Has anyone taken the GACE Basic Skills test?

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by savannahteacher, Mar 28, 2008.

1. savannahteacher

savannahteacher Rookie

Mar 28, 2008

I'm taking the test tomorrow (yikes!) and I'm really nervous about the basic skills math section. I am not strong in math, never have been, and while I know basic math I struggle with Geo. and "If train A leaves -- and Train B leaves -- when will they meet in ---" type stuff so I was just wondering if someone else had taken the test and could give me and idea of how bad it'll be. :) Thanks!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 30, 2008

Sorry I didn't get to this, savannahteacher. How did it go for you yesterday?

4. savannahteacher

savannahteacher Rookie

Mar 31, 2008

Hey! Well I feel really good about the reading & writing portions of the test, the math however, I just don't know. I'm hoping that I got enough of them right to pass but man I never realized how bad I was at fractions! LOL And boy the English content tests in the afternoon, let's just say the "sample" questions could have been a whole lot more helpful! Oh well, all I can do now is wait for my scores.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 31, 2008

You did basic skills and subject-area tests back to back? That makes for a long day, all right.

6. savannahteacher

savannahteacher Rookie

Apr 1, 2008

Well it sounded like a good idea to start with, lol. But yeah by the end of the day my brain was fried!

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 1, 2008

For many test takers in many circumstances, less is often more and more is often too darned much.

8. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

May 10, 2008

I took the 3 basic tests in March and passed them all!!!
    so glad that part is over with!

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 10, 2008

Congratulations, bridgetbordeaux!

10. nycpeach

nycpeach Rookie

May 13, 2008

I took the GACE Basic Skills and the Early childhood Content 1 and 2 and PASSED them all. It made the monstrous headache and two week depression afterwards all worth it! :!)

Now, off to find my dream job so I can get my non-renewable certificate!

11. arthur

arthur New Member

Jun 8, 2008

Just missed the deadline for registration.

I have to wait until August to take the basic skills and the ECE, on the same day. I do have my MS, but never took the ACT, SAT or GRE. I talked my way in. I wonder, would not be easier to just study for the SAT and take it before August? Also, I have purchased two books on Praxis for these tests and hope they will have enough content to that 220 score.

Did anyone else use the praxis guidebooks?

Also, if GACE tests are administered in other states, is it possible to visit that state and "practice" the test?

Just thinking out loud.

12. arthur

arthur New Member

Jun 8, 2008

Correction: That would be GACE type tests administered in other states.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 8, 2008

If you're asking if it's possible to find other states' test guides with practice questions, sure. California's tests are CBEST, http://www.cbest.nesinc.com, and CSET, http://www.cset.nesinc.com (though it's worth pointing that California has no early childhood education exam distinct from the K-6 exam). Praxis exams are at http://www.ets.org/praxis; look for Praxis, then for free test prep.

14. bridgetbordeaux

Jun 9, 2008

I would not study for the SAT or take it if you don't have to
    GACE Basic is pretty easy, to me it was easier than SAT
    but I took SAT many many years ago
    GACE is only a GA test, they switched it from Praxis
    dont' know why, guess coz we are in the bottom of the heap
    You will be fine to take the tests in the same day
    You get a break between the basic and the ECE
    It took me 3 hours to take all 3 basic tests
    good luck

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 9, 2008

In my experience, NES products (which include the GACE exams) are generally more civilized both as tests and administratively.

16. vajare

vajare New Member

Jun 12, 2008

gace

I took Basic Skills in March and passed. I am taking ECE parts 1 and 2 on Saturday. Any pointers?

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 12, 2008

Welcome to A to Z, vajare.

Pointers? Make sense. If a question is about classroom practice, imagine that it's the perfect classroom aside from the issue, that money is no object, and that kids are cooperative. Know what the state standards say for education at that level, and let that guide your answers.

Oh, one more thing: breathe, please.

18. bridgetbordeaux

Jun 13, 2008

Good Luck, I think you will do just fine!!

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 13, 2008

20. Peachy Mom

Peachy Mom New Member

Jul 11, 2008

Basic skills tests

Hi all,
    I am going to take the GACE Basic skills tests on Augst. And I have some questions to ask for the ones who passed them? First, do I have to state the reasons why I chose the answers in the selected -response Questions? Second, how did you get prepared for the Math test? And did you just review the formulas and definitions in the materials provided by the GACE?
    Looking forward to your reply...
    Thank you!

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 12, 2008

Welcome to A to Z, Peachy Mom.

It's generally the case on teacher tests that one needn't provide a justification for one's responses on multiple choice questions, though of course some questions may be designed to elicit reasoning rather than just a rote response.

I'm guessing from your post that you're most concerned about the math section of the GACE basic skills test. There are many books and Web sites for reviewing basic math, and for purposes of a teacher test, anything that gets you through eighth- to tenth-grade math will be more than enough.

It also makes sense to look for excuses to apply the math in your everyday life. If you study at a coffeehouse, try calculating the perimeter or circumference and area of the table you sit at. To practice working with percentages, try calculating your tip with pencil and paper, and then check the result using the tip calculator on your cell phone.

22. bridgetbordeaux

Jul 12, 2008

Peachy Mom,
    I was very worrried about the math part because that is my weakest subject. I ended up with my highest score in math!
    The only thing that was hard for me was probability. If you know basic geometry and algebra, you will be fine
    I think they may have had some formulas listed in the test booklet, but I can't remember exactly. I do know that it was not as bad as I had anticipated. If you graduated high school, you will do fine on the test. They will give you a subject to write about for the essay part. Good Luck, I know you will do fine. Eat breakfast before you go and relax.

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 12, 2008

Great advice and cheerleading, bridget!

24. bridgetbordeaux

Jul 12, 2008

thank you teacher groupie!!
    I am getting lots of good advice from this site so I want to help when I can

25. Peachy Mom

Peachy Mom New Member

Jul 13, 2008

thank you both for your advices.:up:

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 13, 2008

Probability's not so hard: it's always a fraction, like this:

outcomes you want
    possible outcomes

The probability of rolling a 3 with a standard six-sided die is 1/6 , because there are six possible outcomes, of which exactly one involves a 3):

The probability of rolling either a 2 OR a 3 is 1/3: to see this, list the total outcomes and note that two of those numbers, or 2/6 of the total, are red.

It's tidier, though, to calculate it: 1/6 +1/6 = 2/6 = 1/3. That is, if OR is involved, add, then reduce the fraction.

The probability of rolling two 3's in a row, or a pair of 3's on two dice - that is, a 3 AND a 3 - is 1/36. You can list all the possibilities, and note that these are ordered pairs: (2,3) is not the same outcome as (3,2):

(1,1) (2,1) (3,1) (4,1) (5,1) (6,1)
    (1,2) (2,2) (3,2) (4,2) (5,2) (6,2)
    (1,3) (2,3) (3,3) (4,3) (5,3) (6,3)
    (1,4) (2,4) (3,4) (4,4) (5,4) (6,4)
    (1,5) (2,5) (3,5) (4,5) (5,5) (6,5)
    (1,6) (2,6) (3,6) (4,6) (5,6) (6,6)

Again, though, it's tidier to calculate; since we want a 3 AND a 3, we multiply: 1/6(1/6) = 1/36

And the probability of rolling a 3 AND either a 2 or a 3 is 2/36 = 1/18:

(1,1) (2,1) (3,1) (4,1) (5,1) (6,1)
    (1,2) (2,2) (3,2) (4,2) (5,2) (6,2)
    (1,3) (2,3) (3,3) (4,3) (5,3) (6,3)
    (1,4) (2,4) (3,4) (4,4) (5,4) (6,4)
    (1,5) (2,5) (3,5) (4,5) (5,5) (6,5)
    (1,6) (2,6) (3,6) (4,6) (5,6) (6,6)

- that is, 1/6(1/6 +1/6) = 1/6(1/3) = 1/18.

Note that in each of these cases we're considering the two rolls together. The one tricky thing that happens in some tests is when you're told you've just rolled a 3 and you're asked the probability of rolling a 3 on the next roll. In that case, the rolls are actually separate outcomes, and the probability of that second roll coming out with a 3 is the standard 1/6.

27. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 14, 2008

Peachy,

I passed the Gace in October--mine was Special Ed/General Curriculum. I went to the GACE site and printed out the frameworks. Then I went thru all of my notes and reviewed. I actually got together with a group of other students, we divided up the frameworks based on which area a person was strongest in. Then we took the framework and defined it--put all info about it that we could. We created a notebook for each person in the group to study. It was a huge thing to do in the semester, but every single one of us who did it, passed--all with exceeded. I will say that 1. I am an overachiever and 2. I felt like we had a lot of stuff that the GACE never touched on. But I think the process in general, helped us tons!

As for the selected response--I remember stating my reasons. I don't know if it said to justify your response or not, but I know I did.

For the math, I reviewed the things that I had problems with and did some practice problems. Math isn't really my strong area, especially the probability stuff. What I found for the math, was that it was pretty basic stuff, nothing really major that needed long figuring out. The selected response will probably be something about why a student answered one way, and what the correct way is, and how to teach that way. That was in all the practice sessions I had.

Also--if you are a member of SPAGE, go to their site. They may be offering GACE study sessions in your area. I wish I had known about them. :)

GOOD LUCK!!!!!! :) It really isn't as terrible as it seems!

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 14, 2008

Go 4th, that sounds like a really good method for study and support. No wonder you and your group members succeeded!

29. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 15, 2008

Because it was for dual certification, our notebook was a big 3 inch one. I used up all my free printing at the college. :)
    But it was well worth the effort.

On a side note--I've done that also with my state standards--gone thru each one, found kids books that make connections, and have some basic/some detailed lesson plan ideas. I was getting worried about not knowing what I was teaching, and thought well, it worked for GACE. :)

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 15, 2008

Very good, Go 4th! The real point of these tests - GACE, CSET, TExES, Praxis II, whatever - is to get people enhancing their knowledge base so that they can better carry the knowledge forward into the classroom. Making connections is a huge part of that.

31. lilyrst

lilyrst New Member

Aug 5, 2008

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this so bare with me. I have a HUGE problem and need great advice or motivation from others. I have taken the GACE test 3 times and i've been so close on passing ALL 3 of them. I've come to a point that i'm not motivated anymore because i've studied so hard for this, but when it comes to the test i freak out and forget everything. I've been studying with a tutor recently but that doesn't seem to be working. My next opportunity to take it is Oct so i really need to pass this test. Any advice...???

32. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 5, 2008

That's a hard place to be, lilyrst, but you're by no means the only person in it. Have a hug.

Do you generally struggle on standardized tests?

33. lilyrst

lilyrst New Member

Aug 6, 2008

yes i do...i think i have test anxiety or something because i never seem to concentrate when i'm taking a test. My mind wonders...

34. bridgetbordeaux

Aug 6, 2008

My daughter has test anxiety also, lilyrst, and I know how frustrating it can be.
    Have you gotten a practice test book? I found it to be a great way to prepare me for the test. also, make sure you get enough sleep the night before and try to relax as much as you can. Good Luck in October!

35. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 6, 2008

lilyrst, do you work with kids at all? (This is not a digression.)

36. lilyrst

lilyrst New Member

Aug 6, 2008

i don't work with kids...but i love being around them they are so cute! I also bought the gace basic skills book and found some other material online and that's what i've been practicing. But i will not give up i will continue studying really hard and focusing in become a great teacher one day. :)

37. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 6, 2008

Okay, that's where I'm going with this. Instead of thinking about getting yourself through this thing, think about how you'd help some other desperately terrified soul through it. Stuck on a question? Ask yourself what you'd suggest to someone else.

38. lemongirl

lemongirl New Member

May 8, 2010

Any advice on what to study for Early Childhood Assessment?

Was the early childhood contents 1 and 2 hard? Did you use a study guide for studying? Any advice would be really helpful!!

39. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 8, 2010

lemongirl, welcome to A to Z. You're likelier to find a discussion of the Early Childhood content subtests under the Multiple Subject Tests subforum rather than here under Basic Skills; you can get there by using the Forum Jump tool in the lower left corner of this page.

40. teachergirl22

teachergirl22 New Member

Oct 30, 2014

GACE BASIC SKILLS TEST

Hello all,

I just recently took this exam, and upon the conclusion I was given some kind of score and percentage, but at the bottom of that I had NS. Does anyone know what this means, and if these score I was given is my actual score that I obtained on the exam?

Thanks in advance

41. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 30, 2014

I'm not sure. Basic skills tests usually include an essay component, so it's possible that the score you saw was just for the multiple-choice part(s).