Has anyone used Read 180 within a resource room?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by waterfall, Feb 16, 2012.

1. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2012

This is the program my P really wants me to look into for my classroom. She ordered some information books from the Read 180 site- I've skimmed through the whole thing and for the life of me can't see how this would be used in a resource room. The research mentions that special education students showed more growth etc. etc. but when you read how the program works, it sounds to me like they're talking about a regular ed classroom. It's a 90 minute "reader's workshop" just like we have in gen ed, and it mentions "whole group instruction, small group differentiated instruction, and independent reading" as rotations in the reader's workshop- again exactly what our gen ed classrooms do. I have groups of no more than 5 students at a time and it's all "differentiated small group" obviously. I wouldn't have a need to have students read independently while I was meeting with other groups, and "whole group" lessons would still be "small group" given the number of students in my classes. Is this program meant for self-contained special ed classes? The only way I could see really being able to implement something like this would be if I had a self-contained class with 12-15 students all day long and I was their main reading teacher. My students must go to the entire gen ed 90 minute literacy block, and I really can't take them for a reading lesson more than 40 minutes a day (for most, it's more like 30). Has anyone used this in resource and how did you do it?

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Feb 16, 2012

I tutor a dyslexic student who does Read 180 in his school. He's in the 7th grade and apparently he does well with it. He says he does independent work for a certain amount of time, computer work for a certain amount of time and he reads for a certain amount of time.

4. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Feb 16, 2012

This is how I have seen it done as well.

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2012

Is this in a separate classroom, or something he does in his gen ed room? We do our service hours monthly and for kids on reading IEPs I typically see them for about 8-10 hours of month in a small group or 1:1. In order to implement this program, I'd have to go up to 28 hours a month just for reading, and that would put the students right at 80% in gen ed and 20% with me, which is the absolute most I can pull them out of gen ed. Many of them have math hours as well, so I'm not sure how I would fit that in. Not to mention that in order to spend 90 minutes on a single reading lesson, I'd have to group kids together with other grade levels, so rather than having their group of 3-5 students on their same reading level, they'd have a group of at least ten students on various reading levels. I'm just still not seeing how this would be done in a resource setting.

6. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Feb 17, 2012

If you have a time limitation, Read 180 probably isn't for you. I looked into it over the summer for an interview and it really requires the full 90 minutes a day. You might want to check out this website of a classroom that uses Read 180 in an elementary setting: http://www.read180.00freehost.com/index1.htm.

Also, you might want to look into System 44. It's also by scholastic and is apparently a more intensive version of Read 180. I'm not sure about the time requirements, but since you're in elementary, it might bean option.

7. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Feb 17, 2012

He does this outside of his general ed classroom.

8. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 18, 2012

Thanks for the website! That classroom had 15 students in it from grades 4-6 who met for 90 minutes a day in addition to their 90 minute gen ed block. I would actually love to do my own "reader's workshop" like that- but I just don't understand how they worked around the gen ed stuff. Of course students getting 90 minutes of intensive reading intervention a day will make a lot of growth, but that would mean they literally would miss science/social studies and most of writing every single day. How would we justify not giving them that curriculum at all? Also, pulling them out of the classroom for more than 20% of the time changes their placement on their IEP.

System 44 looked like it was for younger students and was totally phonics/decoding based- so not at all what they're looking for. We already have a phonics/decoding program for the younger kids- our problem is there is no "program" for older kids that can read but have no comprehension.

9. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 19, 2012

Read 180 is of virtually no help if not performed with fidelity.

10. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2012

System 44 can be used with older kids. But, it's for students who are not yet ready for Read 180. I've only seen Read 180 used during an entire class period.

11. comaba

comaba Cohort

Feb 19, 2012

My district uses Read 180 as a pull-out for 45 minutes every day, but it's not targeted for the special ed kids. It's used for students who test within a certain window on the state tests; that is, low achieving, but not the lowest.

Our lowest readers are in a different pull-out program, Corrective Reading. Most of the students in that program have IEPs.

12. lovebeingteach

lovebeingteach Companion

Feb 20, 2012

I did. I liked it. However, this program is designed for kids who can ALREADY READ! Most of my kids were beginning readers in middle school. There is a component to this program called "System 44." In my opinion, however, it is lacking. This is an expensive program, and you have to have access to decent, working computers, headphones, microphones, etc. If not properly funded, it will be a disaster. Good luck!

13. deefreddy

deefreddy Companion

Feb 24, 2012

Our high school uses Read 180 in the resource room for 50 minute class periods, so it is not being used with fidelity to the course, with readers who are reading 2-5 years below grade standard.

14. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Feb 27, 2012

I've only seen it used in a self-contained setting in the 90 minute blocks. I believe when I was subbing in the elementary school some of the lower students were pulled out for it, but I think it replaced their normal reading block. I could be mistaken though.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 27, 2012

I used to be an RSP teacher for just 1 yr back in 2006-07, but I don't think Read 180 was connected back then to a part of the RSP teacher's job, at least it sure wasn't for me. Nowadays, it seems that the RSP teachers teach that program as well as a part of their job. I know nothing about Read 180, it's before my time. I'm just glad I'm out of RSP & had switched to another field because being an RSP teacher isn't what it used to be from what I've seen.

What attracted me to being an RSP teacher back in the early 2000s was the small group setting where the kid was in RSP for anywhere from 30 min to 2 hrs. Those days are kind of over. You have just as big a class as the greneral ed class, which I never wanted & the same kids seem to be in your classroom for 2-3 times in the day for extended periods of time.