Has anyone used the Waxler cover letter?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mykids1, Aug 9, 2009.

1. mykids1

mykids1 Rookie

Aug 9, 2009

Would it really stand out? Or do districts like the conventional cover letter?

3. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Aug 9, 2009

I have modified my cover letter to include some of the tips that Waxler recommends. However, I have not been given an interview based on anything I have submitted to P's. I don't know if my letter would stand out if the market wasn't so flooded or not. But, I don't think it hurts :)

4. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 9, 2009

about halfway through summer i switched to a waxler type letter. i havent received any interviews before or after. i didnt however send many of the new letters out because there have been very few openings for the last month.

5. MathManTim

MathManTim Companion

Aug 9, 2009

In my humble opinion, the format of the Waxler cover letter reminds me too much of those ads that try to get me to buy into the latest internet moneymaking scheme. I did use bullet points and very dynamic, proactive language, though, like he recommended. I just didn't start the letter with something like:

What would you do if you learned

America's Next Greatest Math Teacher Wants to Teach in Your District!!!

G-minus 7 days, 20 hours

MathManTim

6. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 9, 2009

yeah i think the importan thing is o take the bits and peices of advice that work for you. for example i would never do the p.s., i think it looks so unfrofessional. the major thing i use of waxler's ideas is bolding the beginning of my paragraphs. i really love me new cover letter more than the old but like i said i havent gotten any bites either way...i do kind of wished i had started using it earlier though.

7. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 9, 2009

I don't even know what this is... If it is like the Math Man described, I think I might get a chuckle if I were on an interview team and not take the person serious.

8. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 9, 2009

Oh, Tim... that's funny!

9. bizzbeth125

bizzbeth125 Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

I think it works.

I applied for countless jobs in the beginning of the year and got NO BITES. I switched to a modified version of this cover letter (three top points why I would be a good candidate at the top and three short statements with the initial sentence bolded) and received calls. I've landed 2 part time education jobs using this cover letter.

Most important thing to do: follow up on your resume a few days to 1 week after you initially submit it. That's how I caught the eyes of both my future employers (I start both new jobs in two weeks! Yay!!).

Good luck everyone!