Has anyone tried 1-2-3 Magic for teachers?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by aThriftyTeacher, Jul 24, 2010.

1. aThriftyTeacher

aThriftyTeacher Rookie

Jul 24, 2010

Hi...I got the book 1-2-3 Magic for Teachers from Amazon the other day and it's been a great read! I'll be a 3rd year teacher this fall and knew for sure I needed a more concrete management plan this year so this book seemed like a great idea. Upon reading it, it almost sounds to good to be true. I think it started originally as a book for parents dealing with kids at home and then since it was a big hit, they transformed an edition for teachers. I was just wondering if anyone has tried it and how it's worked for you. Thanks.

3. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 24, 2010

I've used it successfully for ADD/ADHD kids. They seem to respond to it partly because there are no drawn-out lectures anymore, just a predicable pattern of consequences.

In general, though, I don't like to use behavior modification training, and instead I focus on the message below the behavior. But that's me and my school philosophy.

Like I said, ADHD kids have a harder time learning emotional/social skills that help them behave so the 1-2-3-Magic has been useful with them.

4. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 24, 2010

I've used my own version of 1-2-3 Magic with Pre-K. I used the "stop" behavior part, but it seemed too intensive to use the "start" training part with 20 4-yr olds. I didn't know there was a "teacher" version... I'll have to check that out!

Since there was no "room" to send them to, I used a green chair (the thinking chair) that was different than all the others. It was away from the group, but in a place where they could see and hear what I was teaching. I set a timer for 4 minutes, and then asked if they were ready to make a good choice and return. Sometimes, they needed more time and I told them that they were welcomed back when they were ready.

At the end of the day, the students who were not sent to the thinking chair that day got to wear a happy face sticker home. I just didn't comment on anyone else... just silence. Usually, the repeat offenders would tell me they wanted to have a sticker and then we would talk about how they got to start over the next day and how they could earn a sticker. It was so much better than "changing cards" or lecturing. It was so cute when the other kids would "remind" the repeaters that they wanted a sticker. Mostly, they wanted to help... but you always have to watch the bossy ones.