has anyone sucessfully student taught without experince?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by strummercohen, May 28, 2016.

1. strummercohen

strummercohen Rookie

May 28, 2016

Hello I had a question for all of you teachers on here. Have any of you had a successful student teaching experience without any classroom experience at all. Most of the people in the graduate program in education that I am attending have had experience as a paraprofessionals before student teaching. I do not know if I will be able to have experience in a classroom before student teaching and I was wondering if there was any teachers on here who have successfully tackled student teaching (in graduate school and in college) without experience in a elementary or high school classroom? Please share your experience about how you went about doing it.

3. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

May 28, 2016

I had no classroom experience before student teaching. I was lucky in student teaching(although many would say unlucky or inappropriate) neither of my master teachers for 1st or 4th grade ever really made me run the classroom. The 1st grade teacher ask me what I wanted to do, I replied "observe" and that is what I did. 4th grade master teacher was similar. However, I did sub in the school where I student taught during my student teaching, this was invaluable. This is where I started to learn how to teach and gain confidence.

4. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

May 28, 2016

Most people's first time teaching is during their student teaching semester, which is during the last semester of your education program in college. It's called STUDENT teaching for a reason.
    Seriously, you'll be fine. Don't worry about it

5. strummercohen

strummercohen Rookie

May 28, 2016

Sorry for posting this in many threads, but I had to ask.
    I was wondering has anyone had a successful experience student teaching at the grade 5-12 level without any experience? I am a studying education right now, and I am not sure if I will be able to find a paraprofessional job at the grade 5-12 level (before student teaching) because the competition for jobs in my education district are very competitive. It intimidates me because everyone in my master's degree program is working as a paraprofessional in a school but I can't find a job as one. So, I was wondering, has anyone had a successful experience student teaching at the grade 5 to 12 level without any classroom experience and please tell me how you went about doing it.

6. strummercohen

strummercohen Rookie

May 28, 2016

I am not worried. I know my last messages on here have portrayed me to be a hot mess. But now I am just trying to find a way to make it through getting my degree without going crazy. Did you student teach without experience? Tell me your story.

7. strummercohen

strummercohen Rookie

May 28, 2016

If you are open to doing it . no demands.

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 28, 2016

The programs in California require teacher program candidates to accumulate about 45 hours of experience working with school age students and part of that time needs to be in a classroom setting. I was required to volunteer to get this experience (even while I was barely making ends meet with my part-time grocery store job). I didn't know this wasn't required in all states.

I don't think it made too much difference in my student teaching experience, but my time volunteering helped me to determine that yes, I wouldn't self-destruct when placed in a position working with MS to HS age students. I guess it might save people who might find out that they really don't like working with children from wasting their time and money pursuing a credential and student teaching. But if you're confident in knowing that you enjoy working with children, I don't think it would be an issue as my experiences in these positions didn't really lend anything towards my student teaching.

9. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

May 28, 2016

Duuude.. you only need to post it ONCE. We don't go through different forums to look at threads. Most people click on "new posts" or "recent posts" so what I see right now is all 3 of your threads of the exact same topic right in a row.

10. strummercohen

strummercohen Rookie

May 28, 2016

Sorry! I thought that by posting stuff in different forums I would be able to get more people to read it. I won't do that again. Please tell me if there is a way to take it down.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 28, 2016

For you to take it down? No. That's why A to Z has moderators. Two of your threads have been merged.

A post of yours on this topic that was added to a thread has been deleted.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 28, 2016

I was a PTO mom/volunteer before student teaching. I had also observed in quite a few classrooms as part of my program.

13. strummercohen

strummercohen Rookie

May 28, 2016

What do you mean when you said that you were a pto mom and volunteer? Can you Tell me more about your experiences and how they helped you student teach.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 28, 2016

I was in both of my sons' classroom as s volunteer from PreK to about 2nd grade. Their teachers appreciated my help in running centers, creating materials,chaperoning field trips, organizing class parties, doing BBs... As a PTO mom, I organized many events, ran fundraisers, interacted with faculty and administration. All of this gave me a good look at both classroom and school cultures.

15. strummercohen

strummercohen Rookie

May 28, 2016

What grade level did you end up student teaching at?

16. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 28, 2016

Only teaching experience I had prior was 100 hours sitting in a classroom "observing" - basically show up, write a few notes, get paper signed, and leave. Nothing of real value. I loved my middle school teaching position, but it took me awhile to warm up to the high school (it was more of the setting than anything else...).

17. strummercohen

strummercohen Rookie

May 28, 2016

So u mean to Tell me that you had no experience working as a paraprofessional or volunteer in a classroom before your student teaching and you were still successful? Can you tell me more about your experience if you can?

18. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 28, 2016

I only know of two people in "real life" that had para-professional experience prior to student teacher. Most student teachers have had experience observing in a classroom (Altogether, I had about 400, but that was way more than most student teachers)... 100-150 hours of observation is reasonably typical.

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 28, 2016

The idea behind student teaching is to give you classroom experience. I think many enter their student teaching with not having had any prior experience.

ChildWhisperer likes this.
  20. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

May 28, 2016

Like I said, most people have no classroom experience (other than sitting/observing) before student teaching. If you're a full-time college student (the route most people take), when are you supposed to get this experience?
    The only experience I had was working in a daycare before starting grad school.

21. strummercohen

strummercohen Rookie

May 28, 2016

Are to mock me in some way because I have talked about working in daycare while going to grade school? If you are that's just nasty and I have done anything too deserve to be mocked by you. I find it highly suspicious that u would talk about working in a daycare like that.

22. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 28, 2016

There was nothing remotely mocking about the post you are referring to.

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 28, 2016

??? You asked for our experiences. That's what you have received.

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 28, 2016

"Grad school" means graduate school - as in a master's program - not grade school.

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 28, 2016

Typo?

26. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

May 28, 2016

Excuse me? You need to calm down and learn to read.
    I was not mocking you in any way! I was telling you MY experiences, like you asked! After college, I worked at a daycare, THEN I went to grad school after I discovered I really liked working with kids. And I am ALWAYS grateful for my job at that daycare. That's how I ended up here; I didn't go to college for education (my BA degree was in english/creative writing)

27. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 28, 2016

This post is confusing. I don't see any mocking.

What am I missing?

To answer the original question, I had observed in classrooms and taught a few lessons to my college peers and the kids in the classes I observed, but I had no other experience than that. I didn't know anyone with para experience but several of my classmates had worked in daycare facilities. I've never subbed. My only experience in teaching other classes that are not mine are days admin wants us to switch positions for a few hours to appreciate everyone's job or covering a class for an hour in emergency situations. My student teaching time was the first instance of being the person "in charge" so to speak.

28. strummercohen

strummercohen Rookie

May 28, 2016

I am sorry I got so defensive and accused you of mocking me child whisper (that's some username by the way where did you get it)? I have just dealt with so much mess in my life I am going crazy and I am tired of people walking all over me. So, now I feel the need to stand up for myself. I get that you weren't mocking me. That is okay.

29. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

May 28, 2016

Why would you even think I was mocking you though? What in my post made you think that at all? I didn't say anything that would've made you or anyone so defensive.

Some of my old coworkers called me the child whisperer. That's why I used that name

30. strummercohen

strummercohen Rookie

May 28, 2016

Yes it was a typo.

31. strummercohen

strummercohen Rookie

May 28, 2016

I thought u were mocking me because of my own insecurities I projected on you for no good reason. Sorry.

32. strummercohen

strummercohen Rookie

May 28, 2016

Thanks child whisper and everyone for their experiences of student teaching without teaching experience. Keep them coming! Lets keep talking about this topic if we can! I could use all the examples I can get and I won't get defensive and accuse anyone of mocking me, I promise!

33. strummercohen

strummercohen Rookie

May 28, 2016

what grade level did you student teach in? Where do u teach now?

34. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

May 28, 2016

We all have our stories. I was a former prosecutor and private attorney before I went back to school, so I had no teaching experience when I started the program a couple years ago.I could define my student teaching as a success and a failure all in one 4 month session. I was actually a decent prosecutor but I started feeling sorry for some of the people I was convicting. I wish you luck on your journey.

35. strummercohen

strummercohen Rookie

May 28, 2016

Thank u

36. bros

bros Phenom

May 29, 2016

I student taught without any paid experience - before that, I had only had:
    One semester (15 weeks), where I observed for 72.5 hours
    Two semesters (30 weeks) where I observed once a week and taught 20 lessons

I did well in my student teaching

37. strummercohen

strummercohen Rookie

May 29, 2016

Did you have any experience teaching a classroom before your student teaching? Which grade level do you teach now? Which subject?

38. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

May 29, 2016

I had very little experience outside of required practicum and observation hours. Interestingly, I knew I wanted to be a teacher in high school, but thought I wanted to teach younger kids, so I volunteered in elementary schools to read to children and I also helped out in a middle school science classroom (a friend of my mom's). In college I decided to be a high school teacher and I had no experience at that level. Most of my practicum was at the HS level, however it was mostly observations and I did a few lessons.

That being said, student teaching was very hard for me and I'm not going to get into the specifics, but I'm just glad it was only 12 weeks. It made my first year teaching feel like a breeze!

39. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 29, 2016

I had a split ST experience. 1/2 in a university based child development center and half in an inner-city Title 1 elementary school, grade 3.

40. strummercohen

strummercohen Rookie

May 29, 2016

41. strummercohen

strummercohen Rookie

May 29, 2016

What responsibilities did you have when you helped out in your mom's friends classroom?