Has anyone turned their classroom into an escape room? Come talk to me!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cupcakequeen, Mar 22, 2019.

1. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Mar 22, 2019

I've seen a few things about using escape rooms in the classroom as a method of reviewing, and I would love to use it with my 5th graders for science before their big end of year exam. I do inclusion with a large group of resource students, and my co-teacher and I have been struggling to help this group with the vocab heavy science curriculum. They are super into anything hands-on, though, and as a result, we've done tons of projects this year, but I really want to do something different and I think they would be over the moon about doing an escape room.

The problem is, I have no idea where to start! What kind of puzzles do I need, and how do I incorporate actual relevant material into the puzzles and clues? For example, if I want them to review matter and energy, how do I make that material transfer into solvable puzzles?

Any and all suggestions, experiences, resources, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

3. rpan

rpan Cohort

Mar 22, 2019

I’ve entered students into an escape room competition and they had to create an escape room using specific items and with a specific theme and it was super fun for them.
    I think you can start with a clue or question card eg. how are the particles in a solid arranged and have the correct answer card hidden in a bag or box or shelf in the classroom with the combination number of a lock securing a small suitcase written at the back. Then in the small suitcase, another question card for another combination to a lock or a key taped to the back of the answer card. That key could open a money box with another clue card. You could use things like suitcases, money boxes, diaries with locks etc. A fantastic idea that students came up with was to place a key in a hose that was attached to the wall. To get the key in the hose, students had to find a clue that led to a magnet and they had to use the magnet to get the key out.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 22, 2019

First, go to a local escape room and play, to get an idea of how they run.a more complex one

I wouldn't try to create one on my own the first time I did one. If you look on TPT, there are a number of options, with different ways to execute them. I did one yesterday that students had to put the answers in on a Google form, but there was also an answer sheet so they could do it that way, as well.

My students really enjoyed it, so now I'm looking at acquiring a set of locks and boxes to do a "real" one. But I would not have felt comfortable starting at that level.

5. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Mar 22, 2019

Ooh, that sounds like a great idea!

6. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Mar 22, 2019

I spent a good chunk of my planning browsing TPT, it looks like there are some good options there! Thanks for the suggestion!

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 22, 2019

I’ve done two of them this year. The first one we got from the Breakout.edu website. The second one my partner teacher made. We have the Breakout sets. The kids like them.