Has anyone tried

Discussion in 'General Education' started by pwhatley, Jun 18, 2013.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 18, 2013

Eggspert in the classroom? I am really drawn to the idea of using this game with 3rd graders, but am unsure how well it actually works. If I could afford it, I would get the Smartboard response clickers, but I can't, so I'm looking for your reviews of Eggspert (if you have any). Thanks in advance!

3. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2013

I have it, but only used it for summer school when I had less than 10 students. The kids really like it. I think it could work as a small group activity in the regular classroom.

4. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jun 18, 2013

I have the old-school one where the "eggs" have to hook up to a central control. I think they have wireless ones now which would be a lot more convenient. That said, my old one works fine and I use it for science review the day before all of our tests, and then near SOL time I use it among other games. The kids like it a lot.

ETA: I used it in whole group with 16 or so kids. I put them on teams of 4 and only one person got to use the egg for each question. As long as the questions keep coming quickly, the kids stayed engaged. I let them have "lifelines" kind of like on the Millionaire show, so that kept them listening, too.

5. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2013

This is the version I have also.

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 18, 2013

Thanks, y'all! Your swift and pleasant replies are more than appreciated!

7. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Jun 18, 2013

I use it in my small groups. It keeps the students engaged, but sometimes they are so busy watching who will be called on they aren't thinking of an answer. I don't use the eggs that they can buzz in on because my students would race to buzz in and not have an answer. I find that the time it takes for Eggspert to select someone is a good wait time for them to come up with an answer if they aren't overly focused on who is going to be picked.

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 18, 2013

good idea, K1teach

9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jun 18, 2013

I have it. I bought the one with wires because I had read lots of bad reviews on the wireless one. That was a year and a half ago. Possibly the wireless has improved since then, but then maybe not.

I do enjoy it and so do the students. It is best for centers as there are 6 to click. They are mostly fun for games for review. All they do is they make a buzzing sound to see who is the first one to click. It is good for rote memory items, but it is a distraction for items that are higher order in Blooms and need more thinking. They just add some fun to learning, but not much else.

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 18, 2013

I LOVED it. The only reason I got rid of it was after I got my Mimio votes. I passed the eggspert on to another teacher.

11. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jun 18, 2013

I used it when I was student teaching, because my MT had it. We did a review game where I broke my class into teams (there were 25+ kids, so trying to keep them all engaged while only a few were playing was a challenge) and had representatives from the teams trade off the egg. I liked it! I did definitely have problems with kids trying to be the first one buzzed in before they even thought of an answer, but at least they were excited about trying to buzz in.

12. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 18, 2013

I think I will use it at my teacher table or as a small group activity, if I purchase the system.

13. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jun 18, 2013

That would definitely work! I will say the team method worked for me as a whole class activity, because the kids that weren't playing were invested in cheering on their teammate. :)

14. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 18, 2013

I did the team thing, too. Each question they rotated who had the buzzer. That way they were all a part of it. I stood in the middle so there was no problem with the cords reaching. The "prize" for winning would be getting their team name on the winners' poster. They fought hard for that! :)

15. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Jun 19, 2013

I used Eggspert in my 3rd grade classroom this year and my kids absolutely loved it! They already liked coming to my teacher station for small group and then when I starting using Eggspert they couldn't wait to rotate to my small-group! Get it!

16. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jun 19, 2013

I use the wireless version in HS for review games. The high schoolers think it's the coolest thing they've ever seen.