Has anyone used Time for Kids?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by aThriftyTeacher, Jul 27, 2010.

1. aThriftyTeacher

aThriftyTeacher Rookie

Jul 27, 2010

I'm thinking about getting Time for Kids for my 1st graders this year. Has anyone ever used it in their class? How'd you like it?

3. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 27, 2010

I have used it in 2nd grade. I always thought it was too high for even the typical on-level student. I think the one for 2nd grade was for both 2/3rd grades which may be why. I have not seen the one below 2nd to see if it was the same. They do have very current topics. I would recommend Scholastic News. I switched to that and really like it.

4. NewNCTeach

NewNCTeach Rookie

Jul 27, 2010

I have also used "Time For Kids" with my second grade students. I used it as a center for kids to work on independently. Most of my kids could complete it fine, but my lower ones struggled with it. With that being said, I do believe we are getting them again this year to use. I like them and the kids liked them.

5. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 27, 2010

I've used Time for Kids in both 2nd and 3rd grade. For the 2nd graders it always had to be read aloud due to any low level readers in the room. It was more appropriate for 3rd graders. I have switched to Weekly Reader and can assign the reading independently. I would contact Time for Kids and ask for samples before making your decision.

6. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 27, 2010

I used it in middle school and really liked it. My students were low level readers and I primarily used the science articles.

7. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2010

I have used it with my kids and they LOVED it!

8. aThriftyTeacher

aThriftyTeacher Rookie

Jul 29, 2010

Thanks for all the feedback! I think I'm going to do Scholastic News and Time for Kids and go back and forth every other week.