Has Anyone...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teach57, Sep 6, 2007.

1. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Sep 6, 2007

Has anyone received a teaching position directly related to subbing either day-to-day or long-term? I'm just curious...

3. IloveKinder

IloveKinder Rookie

Sep 6, 2007

I long term subbed at a school last spring starting in March. I knew that the teacher was not going to come back the next year so I figured I had a good chance to get her job this fall. To my surprise she decided not to come back in the spring too so I finished out the year as a long term sub...never brought on staff. Positions were starting to post for the school in May (I applied for them/mine wasn't posted yet) and one day I walked into the office and interviews were being conducted. I wasn't asked for ANYTHING!!! When I asked why I wasn't they gave me lame excuse about classroom management (which is what they told two other teachers in the same boat there). NOT HAPPY!! Then I interviewed there a few weeks ago and they hired a male over me. By the way did I mention that this is the school district I attended K-12??? Still jobless...

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2007

This is going back a few years, but...
    after being a SAHM for 10 years I returned to teaching by doing day-to-day supply teaching at my children's school. The principal there recommended me for a long-term position (3 months) at another school. I then was asked back for a 9-month position for the following year. The vice-principal of that school recommended me to another principal for a permanent contract position. I know it doesn't always happen this way, but it did for me.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2007

ILoveKinder, I had a similar situation. I student taught at the district that I had attended K-12. I graduated in December so was not expecting to get a job then so I started subbing in the district. I applied in December and then again in May when I knew there were certain positions available. No calls!! I ended up taking a job in another district. The district I wanted called at the end of July. I applied again when the school year was over...never got a call!! I guess that it doesn't matter if you went to school there or not.

6. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Sep 6, 2007

These stories are all to familiar to me. I'm so nervous that I'm taking a step backwards subbing this year after I had a half-year 4th grade position. I just want my own classroom full of students to teach and inspire. I just wish I knew how to get a job like so many people around me. I don't know if subbing will do it.

7. smalltowngal

Sep 6, 2007

teach57, I feel your pain. All my teacher friends have started school. Some of them don't live close by, but have emailed me asking how the first week went. It's discouraging to email them back and tell them I don't have a job. I'm hoping that by subbing in a couple of districts around here that will lead to a position next year.

8. Christinak6

Christinak6 Rookie

Sep 7, 2007

For some people subbing is a little blessing. You'll always hear one person who got a FT positions out of it. On the other hand, you'll hear a story about the person who subs and never gets a FT position. That second story would be the story of my life, but I'm NOT going to let that get to me.

I came to the realization that I'm going to have to work my way up to get the FT position that I want. That means that I'm going to have to get myself in gear and start making those connections. Don't beat yourself up because you don't have your own class yet. Just stay positive!

9. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Sep 9, 2007

Last year I student taught at an elementary school and was offered a long term sub based on my reviews from my cooperating teachers. My LTS was from February to the end the year. My principal really wanted to hire me, but there were no open positions. The principal then took a job at our middle school, which caused some sifting in the district. That sifting caused a third grade teacher to leave the school where I student taught and was a LTS. The new principal talked to our former principal about potential candidates and he stressed to him that I would be a seemless addition to the staff. He called I interviewed, and got the call that day! So in some situations it does work!

10. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2007

I left a district that was only giving out one year only contracts and started subbing in a small district just north of me. Every year I had to apply and interivew. Did that for 4 years. Even at the same school, there really wasn't any loyalty because the principals were encouraged to seek outside their school for new meat. I started subbing in January and became a regular at the best school ever. They told me of openings, I interviewed twice and got a job by July.

On the first interview, I lost out to a veteran teacher (20+ years) from the same district I left!! She was on the second interview committee the next month that hired me. I'm so thankful because the first interview was for 5th grade and I got first. I like the youngens.

11. annafish

annafish Companion

Sep 9, 2007

Yes, I did daily subbing in a district, then the next year was a long term for the entire year, then this year hired perm. It does happen. If principals hear about a great sub who has worked a lot in their building, that name will pop out to them. It also helps give you ideas of how you want to set up your future classroom!

12. sdk

sdk Rookie

Sep 9, 2007

Wow! I am gettng worried about finding a job. I live in the DFW area. I know I am getting off to a late start, but I figured I would sub if I had too. I thought that would get my foot in the door. Looks like that might not be such a good idea.
    I also just took the Teacher InSight test. Not sure how that is going to pan out either!

13. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Sep 9, 2007

I've subbed a few times this year and one of the teachers I was talking to said that she subbed all last year and it really helped her with her classroom management. I'm hoping I will get something out of subbing this year like this and maybe some ideas AND A PERMANENT JOB!

14. cmw

cmw Groupie

Sep 9, 2007

I think it really is a matter of making those positive connections with staff and administration. I thought I had a real shot at a school that I had worked with for 2 years while in college. The principal did not even remember me. While I did a great job with the program I worked with, I did not connect with him!
    Good news - My disctrict hired 3 LTS this year for teaching positions. Bad news - they subbed for like 3 years before getting this opportunity.
    With all the budget cuts happening you gotta think at how many qualified applicants the admin. gets for every position. You need to make sure you stand out and so does your resume and cover letter.
    Good Luck!:2up:

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2007

I just remembered something else--almost every new staff member hired at my school in the past 3 years (we are going into our 5th year and are growing rapidly) has been a long term supply teacher in our school first. They were offered permanent positions because of their excellent teaching practice, their willingness to take initiative, and their skill at working as a member of the team. When we need a long-term position filled, the first place we look is our day-to-day supply list--who does a great job, is flexible, is prompt, shows initiative to help out however they can around the school?

16. smalltowngal

Sep 10, 2007

This gives me hope!! I have heard that about the district that I live in. We have our sub orientation tomorrow so I'm excited about finding out how this district works its sub. I'm very flexible (unless child gets sick), and I think being on a team is better than being alone.

17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2007

in house disciplinarian

I was a sub, and the principal approached me with this offer. Sounded good to me. it was a pre-k to 5 building. already been in every room, ok...why not.

well, she still wanted me to sub...and I don't remember getting benefits!

My room was the dumping ground. some teachers did not send work, or sent work and no books, or no dictionaries, or did not even explain work. mainly they just got rid of them for everything. missing a belt or button on shirt...uniform violation! wearing gym shoes. etc. I know we had a clothing closet from PTA...so they could have gone down and tried on some extra shoes, found a shirt, and a belt!

some got dumped for not paying field trip fee. that was really unfair. they should have been sent to a neighboring teaching. I know the entire 4th grade didn't go! And they were so hurt and mad because they couldn't have gym, art, music or recess!

afterawhile..I felt sorry for them. I actually taught lessons, read stories, and we ate lunch together. of course, when people walked by, nobody could tell we would having fun.

then I heard the lunch aide was quitting. and you know what happened next! the principal said I could do that too! I said what?! you want me to be a sub, discplinarian, AND lunch aide? all for 11 bucks an hour?? I know somebody had a union or state retirement money in one of those jobs!! she claimed I wasn't doing anything half the day..when nobody was in my room! actually, the pre-k teacher said those same words to me! Hmmm so you know how that came about!

my point was, how do you expect these kids to have respect for me if I have to go thru the lunchroom and get ravoli throwned at me while pushing the garbage pail! No way! I will be a crossing guard before I go back to being a lunch lady!

so, I refused, and she got ticked, and two weeks later fired me. I think back, would I have been better off just subbing?? I don't know. I think it was a chance I had to take.

18. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Sep 21, 2007

I haven't gotten a job related to subbing, but that could just be the area I am in.