over and did not recognize the young officer. Upon reading my license he says "How are you doing Mrs. H?". I looked at his name badge and realized it was a former student. We talked a little and then he told me to just watch my speed. I guess teaching for 25 years in the same district worked.

26. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 3, 2012

Too funny!

27. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2012

We still have DARE in my school so I know at least 4 of the local officers. I hope that if I ever get pulled over, it'll be one of those officers. I think police really respect what we do because they interact with the kids hanging out downtown.

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2012

I didnt wait for the topic to come up...I haven't gotten many tickets in my life, but I have always tried to talk my way out of them...and a few times it worked!:whistle:

29. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Aug 3, 2012

I've only been stopped once, and it was on my way to my first day of fieldwork. I was approaching a traffic light, and the line of cars came back past where the right turning lane starts, so instead of waiting for the line to move up when the light turns green and then getting into the turning lane, I just drove around the cars and got into the turning lane. The car behind me does the same thing. I turn on to the next road, and the lights came on.

Of course he asked where I was going, and I told him it was my first day doing fieldwork at the local HS. So it could have either been that, or the fact that I have a squeaky clean record, or that my offense wasn't too bad.

I concur with the person who says they hate when cops ask you why they pulled you over. I don't know, you're the one who pulled me over. You tell me!

30. alioxenfree

alioxenfree Rookie

Aug 3, 2012

I did get out of a speeding ticket once because I am a teacher. I usually talk a good talk about how I'm going to get out of a ticket but I always chicken out, suck it up, and take my ticket. But on this day, I had just finished my first or second day of my only year teaching kindergarten. I had 35 students in the morning and 30 in the afternoon. As I was giving the Officer my license and registration, I said "Officer, please have mercy on me! I have been locked in a room with 60 5-year olds ALL day!" It wasn't planned, the words just came out of my mouth, and I'm sure I looked crazy! He said he would let me go with a warning this time, but that means I'm making it harder on the next person. He even cracked a smile. I thanked him and went on my merry way.