Has anyone tried this?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by SunShinePumper, Jan 18, 2007.

1. SunShinePumper

SunShinePumper Rookie

Jan 18, 2007

I have an ADHD student who has a very hard time focusing on any assignment. He is full of energy and always trying to get out of his seat. It was suggested that I give him something like a PVC pipe to roll under his feet while he works to help him burn some energy and focus.

Would this work or create bigger problems?

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 18, 2007

I've never heard or used that, BUT I read online somewhere about someone putting velcro inside the desk and have them use their hands while listening to the lesson. How they keep them from messing with it when they are supposed to write, etc I'm not sure.

4. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2007

I have heard of giving students pipe cleaners. The pvc pipe sound would drive me crazy tho!

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 18, 2007

Depends on the child. Every instance is different. I usually give mine a mini-koosh to keep in their desks and fiddle with quietly when they get antsey.

6. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Jan 18, 2007

I worked with a student once who just COULD NOT stay seated. I ALMOST bought him one of these types of machines but never went through with it...I thought if he kept it under his desk, he might be able to pedal and concentrate. I know some people with ADHD do find these helpful...

http://www.qvc.com/scripts/detail.dll?item=V19649

7. 101dalmatian

101dalmatian Companion

Jan 18, 2007

I've used the velcro "trick" with two students. It worked really well for one of them but the other didn't really care for it. It all depends on the child. For the student who used it, if he was getting restless I would walk by him and say "velcro". After a while be did it on his own.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 18, 2007

Whatever you give, it can't be something that distracts the other students. Also, with the feet movement, they will likely bend over and pick it up, or fiddle with it using their hands which would be distracting too. That pedal machine is flimsy and doesn't stay put. I have one. :) These thoughts are ALL on the right track though. It's so cool that you are considering something to help burn the excess motor because it really does help.

9. grade1teacher

grade1teacher Companion

Jan 18, 2007

I liked this idea because i founfd that other suggestions (stressball etc.) were great for the hands but that they were very visually distracting for the student. The velcro was great because it was under the seat and out of view from the student (and others) but still allowed the tactile stimulation. I knew though that I could count on the student to constantly be under the desk looking at it, so when i introduced it to her, I took her out of the room, told her that there was something under her desk that she could rub/play with her hands only since she like to use her hands so much. But I told her that she has one chance to see what it looks like and then it's hands only. I let her back into the room, she looked at it, said "hey, cool!" and sat in her seat.
    It might wear off in her mind after a while, so I would suggest to remind your student about what's there to help her.

10. catdog

catdog New Member

Jan 18, 2007

I've given squishy balls or objects to kids or a koosh ball to hold in their hands. The boundaries and expectations are given and if the student is out of control with the "toy" he/she loses his privilege. I teach fouth grade and I really haven't ever had any problems.

11. SunShinePumper

SunShinePumper Rookie

Jan 18, 2007

Thanks for all the great advice!

I think I'll try it starting Monday, I was thinking about covering it with foam or some sort of padding to cut down the noise.

Does anyone have any suggestions how talk to the student about using it, and what to say to curious classmates?

12. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 18, 2007

One school I worked at had the theraband stuff between the front legs of the chair for kids who needed something to kick. They could fidget with their feet and get the resistence but it didn't distract anyone else... and it doesn't go anywhere if you tie it tight enough. ;)

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 19, 2007

I LIKE THAT!! Of course lower elementary spends so much time on the floor too. WHat's some suggestions there. With our kiddo, it must be something he isn't going to LOOK at our use him hands due to the nature of sign language.

14. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 19, 2007

I have a basket at the front of my room filled with tension balls. I haven't bought any of them. They have all been goodies picked up at conventions or workshops. I explain to to the kids what they are far and that they are free to use one when they need it. They are very good about not playing with them. I started this with a boy about 5 years ago who was severely ADHD (his parents didn't believe in meds). He always had one and other kids would ask if I had more. I realized that even those who might not be ADD or ADHD had times when they were stressed. In fact that started going in my goodie bag for test week. I would give them a frog pencil and eraser (our test is LEAP and now iLEAP) and a couple of other little goodies. I buy small rubber balls (cheaper than tension balls) that they can roll around their desk or squeeze while testing. We all need those releases sometimes.
    I attended a class earlier this week on testing. They had baskets in front of everyone with pens, markers, postits, etc They also had tension "toys". There were little squeeze things that had their eyes poke out when you squeezed them, and small, plastic slinkies. I sat there with a small slinky just fiddling with it, it stopped my fidgeting and helped me focus more on what they were saying.

15. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jan 19, 2007

How does the velcro work?

16. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jan 20, 2007

I had this 1 girl last year who could not stay seated (this was in 2nd grade, though). She would just fall out of her chair, too, for no reason...well, mainly because she was so antsy. I got a big rubber ball and let her sit on it when she was like that. She never fell off the ball.

17. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Jan 20, 2007

I also use a theraband and hackey sack ball for my little guy. The ball helps keep his hands occupied and the band somehow helps him stay in his seat! I also use a deck of visual cue cards to help keep him on track.

18. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jan 21, 2007

I have used a Koosh ball or one of those balls that are hard and filled with sand, and during my lesson he is holding it and squeezing to take care of the stim. activities he would normally be doing, such as handling everything on his desk or on the work table on on another person! We also have a ball-type object that the child sits on (I don't know the actual name, I believe it is a sensory ball, we have nicknamed it the "udder ball" because the part that sits on the floor has these things that stick out that look like udders!) The child sits on that and can roll and/or bounce a little to get out the excess energy. The only problem with this is if the child is extremely active and bouncing hard up and down, the ball makes a noise which might prove distracting to others.

19. SunShinePumper

SunShinePumper Rookie

Jan 21, 2007

Thanks for the great ideas. My mother-in-law said that she also used playdough.

I think the ideas for his bottom and feet would work best because he has a need to get up frequently.

I'll keep yall posted.

20. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2007

The theraband sounds like a great idea!
    I would imagine koosh balls would be too distracting for the kids, though. If you have some kids who can deal with it and some who can't, it would be hard to give it to one without distracting the others.

I've seen some kids have a rubber thing to sit on. I think it has a little air pocket inside so you can move around on it without moving from your place, and little round spiky things for tactile stim. Don't know if it works, though, as I've only seen it while subbing short-term.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2007

We use OT balls for kids who need to move. They are kind of like those balls people use for working out except they have udder-like feet on the bottom to help keep them from rolling around. You have to teach the kids how to use the ball- slight rocking/movement is ok- it gives them some feeback and actuqally helps some kids stay focused on the lesson. I did have one kid though who popped one with an unbent paper clip.:eek:

We also use 'fidgits'- all those squishy hand things- you can get quitea variety at the dollar store.

22. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Jan 21, 2007

It is correct to say that some kids can handle a squishy ball while some can't. Outside of being very antsy, my little one is very well-behaved and uses the ball appropriately. Last year however, I had a child who couldn't handle it without throwing it at someone or something. So there you go.

Last week he came back from another class with a balloon filled with flour. It felt delightful! I wonder how long it will last. He brought it home so I can't tell you!

23. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2007

Lol, I can tell you from experience that the flour will be spraying all over before you know it, especially if it belongs to a kid who knows how to play!

24. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Jan 22, 2007

I'm sitting here by myself laughing my head off, picturing what you described. :eek: Thanks for giving me a good laugh to start my day. I really needed it!

25. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 22, 2007

I tell my kids that if I ever see the ball again (outside of the desk) or if it turns into a toy or distraction, I will take it bake. I have only had one child who abused the privilidge in 3 years.